PDA

View Full Version : The order of things?

JByrd
01-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Hi, everyone...new to the forum, and inexperienced with detailing on the level I'm about to undertake.

I have a black '96 BMW Z3 which has spent the last decade as an autocross car. Although it is extremely well maintained, the priority has been on performance...not on maintaining that "showroom look." The finish has lots of swirls, scuffs and scratches from years of hitting cones and having folks lean all over it in crowds, commercial car washes, etc. Most of the scratches are light, but some are deeper and go through the clear coat. Additionally, there is road rash and a few chips to deal with.

My question is this: Should I take care of the obvious paint touch up situations first and then attack the swirls and light scratches...or should I polish the car first?

Mike Phillips
01-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Hi JByrd,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline... :welcome:

Most of the scratches are light, but some are deeper and go through the clear coat. Additionally, there is road rash and a few chips to deal with.

My question is this:

Should I take care of the obvious paint touch up situations first and then attack the swirls and light scratches...

or

should I polish the car first?

You can do it either way. I'd probably buff the car out first, see what, (if any), of the defects you can eliminate or reduce to the point they don't bother you and then do your touch-up work.

Tip: After applying any touch-up paint, make sure to let it set till fully dry and hardened before doing any sanding and buffing to flatten and blend it.

:)

JByrd
01-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Thank you, Mike...that makes sense. Your paint advice will be heeded.

Pureshine
01-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Welcome to AGO :)

Just02896
01-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Mike is right on point as always!
Welcome to AGO! Now post some pics and get to polishing! :-)