PDA

View Full Version : What goes wrong with the gg6?

pld
01-06-2014, 06:42 AM
I know there's an awesome warranty for the Griots GG6 but being from Canada and having to ship it back to the United States is a PIA. Are the problems just trigger switches and putting backing plates with no washers on; I can't see it being the motors are burning out because of the amount of power they have .Thank's

swanicyouth
01-06-2014, 06:49 AM
My guess is people are over stressing them by constantly running them hot causing some type of electrical melt down or malfunction that is cumulative over time. My theory is if you take care not to get the machine super hot it will be fine.

Of course it is made in China - so there will be a certain amount of duds. As for what exactly goes wrong - with a lifetime warranty on the machine, I don't think many would be willing to crack it open to see what failed for fear of voiding the warranty. Most people are just going to ship it to Griot's for a new one.

ken tuep
01-06-2014, 07:24 AM
I've owned mine for over 2 years with no issues. Mine has probably logged close to 150 hours on it. I originally used it for all my correction jobs, but since getting a flex 3401, it has had a 3" backing plate and small pads for tighter spots.

I would guess the main issue is over heating, which might be avoidable by not covering the cooling passages with your hands, and allowing 5-10 minutes of cool down halfway through your job. Another thing to avoid overheating is to use a heavy gauge extension cord.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

mbkite
01-06-2014, 09:37 AM
The bearing for the counter weight shaft went on mine. I am on v3 so far so good..

GenesisCoupe
01-06-2014, 10:14 AM
I heard of overheating, however while using one few months ago there was significant wind being extracted from the machine. Way more than my PC7424. Now my Flex is just whacko :)

brianch
01-06-2014, 10:59 AM
I've owned mine for over 2 years with no issues. Mine has probably logged close to 150 hours on it. I originally used it for all my correction jobs, but since getting a flex 3401, it has had a 3" backing plate and small pads for tighter spots.

I would guess the main issue is over heating, which might be avoidable by not covering the cooling passages with your hands, and allowing 5-10 minutes of cool down halfway through your job. Another thing to avoid overheating is to use a heavy gauge extension cord.

What does a GG6 look like with a 3" BP and pad? How are the vibrations?

ski2
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Had my GG DA for over 2 years also and it's the only DA I have so gets used top to bottom with 5.5" pads and for all the small bits with a 4" pad. It's the model with the 10' cord and I use a 12' 16 guage 2 way extension (recommended by Griots). Use speed six pretty often and I've never had a problem.

swanicyouth
01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
What does a GG6 look like with a 3" BP and pad? How are the vibrations?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/07/8ybe9a7y.jpg

It works fine.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/07/a8ezydyp.jpg

Pureshine
01-06-2014, 11:45 AM
I've had a 3rd jen one for a awhile never a problem. I know the 1st and 2nd jen had some problems but the 3rd jen ones are really good.

ken tuep
01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
It may be a bit smoother with the smaller BP and pads. I know it works phenomenally.

Flash Gordon
01-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Take it easy on the cord when you are done using

Woob
01-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Gen 2 working just fine, it does wax/AIO duties thanks to the Rupes. On the high speed 6 it can go a bit insane from what I hear if you are doing paint correction. Bushing, heating, and over use are all issues I've heard. All remedied by Griot's Garages AWESOME customer service.

brianch
01-07-2014, 12:32 AM
with a 3" pad would you say it corrects better than a PC with a 3"??

it seems like the shroud overhangs the BP

Woob
01-07-2014, 02:20 PM
with a 3" pad would you say it corrects better than a PC with a 3"??

it seems like the shroud overhangs the BP

Definitely, however with a 3inch I would watch what you are polishing over relying on the power of either machine.