PDA

View Full Version : Starting Small! Taking A Chance!

Pages : [1] 2

avhs05
01-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum but I've been reading up on here for a while. Anyways just like the title says, I've come to the decision to try and start up a small business in mobile detailing. I currently work a Monday through Friday so I would try to do a couple cars over the weekend. I've read up on a few stickies and what not but I'd still like some advice from individuals that have been in the business for a while. I don't have a truck but I do have a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. It's a smaller type of SUV. I'm thinking about possibly purchasing a water tank to fit in the back. I don't have a pressure washer or generator yet. I'm looking at purchasing some of my chemicals from the chemical guys but will pick up other things at local retailers. I am not gonna start off doing super big details, just your basic wash and interior cleaning(vacuum and wipe down the inside), and tire shine. My whole thing is to sell a 100% handwash but have come to the realization that I will still need to rinse the cars unless I use a rinseless wash like the turtle wax. I'm not looking to make a whole bunch of money but am looking to start those services at $25 for everything. I'm just tired of working for someone but obviously can't just quit my job right away. I figure if I can get six cars on a weekend that would be great. Any input or private messages would be really appreciated. I'm currently living in Southern California, Upland area. Feed back please

wlshephard
01-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Good luck. Check these out.

The $500 Mobile Detailing Startup - A Simple Walk Through (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/64194-500-mobile-detailing-startup-simple-walk-through.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/27823-how-put-up-website-about-20-00-year.html

TundraPower
01-06-2014, 12:45 PM
You can make as much or as little as you want in detailing. Good luck!

Flash Gordon
01-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Don't cheat yourself. $25 details are a waste of your time

Pureshine
01-06-2014, 01:38 PM

:iagree:

Justin M.
01-06-2014, 06:45 PM
I don't know how much you have read, but continue to read and research. Here are a few good ones:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/27827-few-tips-starting-part-time-detailing-business.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/58359-how-use-one-step-cleaner-wax-maximize-profits.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/20551-mindset-professional-detailer.html?highlight=mindset+professional+detai ler

I recommend these books, they were/are a big help for me (mostly Renny's book):

Detailing Book Combo, auto detailing business plan, car detailing books, renny doyle book (http://www.autogeek.net/auto-detailing-business-books.html)

You don't need a water tank, pressure washer, or generator. Just make it clear in your sales/marketing/advertising that you require a water hookup and electricity. I use my family minivan as my mobile detailing rig, just use what works.

I also agree. Good luck!

Cosmin
01-06-2014, 06:55 PM
start up a small business in mobile detailing.
Any input or private messages would be really appreciated.

i hope you start small and think big , if not you waist your time...
have a realistic business plan and goals.
good luck

avhs05
01-07-2014, 12:41 AM
Hey guys thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate all the input. I'm going to look into those books and read up some more. There is a guy at work that wants to go in on the business with me but I'd rather try it out on my own. Yea you are right Cosmin, gotta think big!!! I was looking at possibly picking up some stuff from chemical guys..like their hoseless car wash. What do you guys think? I'm also planning on getting a few grit guards and other things. Do you guys think I should go with microfiber towels or something like the Absorber?

avhs05
01-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Thanks Justin! I plan on using my girlfriends outlander sport since it is bigger...and well I did cosign for her lol. SO technically it's partly mine =) lol

Justin M.
01-07-2014, 01:03 AM
Hey guys thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate all the input. I'm going to look into those books and read up some more. There is a guy at work that wants to go in on the business with me but I'd rather try it out on my own. Yea you are right Cosmin, gotta think big!!! I was looking at possibly picking up some stuff from chemical guys..like their hoseless car wash. What do you guys think? I'm also planning on getting a few grit guards and other things. Do you guys think I should go with microfiber towels or something like the Absorber?

You will definitely need an assortment of MF towels, see this thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23084-how-many-microfiber-polishing-cloths-do-i-need-detail-my-car.html

Chemical Guys has some good stuff and there are many other good professional grade brands out there. I like Optimum No Rinse for rinseless washing. You just have to figure out what you need for what services you will be performing, then search and try stuff out.

One thing I would suggest is try to use multi-purpose products as much as you can. For example, Meguiar's all purpose cleaner, hyper dressing, Klasse AIO, ONR for quick detailer/clay lube, etc...there are a zillion products out there for every tiny part of detailing you could imagine.

DaVinciAutoSpa
01-07-2014, 01:05 AM
No biz partners, ...do it alone. Books are fine but youll learn more by doing. By just saying you're going to do interior wipe downs and wash n waxes u are limiting your clientele. Practice on relatives cars that are really dirty.

That way you'll be somewhat prepared when u run into trashed minivans, etc. Most folks care more about inside than paint correction.

Youre going to be tired and ur weekends are now occupied by details. Look at your competition and what they charge and what packages they offer.

What equipment do u have or are getting? How much can u afford? What about liabilty? What if u jack up clients car? What if a client wants you to perform a task you've never done,....what will u say?

Good luck and I hope u make a lot of money. Ask me anything if u want to.

avhs05
01-07-2014, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the link Justin! Just got done reading it. I've been using meguiars quick detailer for my personal vehicle. The one specifically made for black cars. I just purchased another one to try on the outlander since it's a dark rally red. I don't plan on hand waxing since it would take quite a long time but I've become good with the quick detailer wax. I plan on using that too.

avhs05
01-07-2014, 01:28 AM
I'm going at it alone davinci. Do you think it is necessary to obtain a business permit even though it's a part time thing? Also insurance? I plan on spending about $500 to start up.

DaVinciAutoSpa
01-07-2014, 01:33 AM
I'm going at it alone davinci. Do you think it is necessary to obtain a business permit even though it's a part time thing? Also insurance? I plan on spending about $500 to start up.

Get the license. Insurance is expensive. Whatever u decide be honest with ur clients. If ur not insured tell them. Have them sign liability waivers. Google search, save to word, add ur biz name. Client signs before u begin work. Never had a client not sign it.

avhs05
01-07-2014, 01:38 AM
If I get the license that means I will have to pay taxes correct? Also set up a business account?