PDA

View Full Version : question on wax and sealent combinations

mliebs8
07-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm getting ready to start detailing my vehicles and want to get an idea if these polishes and sealents will be good and also which wax i should use. The cars I have are a 2006 hyundai sonata (silver) and a 2007 Hummer H3 (white). On the sonata I'm going to use the Menzerna instensive polish, final polish, and wolfgang sealent. On the Hummer is the final polish, and wolfgang sealent. What would be a good wax to top this off with? I live in Houston where it's hot and humid and I only want to have to detail the cars like this every 3 or 4 months. Is the Wolfgang a good enough polish or should I look at something more durable. Also would the sealent additive help? Any help would be appreciated.

D
07-01-2007, 02:55 PM
The WG sealant is said to be great on darker colors. But Ive heard the durability is nothing stellar. For you, Id recommend DG #105. It says it lasts up to 1 year.

As for wax, you could go with Liquid Souveran, or DP Max Wax.

Jimmie
07-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Some excellent choices IMO. With silver and white I'd top the WGPS with Liquid Souveran or Souveran Sig Series II.

bambo2888
07-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I personally love the WG DGPS and everything about it. The best way to ensure durability with this product is to make sure everything is cleansed and cured before you got ahead with the sealant. I love it.

I did a black 325i this morning and used WG DGPS. Its been a while since I sealed a car and I was pleased and refreshed on how much I love this product.

mliebs8
07-01-2007, 04:09 PM
My plan is to wash and clay the car on Friday afternoon, then polish it Friday night. On Saturday I plan on putting the sealent on and then Sunday morning putting on a wax. Does this sound logical. I miss the days when I could take the old can of simoniz, turtle wax, raindance or whatever my dad had and just wax it and be happy.

D
07-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Sounds good to me. Just make sure you wipe the car down with a good QD and microfiber to prevent from creating swirls. I actually might wash it on Saturday morning before applying the sealant. With the WG sealant, apply it, then buff off 45 min later, then apply your wax 12- 24 hours later.

Jimmie
07-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Between the polish and applying sealant, Id go with either paintwork cleansing lotion or at least another wash. Many on here will differ with that sequence. It's just what I do to remove any oils and residue from polishing.

mliebs8
07-01-2007, 04:37 PM
What is QD and cleansing lotion? also on the sealent do I just work it into the paint with the buffer like I would a wax or polish? As far as the wax goes I think I'm going to go with the liquid souveran it seems to get some pretty good reviews. Thanks again for everyones help.

Thejoyofdriving
07-01-2007, 05:09 PM
What is QD and cleansing lotion? also on the sealent do I just work it into the paint with the buffer like I would a wax or polish? As far as the wax goes I think I'm going to go with the liquid souveran it seems to get some pretty good reviews. Thanks again for everyones help. QD stands for quick detailer, cleansing lotion is a product which you apply to your paint to clean off all oils and grime to prep the paint for wax. you want to make sure the car is clean before you apply wax, if you are going to leave the car outside for a few hours, i would rewash, QD's can sometimes have oils in it that can interfere with the wax bonding.

D
07-01-2007, 05:13 PM
What is QD and cleansing lotion? also on the sealent do I just work it into the paint with the buffer like I would a wax or polish? As far as the wax goes I think I'm going to go with the liquid souveran it seems to get some pretty good reviews. Thanks again for everyones help.

You can apply waxes and sealants either by hand or with the buffer. Read the directions on AG. I just applied my WG sealant by hand, as well as all my waxes except Liquid Souveran. That gets applied with the buffer and Edge red pad.

Jimmie
07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
QD=Qiuck Detailer, each brand has their own QD.
Cleansing Lotion=non abrasive chemical paint cleaner. Pinnacle or P21S.
Sealant and wax= I apply and remove by hand. I'd go with the times that D&D Auto Detailing had in his post.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-01-2007, 06:25 PM
QD stands for quick detailer, cleansing lotion is a product which you apply to your paint to clean off all oils and grime to prep the paint for wax. you want to make sure the car is clean before you apply wax, if you are going to leave the car outside for a few hours, i would rewash, QD's can sometimes have oils in it that can interfere with the wax bonding.

Any QD's in particular? What about if I am using ONR as a QD, what about meg's QD?