PDA

View Full Version : The Two-Sided Microfiber Towel: RIP

Shortspark
01-05-2014, 03:33 PM
We all know that many mf towels come with a short nap side and a more plush, longer nap side. We also know the reason for this is that the short nap is best for removing wax, sealants, etc. and the longer nap provides for maximum protection of the paint when applying QD, rinseless and waterless washes. And of course waffle weave towels are generally designated as drying tools.

While all this is fine and good, I believe the two sided towel is obsolete. That is to say, products have become very specific in their use and a towel used to remove wax, eg, is seldom used for anything else. Ditto a plush, waterless wash towel that even if it has a short nap side is seldom used for removing wax, or anything else for that matter.

I know that buffing is important after removing wax, QD and even after drying but I have dedicated, plush towels for that. If I use a short nap towel to remove wax I also have a second, super plush towel for buffing. And for a rinsless or waterless towel I see no reason whatsoever for a short nap towel to begin with. I just think that a "one towel fits all" is no longer relevant.

So, what do you all think - is the two sided towel now obsolete?

Klasse Act
01-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Well when I do the GD method I use the short nap side to clean my windows, front grill and rear valance panel since none of these surfaces are painted.

I have Griot's mf towels for polish and wax/sealant removal, white for wax/sealant and yellow for polish, I would also add compound in there as well.

In closing I still have/use 2 sided mf towels FWIW.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

wlshephard
01-05-2014, 04:06 PM
I prefer one towel has one job. I can see if you are on a budget or mobile a two sided towel would be handy. But to each his own. I don't think there is one right way for everyone.

tpr1634
01-05-2014, 04:35 PM
For me I really like chemical guys Sasquatch micro, same nap on both sides very plush. They also have Mrs. Sasquatch which is pink. Price wise more you buy the cheaper they get.:buffing:

FUNX650
01-05-2014, 04:37 PM
So, what do you all think - is the two sided towel now obsolete?
IMHO: No, not really.

I also disagree with putting limits at what tasks certain "types" of microfiber towels are best able to perform.

But...to iterate: To each their own.

Bob

Pureshine
01-05-2014, 05:23 PM
I love the two side towel and will always use them. I can by one kind of towel for two different jobs rather than wasting money and buying two different ones. With that said I do have supper plush ones for soft paint which I don't use very often mostly on Porches. As some people have said what ever works for you is all that matters really.