PDA

View Full Version : Car Leather Coating On A Sofa?

Ed_H
01-05-2014, 02:55 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used any of the leather coatings on a leather sofa? We have a light color leather sofa and the oils from our dog's coat tend to break down the clear coating on the leather. We have had it refinished once and I thought either the Cquartz or Pinnacle Black Label leather coating might help protect it. Any input is appreciated.

aim4squirrels
01-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Test in an inconspicuous location like underneath the sofa and see if there is any discoloration.

I can't see a reason it wouldn't work, but always, always do a test spot first.

hernandez.art13
01-05-2014, 03:18 PM
^ I agree.

Also the only other thing that would concern me is if it has hazardous chemicals that would be harmful to the human body.

Just a thought: sitting in a car vs laying down and sleeping on your couch throughout the year might differ. :dunno:

Ed_H
01-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Test in an inconspicuous location like underneath the sofa and see if there is any discoloration.

I can't see a reason it wouldn't work, but always, always do a test spot first.

A test spot is a great idea. The description for Cquartz here on AG says it can be used on furniture but I don't see that referenced on CarPro's site.

Ed_H
01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
^ I agree.

Also the only other thing that would concern me is if it has hazardous chemicals that would be harmful to the human body.

Just a thought: sitting in a car vs laying down and sleeping on your couch throughout the year might differ. :dunno:

I had not thought about any toxicity issues but that is worth checking into. I'll contact a couple of the manufacturers and see if I can get an answer.

aim4squirrels
01-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Honestly, the leather on car seats and the leather in couches isn't much different, it's all tanned hide.

It might be a bit heavier in cars and coated more thickly, but I imagine coatings on each are similar enough that the car care products will work regardless.

There's probably a good number of leather cleaners that can help remove some of the dog oil stains. The only thing I might recommend against is a conditioner if you are going to use an actual coating to protect the surface.

Adding oils and softening agents seems like it would keep the coating application from adhering to the hide or manufacturer applied coating.

I just did my entire interior with the pinnacle black label leather and vinyl coating and I can tell you first hand the seats and steering wheel both feel amazing. Much easier to slide around in the seat, and from what I've been told about light colored leathers, it keeps blue jean color transfer from sticking to the seats.

Ed_H
01-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Honestly, the leather on car seats and the leather in couches isn't much different, it's all tanned hide.

It might be a bit heavier in cars and coated more thickly, but I imagine coatings on each are similar enough that the car care products will work regardless.

There's probably a good number of leather cleaners that can help remove some of the dog oil stains. The only thing I might recommend against is a conditioner if you are going to use an actual coating to protect the surface.

Adding oils and softening agents seems like it would keep the coating application from adhering to the hide or manufacturer applied coating.

I just did my entire interior with the pinnacle black label leather and vinyl coating and I can tell you first hand the seats and steering wheel both feel amazing. Much easier to slide around in the seat, and from what I've been told about light colored leathers, it keeps blue jean color transfer from sticking to the seats.

I have a few leather cleaners already so I'll go ahead and order the Pinnacle leather and vinyl coating and try it on a hidden area first.

Thanks for the help.

Rmd
01-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I applied Ultima interior guard to my leather sofa and chair after cleaning them with Ultima interior shampoo gel and it worked great. Neat soft feel to the leather.

Ed_H
01-10-2014, 12:25 PM
I applied Ultima interior guard to my leather sofa and chair after cleaning them with Ultima interior shampoo gel and it worked great. Neat soft feel to the leather.

Thanks for the info...Any idea how long the Ultima Interior Guard lasts?

wdmaccord
01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
I haven't tried coatings, but I have used CG Leather Cleaner and CG Pure Leather Conditioner on a couple 100% leather chairs (Natuzzi) and they worked great. I did do a couple test spots first just to make sure the cleaner didn't extract any of the color.

jfelbab
01-10-2014, 07:32 PM
I've always used Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner and Leather Masters Protection Cream on my Italian Leather sofa and loveseat. No issue with it and my dogs. This furniture is over 10 years old I've had dogs through this period. These are the same products I use in my vehicles.

spiralout462
01-10-2014, 10:14 PM
I've always used Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner and Leather Masters Protection Cream on my Italian Leather sofa and loveseat. No issue with it and my dogs. This furniture is over 10 years old I've had dogs through this period. These are the same products I use in my vehicles.

Good stuff for sure! Household, autos and apparel!:xyxthumbs:

Ed_H
01-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks for all the help...I ordered Leather Masters Cleaner and Protection Cream. Looks like great stuff!!