PDA

View Full Version : new here

Mike.Almy@UltimateAutoDetailing
01-04-2014, 10:32 PM
hello I'm mike and I'm recently started a detailing business in north florida and basically need all the advice I can get. right now I'm working with low end supplies and want to start improving my equipment and chemicals. the first things I want to get are a good circular and rotary polisher. any suggestions on what would be the best for heavy use. I was thinking about going with FLEX but am not sure. also any business advise is great.

any help would be appreciated
thanks

Bill1234
01-04-2014, 10:48 PM
hello I'm mike and I'm recently started a detailing business in north florida and basically need all the advice I can get. right now I'm working with low end supplies and want to start improving my equipment and chemicals. the first things I want to get are a good circular and rotary polisher. any suggestions on what would be the best for heavy use. I was thinking about going with FLEX but am not sure. also any business advise is great.

any help would be appreciated
thanks

If you dont know how to use a rotary, you should not buy one right off the bat, buy a da,pads and compound. Low end products are not really going to work in a shop. They are just not good enough to get good results from the work.

Znig22
01-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Research research research... Welcome to AG by the way. All the info will be found in this site.

Evan.J
01-04-2014, 11:30 PM
If you dont know how to use a rotary, you should not buy one right off the bat, buy a da,pads and compound. Low end products are not really going to work in a shop. They are just not good enough to get good results from the work.

Welcome to the forum!

I will agree with Bill if you have no knowledge or experience on a rotary stay far far away.

My advice is to get training before doing any work you need knowledge skill and technique to do detailing and do it well. Doing work without proper knowledge will get you into trouble very very quickly and can leave you in a hole quicker than you can sell your next job.

You have come to the right place to learn

Here is a great place to start reading a learning:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Hi Mike, welcome to AGO.

Welcome to the forum!

I will agree with Bill if you have no knowledge or experience on a rotary stay far far away.

My advice is to get training before doing any work you need knowledge skill and technique to do detailing and do it well. Doing work without proper knowledge will get you into trouble very very quickly and can leave you in a hole quicker than you can sell your next job.

You have come to the right place to learn

Here is a great place to start reading a learning:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html

:iagree:

Coach Steve
01-05-2014, 02:37 AM
Can't express to you how important and true the advice already given regarding the rotary is. Until you have spent enough time behind one and you have insurance, you are just setting yourself up for a repaint and a pissed-off customer who will do irreparable damage to your reputation and business name and that's not something you want or need right out of the gates. You can literally go from hero to zero in the blink of an eye with a rotary because it only takes a second too long in a thin enough spot to burn right through the clear coat and into the paint. Not trying to sound like your guidance counselor or worse yet... your dad, rather trying to offer some good advice from someone who's been there, done that in hopes that you can learn from and appreciate the mistakes of those who have gone before you.
Now, having said that, by all means, I recommend you get a good rotary and become proficient at it - it will save you lots of time in some situations. And at some point while you're learning how to use it, something will happen or almost happen and you'll reflect back to this thread and it will all make perfect sense - I hope.
Welcome to AGO!!

01-05-2014, 12:13 PM
thanks for all the advice but I actually have a bit of experience with rotarys. my brother used to detail and he kind of trained me on how to use them. so from the experience I do have I know everything you guys are saying is true. I have basically all the bare essentials but it's all low end products and I need to start impoving that if I want to grow my business. if anybody has a recommendation for the best polishers for everyday use it would be greatly appreciated. like I said that's just the first thing I want to get. I was thinking about gioing with the flex 3401/wolfgang ult combo. what are your thoughts on that?

thanks.

rms64
01-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Hi from Orlando and welcome to the forum.

If you're anywhere in the area, feel free to pm me and I'd be glad to let you "try before you buy" - I have a Flex and Griot's DA.

Again, welcome!

HateSwirls
01-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Welcome:dblthumb2:

A rotary can be your best friend at times but can turn on you at the blink of a hat.
I've used a rotary for about 30 years and still today when I "have to use it" I'm still careful , paints are so different today as it was many years ago.

In most cases I don't need to use my rotary because of the good DA's, pads, products, etc.
Wth that said if you know how to use a rotary and starting a detailing business you'll need one from time to time, more so after wet sanding.

I've used the Flex 3401, PC, GG6 and yesterday a Rupes.
Which one is better for a business ?
Well I'd like to own all of them:)

If I you asked me which one to buy though I'd say the Flex 3401 only because it has more correction abilities over the others.
I know I come across my share of trashed paints and as good as the Rupes is the Flex wins on really bad paints.

I've done some serious corrections only using my GG6 and did a great job, died on me yesterday:(
Lifetime warranty though.

I'm still thinking of my next rotary but the DeWalt looks like the one I'll buy.

Good luck with your new business:dblthumb2:

01-05-2014, 04:20 PM
thanks I wish I had enough to take mike phillips boot camp I think it would help me alot. what about carpet extractors, I don't have one now and that would probably be the second thing I want to get. any recommendations?

tpr1634
01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Welcome :buffing: