PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the 7424xp with 4" pads?

Pages : [1] 2

Just02896
01-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Just looking for some insight from those who use a 7424xp with 4" pads for spot correction, tight spots, and intricate work. I've pre-ordered a Rupes mini 75e with 4" pads but am wondering if its overkill for what I'm looking to do with it. My main go to tool is a Flex with 5" hybrid or 5.5" HT pads which in most cases can complete 100% of the job however it would be nice to have a smaller, more agile machine with smaller pads for mirrors, pillars, tight spots, ect.

Now I'm sure I'll love the Rupes mini, but for $300 and $10 a piece for Rupes pads? Can anyone tell me that this setup will be worth every penny or should I just grab a PC and stick with the cheaper 4" pads? I do plan to add a Rupes 15 to the mix come spring but now right now.

mg6045
01-04-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure how you value your money, but I have the mini rupes and its the right tool for the job. It does serious correction and has an excellent feel that is very balanced.

Using the PC with 4" pads feels completely cumbersome compared to the rupes. With the PC you cant see the pad in tight area's because the guard is in the way, its also very top heavy in small area's and it rather harsh on small pads at high speeds. The rupes mini solves all of these issues. its got a low center of gravity so you can apply some pressure without the pad skipping out of the way. It also does not feel that it want to tip over. Its small chassis gives great visibility of the pad, and the machine is easy on the pads at high speeds.

You can get away using the PC like we all have for years. It will correct paint and is for sure usable. But the rupes is better suited in every scenario. To me, its worth the extra coin.

firecorgi
01-04-2014, 12:33 PM
It all depends on your situation and usage. I can tell you from my experience with using the 7424 and 4 inch pads that I am seriously considering a mini-Rupes.
There is nothing wrong with the 7424 but mg makes some great observations with regards to the 7424.
My first "machine" was the PC and it's a great unit. I have since moved on to the Flex for bigger areas but keep my PC set-up for the small areas and applying LSP's. With time, research, learning, and usage, I will be making a the Rupes my birthday request.
You know your situation and finances best.
Good Luck either way!

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
01-04-2014, 12:39 PM
I have never used 4" inch pads but I do use 3 inch pads with the 3 inch backing plate and it's more than enough power for those pads. My PC is dedicated to 3 inch pads and interior brushes. I use GG6 for AIO/lsp application work and rupes & flex for corrections.

FUNX650
01-04-2014, 12:40 PM
I wonder if it's possible to not complete the purchasing process,
once a RUPES Mini 75e has been pre-ordered through AGO.

:)

Bob

KS_Detailing
01-04-2014, 12:48 PM
I have never used 4" inch pads but I do use 3 inch pads with the 3 inch backing plate and it's more than enough power for those pads. My PC is dedicated to 3 inch pads and interior brushes. I use GG6 for AIO/lsp application work and rupes & flex for corrections.

what speed do you use for 3"?

bsmith0404
01-04-2014, 12:51 PM
I have the exact set up as you are thinking about. I use my Flex 3401 with 5"- 6.5" pads and have my PC set up with 4". It works great for the few areas that I use it for such as mirrors and A pillars and bumpers. Personally, I'm very satisfied with the results and ease of correction for these small areas and have never considered spending the extra money on the Rupes and their expensive pads. The only complaint I have about the PC is the body is rounded and tends to tip to it's side when you set it down. When I set it down, I'm always concerned about the pad picking up some grit. I counter this by setting it on a MF towel. It's not a big deal, just something that is a little irritating compared to the Flex which, as you know, will stand very nicely on its' back when set down.

Just02896
01-04-2014, 01:00 PM
I wonder if it's possible to not complete the purchasing process,
once a RUPES Mini 75e has been pre-ordered through AGO.

Bob

It is. I've contacted Nick and he was gracious enough to allow me to change my order if I decide on a different machine. He also offered to apply the same 15% off to the new machine! Hats off to Nick and AG!

That being said, I've come to the decision of letting my mini pre-order ride after the insight provided by Nick, Mike, and some of the members on the forum.

Thanks a bunch guys for helping me make my decision!
Rupes it is! :-)

Harry Da Hamster
01-04-2014, 01:54 PM
I have a Harbor Freight DA polisher with 4" Hydrotech Pads. Same smell, different nostril.

FUNX650
01-04-2014, 02:10 PM
It is.
Thanks a bunch...Good to know!

Bob

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
01-04-2014, 03:05 PM
what speed do you use for 3"?

4-5.

Just02896
01-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Thanks a bunch...Good to know!

Bob

So what is it that you purchased and are now having second thoughts about having done so? Lol!

rstark
01-05-2014, 06:41 AM
PC 7336 used with 3.5" LC BP and LC 4" pads. GG6 now used for applying sealant and wax. Rupes LHR 15ES for correction and loving it!

Woob
01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Run a GG with 4inch attachment. Works great for the small areas. I feel you need a 3inch for the smaller areas and the even smaller Rupes TA 1inch buffer IF you are doing specialized concours work.

Just be aware of how much torque you get from a smaller surface area, things can get heated very easily. Adjust the setup for what you are buffing/need to do.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-12-2014, 12:43 PM
I have two Flex 3401's. One for 4" pads and the other for larger pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)