PDA

View Full Version : Removing tar spots from paintwork and alloy wheels

cheekyage
01-04-2014, 01:39 AM
Hi all,

I have seen a number of small black dots on the bottom panels of my car and no matter what I do with extra elbow grease they just don't seem to be going away.

Can anyone recommend a product that will ease my pain and help remove these stubborn tar type spots?

I also have a few on the inside of my alloys.

Any product and method advice would be much appreciated.

PiPUK
01-04-2014, 01:56 AM
Something like stoners tarminator, car pro tarx or dodo tarmalade. You can go the route of mineral spirits but that is less effective and a lot harder to remove the residual product.

CowboyTruckn
01-04-2014, 02:02 AM
Tar x!

Kacz
01-04-2014, 03:35 AM
Tar X is awesome, but I love another product for this because it's more cost effective.

Detailers Road Kill

cheekyage
01-04-2014, 03:43 AM
How would Detailer's Pro All Exterior Cleaner go?

Or should I go straight to Tar X?

PiPUK
01-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Detailers Road Kill

As a water based product it will be cheaper but these products cannot compare for tar removal ability. It may suffice for a spot or two but tarx will be miles superior for any amount of contamination and will need much less elbow grease.

Kacz
01-04-2014, 06:07 PM
As a water based product it will be cheaper but these products cannot compare for tar removal ability. It may suffice for a spot or two but tarx will be miles superior for any amount of contamination and will need much less elbow grease.

While no one can argue that and you can certainly smell the difference, but I do have both products right now.

Roadkill is a very underrated product IMO and was excited to try it out when they first introduced it. It works extremely well at fighting tar, but I never really tested them side by side. (Maybe I will come construction season in Illinois)

OP said he had "small black spots" and assuming it's tar, I would imagine Roadkill would suffice. Maybe if it's caked on from a drive right through freshly applied tar, Roadkill would be outdone by TarX, but he didn't say that.

For the record: I wasn't bashing TarX. It's a phenomenal product and works perfectly.

RMM
01-04-2014, 06:58 PM
The one I prefer is:

CarPro Tar X Tar & Adhesive Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-tar-x-600ml.html)

This one is also good:

Auto Finesse Oblitarate Tar & Glue Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/auto-finesse-oblitarate.html)

cheekyage
01-05-2014, 02:47 AM
Looks like Tar X is going in my shopping cart!

I have a whole bunch of small black dots on the bottom half of my car.

The car has always been garaged and has extremely low mileage but it's never been clayed or machine polished.

At first I thought it was a matter of using the clay bar or letting my finger nail pick them off.

So glad that is now not the case!

Thanks so much for your quick and friendly advice :)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-05-2014, 03:01 AM
Another vote for Tar-X

cheekyage
07-31-2015, 02:46 PM
If I use Tar-X would this strip any waxes or if the car has been opti-coated?

DogRescuer
08-01-2015, 05:36 AM
I must be the only one here that has gotten better results just using a apc and that yellow scrub honeycomb thingy ( no scratches or I wouldn't use it duh ) to remove spots like this.

JSFM35x
08-01-2015, 06:20 AM
I find tardis to be the very best product for tar.

Mr_Anderson
08-02-2015, 06:11 AM
I've used WD-40 with good results. I've also used some sort of silicone-based spray lube with good results.

The BEST results though, have been with a clay bar.

Also, I avoid road construction.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-02-2015, 07:02 AM
Tarminator or Tar-X