PDA

View Full Version : Rinseless or Waterless - Which is safer

Pages : [1] 2

Tresca
01-03-2014, 02:31 PM
For those who have tried both waterless and rinseless washes for similar levels of surface contamination, is one method less safe in regards to surface marring?

I've tried both a few times and have not noticed marring that can be related to the waterless or rinseless method using UWW+ for the waterless and Blackfire for the rinseless. The Blackfire rinseless did not seem to provide any more lubricity than just plain water, while the UWW+ definitely seemed to allow the microfiber to move more easily across the surface. However, it seems like the extra water with the rinseless should be safer.

Kyle_Elantra
01-03-2014, 02:42 PM
I always take mine to the coin-op car wash and spray it down really well before attempting either a waterless or rinseless wash.

I'm not saying this is always necessary, but so far I haven't had any marring with either.

I agree that the rinseless feels safer due to the added liquid, but I use a lot of waterless wash and saturate pretty well so I'm never short of lubricant.

GenesisCoupe
01-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Rinseless

topKek
01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
I always take mine to the coin-op car wash and spray it down really well before attempting either a waterless or rinseless wash.

I'm not saying this is always necessary, but so far I haven't had any marring with either.

I agree that the rinseless feels safer due to the added liquid, but I use a lot of waterless wash and saturate pretty well so I'm never short of lubricant.

I haven't been able to find any coin-ops within a decent distance of where I live (and driving 30 minutes to one I do know of would make the car dirty and need another spray down). But we do have lots of overpriced carwash places that do an automatic wash and then a rub down with dirty towels.

07gtcs
01-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Rinseless is way safer.

Slimsadie
01-03-2014, 03:21 PM
I am new to this but rinseless is my voto

Father87
01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
But we do have lots of overpriced carwash places that do an automatic wash and then a rub down with dirty towels.

Not sure why this was so funny to me. I guess cause I read it in a matter if fact tone lol...

Audios S6
01-03-2014, 03:50 PM
It's highly dependent on the amount of surface soiling. For very light dust, I don't think there is any difference in safety. As the amount of dust/dirt increases, I think that the safety leans more toward rinseless.

As dust/dirt increases further, the best bet would be to spray a panel with waterless wash, then do a rinseless wash. On the far end of non-traditional washing, you'd powerwash the car to remove most debris, then do a rinseless or waterless/rinseless combo.

Klasse Act
01-03-2014, 04:30 PM
If you don't feel comfortable with the usual 2 oz mixed w/ 2 gallons of water just add a little more, maybe 3-4 ounces and don't wring out your wash media as much and/or pre-treat the paint surface and you'll be good to go. If the car is REAL dirty or REAL salty, pre-treating is obvious or like others have mentioned go to the quarter carwash before hand. Rinseless wash is also waaaaaaaay cheaper too!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

cardaddy
01-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Friction = swirls.

Waterless is good for what it is, but it's very similar to a QD wipe down in that there really isn't anything there for lubricity.

Rinseless with it's added surfactants adds lubricity over and above anything that waterless could provide. Combine that with a massive increase in fluid being passed over the surface and there really isn't a comparison in the two.

Klasse Act
01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Friction = swirls.

Waterless is good for what it is, but it's very similar to a QD wipe down in that there really isn't anything there for lubricity.

Rinseless with it's added surfactants adds lubricity over and above anything that waterless could provide. Combine that with a massive increase in fluid being passed over the surface and there really isn't a comparison in the two.

Baaaam!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

tommygee
01-03-2014, 05:32 PM
All good points. I use a combo of all 3. Coin-op, rinseless with a waterless pre soak and sometimes a waterless. I'm trying to stay away from the coin-op because that $3 adds up. But after a foot of snow I'll hit the coin-op out of necessity. I like to presoak back quarter panels with waterless then do a rinseless in the garage. This time of year is strictly for protection.

Dogfather
01-03-2014, 07:21 PM
I combine as well. Some presoak with rinseless solution. I presoak with UWW+ in WW dilution then wash with UWW+ in rinseless dilution.

twobucket
01-03-2014, 07:52 PM
for those who use UWW+ as presoak, is it really better than ONR as presoak?

cardaddy
01-03-2014, 07:58 PM
All good points. I use a combo of all 3. Coin-op, rinseless with a waterless pre soak and sometimes a waterless. I'm trying to stay away from the coin-op because that $3 adds up. But after a foot of snow I'll hit the coin-op out of necessity. I like to presoak back quarter panels with waterless then do a rinseless in the garage. This time of year is strictly for protection.

I hear ya'.

This time of year I don't even like to think of cranking up my pressure washer. :rolleyes: I picked up a little 1700psi electric last summer so I wouldn't have to mess with the big one all the time, but when it's freezing sometimes it's just convenient to pop by the coin-op to get the worst of it off. Then it's the garage and a couple buckets of nice warm water. :)