PDA

View Full Version : best sectioning scheme using garry dean wash method

twobucket
01-02-2014, 12:09 AM
I saw in Garry dean's video that he uses one towel for entire front door and front window on one side. He is not leaving the lower panels last as some posts suggest.

lets say you have a dozen microfiber towels to wash a midsized sedan. How would you utilize the towels? How to section the entire car in to 12 sections, one section per towel? I think the goal here is to minimize chance of introducing the slightest potential marring.

jamesboyy
01-02-2014, 01:07 AM
If I only had 12 microfiber towels then I will fold the microfiber towels in fours giveing my self eight sides on one towel therefore I would section the car in six parts( roof,hood/front bumper,trunk/rear bumper,right and left side) leaving the lower portions the last to be clean..... just my few cents

twobucket
01-02-2014, 11:49 AM
If I only had 12 microfiber towels then I will fold the microfiber towels in fours giveing my self eight sides on one towel therefore I would section the car in six parts( roof,hood/front bumper,trunk/rear bumper,right and left side) leaving the lower portions the last to be clean..... just my few cents

to clarify I have a few dozen microfiber towels. But usually I bring a dozen for a car wash. just want to know how people divide their cars for their towels...

Bunky
01-02-2014, 11:57 AM
I use multiple mitt method but unnamed.

I will do the doors in three sections (upper, lower, rocker) and end up using 5 to 6 mitts (each has a side). I would not wipe from top of the window to the bottom of the door in one continuous pass.

I will adjust by how dirty it is. If it is dirty, I use more rather than some fixed number.

twobucket
01-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I use multiple mitt method but unnamed.

I will do the doors in three sections (upper, lower, rocker) and end up using 5 to 6 mitts (each has a side). I would not wipe from top of the window to the bottom of the door in one continuous pass.

I will adjust by how dirty it is. If it is dirty, I use more rather than some fixed number.

I'd rather use more towels than mar my paint. Garry Dean wipe from top of window to bottom of door which I thought is not very good.

master detailer
01-02-2014, 12:14 PM
lol Garry Dean is one of the best out there and has done better then most of us out there.

Lexi65
01-02-2014, 05:19 PM
I'd rather use more towels than mar my paint. Garry Dean wipe from top of window to bottom of door which I thought is not very good.

Suggest Garry Dean starts with a mostly clean vehicle in his youtubes. Just my 2 cents!

Harry Da Hamster
01-02-2014, 08:39 PM
12 microfiber towels to do a GDWM rinseless wash is a bit much. I usually find that i don't need much more than 7-8 max. I average one towel per two panels.

Consider a garden pump sprayer with Rinseless wash at QD strength.

peter hurcos
01-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Don't ration towels. This is one reason why its silly to spend the long bucks on premium microfiber towels. Get the bag of el cheapos at Sam's Club.

Will the Sam's club cheapo towel ruin your paint? If your car can't stand up to a cheap mf there is no hope for it in the real world anyway.

Disconnected
01-02-2014, 11:54 PM
I divide my BMW into 9 sections, one towel for each section. One gallon of distilled water and 1.5 oz of ONR. I soak 9 towels in a 5 gallon bucket, they absorb all of the solution. I dilute 2 oz. of ONR in a 32oz. AGO pump spray bottle. I spray/pre-soak one panel at a time. I wipe the panel with a 600GSM microfiber. When I wipe, I wipe left, then right, lifting the edge of the towel as I wipe. Then I flip the towel. I use all 8 sides of the folded towel. The 9 sections, in order are: Roof, Rear glass and trunk, Windshield and hood, Driver's windows and door to the bumper strip, Driver's below the bumper strip to the bottom, vertical trunk panel, passenger's windows and door to the bumper strip, passenger's below the bumper strip to the bottom, the front grille and bumper.

twobucket
01-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Don't ration towels. This is one reason why its silly to spend the long bucks on premium microfiber towels. Get the bag of el cheapos at Sam's Club.

Will the Sam's club cheapo towel ruin your paint? If your car can't stand up to a cheap mf there is no hope for it in the real world anyway.

I have a few dozen DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel
DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel Blue - 16" x 16" | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Microfiber-M13/All-Purpose-Towel-P103/16-x-16-S1/)

are they considered premium towels? They are made in china.

Harry Da Hamster
01-03-2014, 03:30 AM

100% true. Except i use Costco towels. As long as you have sufficient lubrication, Costco and Sams towels are fine. Too many Costco towels would be better than not enough expensive towels.