PDA

View Full Version : Oh No my Sauveran Paste!

Pages : [1] 2

wolfpacker92
06-30-2007, 09:31 PM
OK first off I know I am a complete bloomin' baffoon. I accidentally left my Sauveran in my garage in the NC heat and the next time I went to use it (I take it out in one block and spread it on the pad of my PC) it crumbled into about 4-5 pieces. Well I put the pieces in a stainless steel container and placed that in boiling water to try and melt the wax down again. It got very very soft and I put it back in its container and placed it in the freezer. Well it never got back to a hard solid. Still is kind of mushy. I tried to get some out and spread it on a pad and use it but that was a disaster. The pad flung wax everywhere, it almost looked like it was mixed with water.

Well here is my question for all the advisors out there - Is my beloved Sauveran ruined and if not is there anyway to get it solid again? I have this sneaking suspicion or should I say sickening feeling that it will never be the same again and that sucks because I still had over half the container left!

Thejoyofdriving
06-30-2007, 11:49 PM
ouch, well i think you went wrong when you put it in the freezer, i think i t might be better to let it harden on its own.

ltoman
07-01-2007, 04:57 AM
yikes! very sorry to hear this, and I do not know what to do!!! good luck - let us know if you can save her!!

TOGWT
07-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Sometimes, although rarely wax will come back from really cold temperature (but not freezing) the only thing that it will not recover from is 'temperature swing' from extremes of hot to cold..sorry man

ScottB
07-01-2007, 08:24 AM
could he remelt it and allow to cool naturally ???

wolfpacker92
07-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the replies guys but I think my Sauveran is shot. I assure you I won't make this mistake again.

D
07-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Im taking all my waxes out of the garage!

Nica
07-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Oh man sorry to hear that, I keep all my goodies in side the my house in what I call my "detailing room" in the basement, the temperature is just right for it :D...well you know what they say what dosen't kill you only maikes you stronger.

Thanks for sharing though.

TOGWT
07-02-2007, 03:17 AM
could he remelt it and allow to cool naturally ???

I don't think you could recover it as the ingredients have separated and they would require specific temps to re-blend, even then I'm not so sure it would be stable /usable.

If you reheat it you will 'flash' the solvent and render the carrier system spread ability inoperative

Nica
07-02-2007, 03:56 AM
TOGWT, I've found all your postings very informative and very precise. If you don't mind me asking what is it that you do? You seem to have an abundance of knowledge on chemicals and I'm just curious that's all....hope you don't mind me asking.

dengood1
07-02-2007, 05:21 AM
I don't think you could recover it as the ingredients have separated and they would require specific temps to re-blend, even then I'm not so sure it would be stable /usable.

If you reheat it you will 'flash' the solvent and render the carrier system spread ability inoperative

I too learn a lot from your posts, but I think you are incorrect on this one. I ran into a problem with my Souveran crumbling as well so I emptied the contents into the smallest pot I had at home (probably 1 quart) and melted the Souveran (which melts fairly quickly) just until it was a clear liquid, not boiling, and let it cool for about 30 seconds, then poured it back into the tub that the Souveran came in. I let it cool at room temperature with the lid off overnight. It worked perfectly and has the consistency of the day I bought it----and it still goes on and off like butter;)

Might have to do a test later with a tiny chunk of Souveran and an equal amount of Collinite:D Looks AND durability:righton:

TOGWT
07-02-2007, 08:51 AM
I don't mind at all that you ask, at least you'll know the background of the person who is providing you with information. After all a paint film surface is a delicate thin coating; easily dulled and very easily scratched and / or damaged. So you should choose carefully the advice you listen to and more importantly what advice you act upon.

I am a chemical Engineer (ChemE) in the oil and gas exploration field, as well as polymer technologies. I am the author of a number of automotive detailing book, and also write detailing articles for car club magazines and application instructions for car care products along with contributing to various on-line detailing forums (and a spare time detailer of Concours d’élégance entrant vehicles)
:cheers:

TOGWT
07-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Quote: I too learn a lot from your posts, but I think you are incorrect on this one. I ran into a problem with my Souveran crumbling as well so I emptied the contents into the smallest pot I had at home (probably 1 quart) and melted the Souveran (which melts fairly quickly) just until it was a clear liquid, not boiling, and let it cool for about 30 seconds, then poured it back into the tub that the Souveran came in. I let it cool at room temperature with the lid off overnight. It worked perfectly and has the consistency of the day I bought it----and it still goes on and off like butter;)

Might have to do a test later with a tiny chunk of Souveran and an equal amount of Collinite:D Looks AND durability:righton:

I for one am glad that you could salvage such an awesome product.

Like everyone I’m not infallible, but I can / will only cite what is in the realm of my experience / knowledge. But sometimes practical application makes a mockery of mere theory even though most vendors will tell you the same thing (I not going to say that durability etc may be compromised, because if your like me you’ll be adding more before its even an issue)

Nica
07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't mind at all that you ask, at least you'll know the background of the person who is providing you with information. After all a paint film surface is a delicate thin coating; easily dulled and very easily scratched and / or damaged. So you should choose carefully the advice you listen to and more importantly what advice you act upon.

I am a chemical Engineer (ChemE) in the oil and gas exploration field, as well as polymer technologies. I am the author of a number of automotive detailing book, and also write detailing articles for car club magazines and application instructions for car care products along with contributing to various on-line detailing forums (and a spare time detailer of Concours d’élégance entrant vehicles)
:cheers:

I thought you were a Chemical Engineer, well you seem to know your products and I enjoy reading your feed back. Thanks for sharing. That's the beauty of forums, you get large amount of knowledge from all over the world...it's like putting millions of heads together...beter then just one right :D

dengood1
07-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Quote: I too learn a lot from your posts, but I think you are incorrect on this one. I ran into a problem with my Souveran crumbling as well so I emptied the contents into the smallest pot I had at home (probably 1 quart) and melted the Souveran (which melts fairly quickly) just until it was a clear liquid, not boiling, and let it cool for about 30 seconds, then poured it back into the tub that the Souveran came in. I let it cool at room temperature with the lid off overnight. It worked perfectly and has the consistency of the day I bought it----and it still goes on and off like butter;)

I for one am glad that you could salvage such an awesome product.

Like everyone I’m not infallible, but I can / will only cite what is in the realm of my experience / knowledge. But sometimes practical application makes a mockery of mere theory even though most vendors will tell you the same thing (I not going to say that durability etc may be compromised, because if your like me you’ll be adding more before its even an issue)

TOWGT, you are a professional in this field and you definitely know your stuff:cheers: I just wanted to let the poster know that he might be able to save his product and wanted to share that I too had the same experience and it worked for me(don't ask me why), but it did.

I definitely do NOT know what the drawbacks of remelting the wax are(in a chemical sense) as TOGWT does, so definitely listen to what he says, he's MUCH more knowledgeable in this area than I am;) I thought it would be like melting candle wax.....it forms WAX again:p hehe....

Great, now the wax on my car will probably burst into flames as I'm driving down the road once the wax hits 100 degrees or something:rolleyes:......lovely

:D :D