PDA

View Full Version : Grit guard filter

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Dogfather
01-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Two in your rinse bucket works best. Someone did a test (vid) with a clear 5 gallon bucket using one GG vrs. two GG and the two GG would not allow the grit to rise while swirling the wash mitt in the bucket.

That's what I've been doing. Thanks for confirmation.
:xyxthumbs:

cardaddy
01-01-2014, 09:14 PM
And look what happened to the patent on the Grit Guard. Change a fin or two and everyone is making one. Using 2 guards in a 5 gallon bucket seems to give the best results.

With 2, the "filter" between them would work AWESOME!

If you're that concerned to use two grit guards and something to filter why not just use a few wash mitts? That way you'd never introduce dirt into the wash bucket.

I use a minimum of 2 during the 'clean water' phase. I also NEVER let one go to the bottom of the rinse bucket either. I'll rinse it really well, (even with a hose sometimes) agitating it inside the rinse bucket (that has a capful of ONR or a ½ ounce of shampoo in it) and after squeezing it out I'll drop it in the soap bucket.

We tend to keep another set of mitts for the lower third of all the panels and after we're finished with the top, down to the lower panels we'll finish the rest with the 'dirty mitts'. Of course all the rockers, front and rear lower valance, exhaust and such are done with brushes, Woolies, sponges or microfibers.

Do you have one in the wash solution bucket as well? At the moment I only have 2 guards. What's better, two in the rinse bucket or one in each?

I'd say 1 in each. Better yet, 1 in your rinse bucket and 2 in your wash bucket. Or vice versa. :dunno: ;) I'd bet putting the matt in either will be a HUGE improvement. If I were to work with the matt I'd put 2 grit guards in the rinse bucket. Then put the matt in the bottom of the wash bucket with a grit guard on top of it.

Reason being, the wash water would be a LOT cleaner so 2 grit guards in the wash bucket are probably not needed.

FWIW; Once I've finished a wash job on an average (dirty) vehicle I'll pour out the wheel bucket and rinse it good. Then I'll take the soap from the wash bucket and rotate it to the wheel bucket. THE WHEEL BUCKET NEVER GETS USED FOR WASHING AND NEVER HAS ANY TOOLS THAT TOUCH IT THAT GET NEAR PAINT, EVER - NEVER - EVER.

If the soap was for my G35 (which doesn't get dirty) then I'll just save the wash water and use it a second time either on another vehicle, or sometimes on the G35. (With my OCD rinsing of my wash mitts plus using the rinse bucket, my wash soap doesn't hardly get dirty at all.)

Am I the only one that uses the grit guard itself to clean the wash media by agitating it to release dirt before grabbing more soap.i don't simply just dip it in the rinse bucket I agitate it against the grit guard.

Personally; I really will not, and don't want to agitate the mitt against the grit guard.:nomore:
Getting it that close to all the gunk in the bottom and then stirring it up is just going to end up suspending it in the solution, which the mitt will pick up, thus negating any benefit you'll get from having it there in the first place. ;)

OP:
This could be a darned good idea when you think of it. :props:
The point of the grit guard is to try and "trap" particles that the wash media can pick up from your vehicle and transfer to your cleaning solution. Sure, large items and rocks will drop to the bottom along with heavier sand, but lighter sand and silica particles, bug fragments, wings and such can easily be disturbed by sloshing around the solution. Doing so will end up with them getting deposited back into your washing media.

I can say first hand that the type of media that the blue matt is, are used for "polishing water" in your fish tanks. I have a very similar media in both my Fluval filters (it's just white). It doesn't take much imagination to see where the small particles that would sit on the bottom (yet be easily disturbed) could sink into the matt and be much less likely to end up suspended in the washing solution. REALLY GREAT IDEA! :dblthumb2:

Along those lines, perhaps any similar pads would work, even one that's meant for floor buffing. (Not the sanding cut.) With the trick being that it is open enough to allow particles to settle down in the media without being easily disturbed and suspended back into the washing solution. :dunno:

bsmith0404
01-02-2014, 06:28 AM
I'm assuming you mean patent? Good luck with that. After spending $10,000++ in attorneys fees, filing fees, assessment fees, graphic design (for illustrations); the application would probably be rejected since it's really only a polyester fiber pad that's already commonly used.

Yes Patent is what I meant, that's what I get for being in a hurry and typing a response while trying to watch a football game. The main point I was trying to make is that the OP has a good/great idea of just one more method/security step to keep dirt from entering back into the washing cycle and added scratches to our paint. We all go to extremes (compared to the normal person, we are not normal) in one way or another to keep our cars or customers cars looking great. The OP had an idea that would just be one addition piece of insurance to help ensure that. Even if it works to only trap a few extra particles that would have made their way back into the washing process. I was amazed at how many people were basically responding that this idea is a waste of time and unnecessary. Yet as I look through all of the products on AGO and other detailing supply stores, many of the products could fall into that same category. Would I ever buy these filters??? Probably not, I'd probably just make my own just as the OP did, but I'm sure there would be plenty of people who would, especially if marketed correctly. He should get his piece of the pie just for taking the time to think of it and actually putting it to use.

KBsToy
01-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Chemical Guys IAI_515 - Dirt Guard Insert (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_IAI_515_Dirt_Guard_Insert_p/iai_515.htm)