PDA

View Full Version : Are pure waxes........

shagnat
12-30-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm curious about pure waxes (meaning no correction ingredients etc.) are generally a short-term durability product. I'm talking about some of the upper priced waxes without any paint correction additives, no sealants, no "added" protection etc. Just wax for a great shine (hopefully).

I'm under the impression these waxes only last a week +/-.

I don't care about what's under the wax as long as the paint is in acceptable shape for receiving a polish.

FUNX650
12-30-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm curious about pure waxes (meaning no correction ingredients etc.) are generally a short-term durability product.

I don't care about what's under the wax as long as the paint is in acceptable shape for receiving a polish.
What do you consider as "acceptable shape", for paint to be in, for it to receive polishing? :D

You may be mixing up some products' definitions that I've grown to love, and call them by...:dunno:

Bob

spiralout462
12-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I think you are referring to finishing waxes? If you are asking about durability it can vary wildly depending on many, many factors.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/39020-word-definitions-compounds-polishes-glazes-paint-cleaners-waxes.html?highlight=word+definitions

AeroCleanse
12-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Real wax will last 3-5 months depending on how you take care of it. Well Dodo Juice SuperNatural does anyway

HateSwirls
12-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Waxes, $20.00 or $75.00 all give you about 3 months of protection.
Some look better than others.
I'm not hooked on sealants.

shagnat
12-30-2013, 07:21 PM
hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm........... ok, don't know where I got the notion of "waxes" being a short-term durability product, which is why I asked.

@HateSwirls, by "acceptable" I speak this in general terms. IOW, not needing any corrections for swirls and related defects, clean, clayed, polished, etc. Doesn't matter about a sealant being the LSP prior to applying a "wax", but nothing super-duper special, just "acceptable" for a DD, not talking show car stuff here. Hope this helps to clarify.

FUNX650
12-30-2013, 07:26 PM
hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm........... ok, don't know where I got the notion of "waxes" being a short-term durability product, which is why I asked.

My Good Man...

IMHO:
You are absolutely correct in your assumptive-notions that Pure Waxes are...
as compared to many Sealants and 'Coatings'...are short lived:
Especially on DD's!!

Note: Thanks for the "acceptable" clarification.

:)

Bob

cardaddy
12-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Boy I never stop learning here. I'd have bet that NO WAX would give any real benefits outside of a few weeks. Not when it's on a DD, and especially not if it's on a DD that isn't garaged every night and all weekend. :dunno:

And yes, I have some DoDo here, (not Supernatural) but I'll go for a sealant, ANY sealant over a wax. Especially a pure/boutique wax.

Of course, ymmv ;)

PiPUK
12-31-2013, 07:04 AM
There are massive variations between waxes. It is really quite rare to have only wax and solvent. A chemist would probably not even waste their time trying, such is the difficulty and performance compromise. I would treat with a pinch of salt a claim that a professionally manufactured wax has nothing but wax in the formulation.

For reference, there are synthetic waxes which also have sealant character - true hybrids, rather than the normal use in this sector, organic wax + separate sealant type additive. These waxes can last a long time thanks to much more of a bond to the surface.

jankerson
12-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Boy I never stop learning here. I'd have bet that NO WAX would give any real benefits outside of a few weeks. Not when it's on a DD, and especially not if it's on a DD that isn't garaged every night and all weekend. :dunno:

And yes, I have some DoDo here, (not Supernatural) but I'll go for a sealant, ANY sealant over a wax. Especially a pure/boutique wax.

Of course, ymmv ;)

I am of the same thought process....

If it's a DD garaged or not then it had better be a Sealant or a Hybrid wax......

Unless one is going to wax it every week....

cardaddy
12-31-2013, 04:43 PM
I am of the same thought process....

If it's a DD garaged or not then it had better be a Sealant or a Hybrid wax......

Unless one is going to wax it every week....

And therein the truth lies! :props: