PDA

View Full Version : $ for $ best buffer

Pages : [1] 2

Deep18
12-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Dollar for Dollar what's your pick? Rupes, Porter Cable, Flex, something cool I've never heard about. All around use (compounding, polishing, waxing/sealing).

Feed back please

Evan.J
12-30-2013, 04:05 PM
I will say either the Flex or the Rupes.

No I will not get into a discussion on which on is better:nomore:

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-30-2013, 04:36 PM
It's largely subjective and depends on your needs. If you are going to use it to correct paint once a month or less I think GG6 is your answer. If you correct paint once or more a week I think rupes or flex is your best bet.

The real advantage to the more expensive and powerful machines is that they save time. If you aren't doing this for money, saving less than an hour on a car isn't that big of a deal, if you are buffing out a car or two a day then saving the time is worth the extra investment.

Just02896
12-30-2013, 05:10 PM
I love my flex but have a rupes 75e mini with 4" coming for rids correction and intricate work. They are both awesome machines! I just wish rupes would make a forced rotation machine! Take your pick though as neither could be a wrong choice!

RLucky82
12-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Dollar for dollar? GG6 for sure. Slightly better then the porter cable. And even if your detailing every day you will still be using it!

ScottB
12-30-2013, 06:01 PM
I love my Flex 3401 ... .but haven't tried all the Rupes offerings.

Audios S6
12-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Since I only do detailing on the side I'll only speak for the beginners and casual users. The griots is definitely my pick. It has more power that competitor's machines and the lifetime warranty - just can't beat it for the money.

AeroCleanse
12-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Makita rotary with a dynabrade head. Get the best of rotary and long throw DA

Rsurfer
12-30-2013, 07:02 PM

How heavy is that set up?

ken tuep
12-30-2013, 07:08 PM

Bout 84 pounds! Haha
Probably close to 9lbs I'd guess. I had tried one at a bodyshop once, the dynabrade attachment feels wrong.

I also think the best tool depends on your needs. How often you use it, and how much you want to spend. For keeping up your own vehicles, the GG6 is obviously the cheapest choice. But if you like the finer things in life, definitely a flex or rupes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

cardaddy
12-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Dollar for dollar, I'd say the GG6 has to be a great candidate for that prize.

I mean to say, for the price it succeeds at doing whatever job you have at hand, and has a lifetime warranty. That is pretty hard to beat!

Is it as smooth as the Rupes? Does it have forced rotation like the Flex? Can it correct as fast as either of them? Likely not.

Can you buy THREE of them and dedicate one to 4" (and 3"), another to 5½" and yet another to 6½" duty for LESS than a Flex or Rupes kit with backing plates to do all three? You BETCHA! (Actually the Rupes and Flex can not do all three.)

Will the Flex and Rupes correct faster?
Oh yeah. ;)

All the same logic applies to the choice of a random orbit buffer that applies to watches and cars. You can tell time with a $15 Timex, or a $15,000 Rolex... they both end in "ex". Just as you can drive to work in a Prius or a Tesla, both have batteries as their primary drive. Neither one will save you any 'time' getting to work, but the second choice makes sure you spend more TIME AT WORK. (To pay for it.) Whereas the secondary choice(s) of a buffer can indeed save you time. :dunno:

It's all a choice of more than functionality, it's a choice of "style". :D

Harry Da Hamster
12-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Actually dollar for dollar, you absolutely cannot beat the Harbor Freight. Much more powerful than a Porter Cable 7424XP, slightly less powerful than a Griot Garage 6", and a third the price.

HateSwirls
12-30-2013, 09:24 PM
For the money ?
Can't beat the GG6.
Works as good as a Flex for a much better price.
Plus they give you a lifetime warranty on the GG6.
Try getting that with other companies.

Rupes can and will bog down at times but not the GG6, go figure. :)

AeroCleanse
12-30-2013, 09:26 PM

Don't know but it sure works great.

CCC4me
12-30-2013, 09:31 PM

:iagree:

It's like a Flex, a Rupes, and a rotary all in one!