PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection film

rquino2000
12-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Hello;

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. I have a 1998 BMW Roadster which I will be using a Rupes polish to remove swirls and water spots from the paint finish. My car has this paint protection film on the front part of the hood and bumper as well. Do I polish it or do I tape it off and work around it?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I personally think I should have it removed.

Thanks,

Radarryan
12-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Depending on the type of film determines if you can polish it. Any high quality clear bra can be polished. I have 3M and XPel on some of my cars and have polished them to fantastic results. If in doubt, do a test spot in an inconspicuous area and see how it turns out. if you have negative results then at least you know and it's in an area that you can't really see.

Happy detailing!

Brace1
12-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Tape it off either way. I was told I could polish mine (Xpel), but one thing is you want to tape the edges so you don't get residue caked up there nor accidentally lift the edge.

FUNX650
12-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Hello;
I'm new to the forum,
but have been lurking for a while.

:welcome:...to AGO!!

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
I personally think I should have it removed.

There must be a reason for you personally thinking of removing the PPF.
I, then, for one, will not advise otherwise.

But, of course, I personally would put PPF (XPel Ultimate)
back in place to those areas that were previously PPF-ed...
upon the completion of the entire vehicle's paint correction!

:)

Bob

rquino2000
12-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. Not sure if their is a useful life on paint protection film, but that is where my idea of removing it came from(its 15 years old). I will start working from the back forward on the car, that way I can still think about it.

Evan.J
12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
:welcome:...to AGO!!

There must be a reason for you personally thinking of removing the PPF.
I, then, for one, will not advise otherwise.

But, of course, I personally would put PPF (XPel Ultimate)
back in place to those areas that were previously PPF-ed...
upon the completion of the entire vehicle's paint correction!

:)

Bob
:iagree: With Bob on this

Xpel Ultimate is at the top of the market when it come to PPF. With a top coat that is an automotive clear coat you can't go wrong.

The removal of the PPF will probably be the worse part of the entire process. From there doing a full paint correction then having and brand new PPF applied will certainly change things for you.

rquino2000
12-30-2013, 10:12 PM
:iagree: With Bob on this

Xpel Ultimate is at the top of the market when it come to PPF. With a top coat that is an automotive clear coat you can't go wrong.

The removal of the PPF will probably be the worse part of the entire process. From there doing a full paint correction then having and brand new PPF applied will certainly change things for you.

Seems to be the way to go. From what I've been able to research online it should require a heat gun and some pulling. If any glue is left over I can use Meguiars body solvent to remove. (At least that is my plan)

Evan.J
12-31-2013, 06:16 AM
Seems to be the way to go. From what I've been able to research online it should require a heat gun and some pulling. If any glue is left over I can use Meguiars body solvent to remove. (At least that is my plan)

Yep that's about right. I'm not sure how the film will react if it will rip or not due to how old it is. Just take your time when removing it. The more you take your time the less adhesive there should be on the paint itself.