PDA

View Full Version : Newer Car, need help selecting the best Polish

jerseyjoe
12-29-2013, 04:29 PM
I have a 2014 Mustang GT, purchased new 6 months ago. The first week I bought it I clay barred and put on a coat of Wolfgang Paint Sealer which has held up nicely.

I just got a Porter 7424 and will be claying, polishing, sealing again. I'm new to polishing and I need help with my selection.
I do NOT want to use anything to strong or abrasive which will arbitrarily break down my clear coat. I have a light scratch or two on the hood (very minor) and I also have some very light swirls likely from washing drying... They are faint and cannot be seen unless you are unclose with a light or in direct over-head sunlight.

I also notice that my clear coat seems too be very soft, it tends to scratch very easily (with a fingernail) and I have to be very careful washing/drying.

With my paint being still very new and the car just having minor swirling - What would you recommend??? A Cleaner wax or a Polish....

I have been considering Menzerna FF3000, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, and a few others.... let me know your recommendations for very faint swirls and just a few minor scratches, I am new to DA polishing and appreciate any feedback!
THanks!

HateSwirls
12-29-2013, 04:43 PM
The least aggressive start would be UP using a white pad.
If that's not getting the job done switch to an orange pad, hopefully that does it.
If it's still not enough then move up to m205, same, start out with a white pad.
I seem to get great results using the 205 and white pad.

Keep us posted.

KJW Detailing
12-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Welcome JerseyJoe. Are you located in NJ, if so where?

I don't have personal experience with either product, but I do have experience with other polishes within both companies. Others with experience will be able to give you their personal experiences and opinions with those specific products, but I would assume that FF3000 and/or SF4000 would be great choices to remove few fine swirls/scratches and really amp up the gloss level. Like HateSwirls stated, you want to start with the least aggressive combination and work from that point. This will allow you to dial in your process moving forward.

Good Luck and Welcome to AG! The search function will become your best friend!

RevHeat
12-29-2013, 05:22 PM
I love menzerna sf-4000 for new cars

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AG Online

Tato
12-29-2013, 06:26 PM
What kind of pads do you have?

You cannot use a non-abrasive method to remove swirls (only hide temporally), sorry. Being them minimal, the least abrasive method will remove minimal amount required to level the paint.

If your car is new and 'soft' as you describe, I would start with UP and a black (finishing) pad. That will be very gentle abrasively talking.

If you don't get what you are willing (do a test spot before buffing the entire car and disliking the final result), step up to a white (polishing) pad with the same UP.

This method will be more abrasive than the prior, but not that much if you control other variables, like DA Speed, Arm Speed and Pressure. Proper technique is as important as the machine, product and pad selection - Watch as much as Mike Phillips Video Tutorials you can and start from what you see there.

M205 can be used the same way described above for UP.

If M205 / UP don't get you there, you'll need to step up product, I would go with UC (Ultimate Compound) on white polishing pad. But I believe it would not be needed based on your description.

You can also try an 1 step polish like XMT360 or the (ultra hyped) Blackfire Total Polish and Seal.
BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-total-polish-seal.html)

I've never used BF Polish and Seal (but believe me, people like it A LOT), but if you have the chance that would help you creating 'WHIPLASH' in a single easy step.

Looks like the perfect description for what you're looking for -

From product announce: ' [... BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal is a light swirl remover, pre-wax cleanser and paint sealant all in one! A lot of one-step cleaner waxes clean the paint, but few have the ability to remove mild swirls. BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal can! Mild polishing agents remove fine swirls ...] '

Hope I've helped,

Kind Regards.

jankerson
12-29-2013, 07:06 PM
The least aggressive start would be UP using a white pad.
If that's not getting the job done switch to an orange pad, hopefully that does it.
If it's still not enough then move up to m205, same, start out with a white pad.
I seem to get great results using the 205 and white pad.

Keep us posted.

:iagree:

UP or M205 would be the picks. :xyxthumbs:

If the paint is really soft go with WG Finishing Glaze and the White or Black Pad.

jerseyjoe
12-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all of your feedback... I think I am going to get an 8 oz bottle of Wolfgang Finishing Glaze ( which appears very similar to Menzerna 4000 ). I am going to start with CCS gray pad and the WG Glaze and see if that gives desired results, if not I will step up to a white pad and try....

Otherwise I will repeat above using Meguiars Ultimate Polish.

Anyone achieve good results getting out minor swirls on newer paint using WG Finishing Glaze and gray pad?
thanks

KBsToy
01-01-2014, 05:58 AM
I love menzerna sf-4000 for new cars

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AG Online

:xyxthumbs:

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Thanks for all of your feedback... I think I am going to get an 8 oz bottle of Wolfgang Finishing Glaze ( which appears very similar to Menzerna 4000 ). I am going to start with CCS gray pad and the WG Glaze and see if that gives desired results, if not I will step up to a white pad and try....

Otherwise I will repeat above using Meguiars Ultimate Polish.

Anyone achieve good results getting out minor swirls on newer paint using WG Finishing Glaze and gray pad?
thanks

Sounds great. Let us know how it goes.

I have achieved great results with WG FG on a white pad as a one step correction. If the gray pad and FG doesn't give you the results you are after, change up to the white pad for a bit more cut.

rstark
01-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Might be late, but if the paint is as soft as my '13 Toyota RAV4, a white LC flat 5.5" pad with Menzerna SF4500 does a fantastic job removing swirls and shallow RIDS (using PC, GG6 or Rupes LHR 15 ES). It also makes the metal flake in the paint pop really well. You will be pleased!

The Critic
01-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Try some CarPro Reflect and a polishing or finishing pad.

Since the paint sounds like it's soft and susceptible to marring, you may want to consider Cquartz UK or Opti-Coat to help maintain the appearance.