PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 15 pads

Pages : [1] 2 3

Denali2011
12-29-2013, 11:31 AM
I was lucky enough to get a rupes 15 from santa! my question is what pads do you guys recommend for me to get? foam or microfiber? and what brands?

Evan.J
12-29-2013, 03:30 PM
I was lucky enough to get a rupes 15 from santa! my question is what pads do you guys recommend for me to get? foam or microfiber? and what brands?

Get both kinds of pads and for the microfiber pads I would go with the Meguiar's pads and the foam I would go with the Rupes pads or Buff and Shine. I have nothing but great with success with all of those.

hamlyn
12-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Rupes has their own branded microfiber pads as well. May be worth looking into. The Rupes foam pads are excellent. Seeing as how good their foam pads are, there's no reason not to expect their microfiber pad to be just as good.

arisking
12-29-2013, 05:11 PM
I was talking to a well known detailer here in Canada and they say all they use most of the time is Buff N Shine pads with their polishers and that Rupes is usually the go to machine.

They especially praise the microfiber pads B&S makes. That's why I ordered some and I can't wait to check them out! Especially on the 3401.

But everyone here has also praised the Rupes system as a whole with Rupes pads and polishes. Makes sense to do that even with the cost.

I myself have too much money tied up into Menzerna products and LC pads so I can't test out the system on my 15 yet. But I can test them out soon when my 75E comes in tomorrow! Oh yes! :P

dpk20x
12-30-2013, 03:42 AM
So do you guys prefer the 5" or 6" Rupes pads on the LHR15?

dpk20x
12-30-2013, 03:44 AM
So do you guys prefer the 5 or 6" Rupes pads on the LHR 15?

arisking
12-30-2013, 04:25 AM
I use 5.5" pads on the Rupes 15 and on my Flex 3401. Easy to control and gets the job done!

But if you go the Rupes "system" approach, their pads/polishes together, you'll get 6" pads. Remember this is a great system and worth the money.

In the end if you go Lake Country CCS, Hydro Tech, Flat, Buff & Shine, Rupes, etc. You'll be happy!

dpk20x
12-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Yeah from all the positive feedback I've been hearing about the Rupes pads I wanted to give them a shot.

Autogeek unfortunately doesn't currently sell their 5" pads but I have seen them for sale on another site. I think I would like the 5" pads better but I was just curious as to what everyone else was using.

Tresca
12-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Yeah from all the positive feedback I've been hearing about the Rupes pads I wanted to give them a shot.

Autogeek unfortunately doesn't currently sell their 5" pads but I have seen them for sale on another site. I think I would like the 5" pads better but I was just curious as to what everyone else was using.

Some places list the size as the face diameter and some as the diameter at the mounting surface. AG has the three pads sizes required for the Rupes polishers being sold here.

dpk20x
12-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Some places list the size as the face diameter and some as the diameter at the mounting surface. AG has the three pads sizes required for the Rupes polishers being sold here.

Oh got ya. Yeah that other site I was looking at had their pads listed as 3,5, and 6."

Autogeek has them listed as 4,6, and 7."

My bad :doh:

parttimer
12-30-2013, 07:43 AM
I just dropped down to the 5" backing plate on my 21 I used 5.5" hydro tech pads with great results. I am waiting on yellow and green 6" faced pads as they were on back order during black Friday. They should be here this Friday. I "think" the B&S pads have thicker foam and would not be a good selection for the Rupes, they say thin is in for DA style non forced rotation units. So the Megs or Optimum might be a better choice.

arisking
12-30-2013, 07:57 AM
I guarantee you the Rupes 15 or 21 would have no problem spinning around a thicker pad, like the B&S MF when it has the washer mod done. My 15 is out of control with that mod and love it! Hahaha.

Also, only reason I recommended the B&S MF pad was because of the reputation that the detailer I talked to carries. If he says Rupes and B&S and also tells me they're the most durable MF pads then I'll believe him. That any the many reviews I've read on them.

Also, he does sell all the other brand MF pads and found B&S to be the best.

Also, if the original poster wants he could try out Surbuf pads! That is a neat idea, also a really thin option too!

hamlyn
12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
I just dropped down to the 5" backing plate on my 21 I used 5.5" hydro tech pads with great results. I am waiting on yellow and green 6" faced pads as they were on back order during black Friday. They should be here this Friday. I "think" the B&S pads have thicker foam and would not be a good selection for the Rupes, they say thin is in for DA style non forced rotation units. So the Megs or Optimum might be a better choice.

I, too, dropped to the 5" backing plate on my Rupes 21 and use both the Hydro Tech 5.5" pads as well as the Rupes 6" pads.
I am not a professional detailer, I simply work on my two cars occasionally. I am a newbie at that, too, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.

parttimer
12-30-2013, 10:20 AM
I guarantee you the Rupes 15 or 21 would have no problem spinning around a thicker pad, like the B&S MF when it has the washer mod done. My 15 is out of control with that mod and love it! Hahaha.

Also, only reason I recommended the B&S MF pad was because of the reputation that the detailer I talked to carries. If he says Rupes and B&S and also tells me they're the most durable MF pads then I'll believe him. That any the many reviews I've read on them.

Also, he does sell all the other brand MF pads and found B&S to be the best.

Also, if the original poster wants he could try out Surbuf pads! That is a neat idea, also a really thin option too!

I was just going off what Mike and others have said. I have the BnS pads and have yet to test them out on the Rupes, I have used the megs and Optimum. I prefer the megs. I too have the rupes washer mod. I find my pad stops all the time on 4-5 with the 6" plate and 6.5" pads on bends and curves.

arisking
12-30-2013, 10:53 AM
That's why I only use 5.5" pads, small enough to not stop rotating, but big enough to do the job quickly still.

But I know why you're suggesting what you do, it's all good. I just know staff here isn't going to suggest items they don't sell.

In the end, OP will find what he needs and it'll work. The easiest suggestion for me is still the Rupes system as a whole even though I haven't tried it out personally yet.

I was just going off what Mike and others have said. I have the BnS pads and have yet to test them out on the Rupes, I have used the megs and Optimum. I prefer the megs. I too have the rupes washer mod. I find my pad stops all the time on 4-5 with the 6" plate and 6.5" pads on bends and curves.