PDA

View Full Version : Flex interchangeable backing plate kit

Just02896
12-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Anyone have / use this kit? I'd like to be able to drop down to a 5.5" pad for max cutting but still be able to run 6.5" pads for those quick one step jobs, and still be able to run 4" pads for tight areas. (Not super important since I pre-ordered a rupes 75e mini). The feedback has disappeared but I do remember some having issues with the kit. Any feedback would be very much appreciated!
FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-backing-plates.html)

OR...Should I just grab a 5" backing plate and run 5.5" pads on it and swap out to the 6" when I want to run 6.5" pads?
FLEX XC3401 Mini 4 3/8 Backing Plate, FLEX (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-mini-backing-plate.html)

tpr1634
12-29-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure who made it, it's a 4 1/2" plate I prefer to use the 5 1/2" pads.

KS_Detailing
12-29-2013, 11:48 AM
I have the interchangeable kit. Works fine with 4" pads. The flex has a 5.5" bp on it, the kit comes with the 4" & 6" bp.

tuscarora dave
12-29-2013, 01:04 PM
I have the kit and have had no problem with it. I also purchased an additional size Flex backing plate too. Can't really remember the size though it's smaller than the OEM backing plate. I have never really used it much as it's somewhat of an odd ball sized plate, too big for this pad too small for that pad etc.

I mainly use 6.5" and 4" foam pads on my flex polishers but use my H.F. DA and 5.5" MF pads 90% of the time.

parttimer
12-30-2013, 07:58 AM
I just used the kit for the first time last week. Be warned, there are no instructions in the bag. I assumed the thin washers went between the adapter and backing plate. Also for some reason they decided to use a different size allen bolt so you need two keys if you want to swap to the original and back to the kit. I ran 6.5" pads on the kit and worked well. Used cyan hydro's on a Dodge Ram.

autoenvy
12-30-2013, 08:38 AM
I've had bad luck with two different sets. Both sets, the plastic where the nut connects to the machine sheared right off withing 10 minutes of use. One was with absolutely no pressure on the pad. I like the idea of it though and I bought a ton of LC Hybrid pads to mate up with it. I might give them another try one day.

Sent from my HTC One X using AG Online

aim4squirrels
12-30-2013, 09:06 AM
I just purchased this kit as well as the LC 5" hybrid pads. I also have the OEM plate as well as the 4 3/8" plate that runs the smaller 5.5" pads with some cushion on the edges of the pad.

Parttimer is correct about there being no instructions, I wish they had included something as it might cut down on the breakage folks are seeing.

To my understanding thus far, folks have only had problems with the larger 6" plate breaking. Mike had recommended in previous threads to make sure to oil the felt under the backing plate, and to use only the washers and bolt that came with the kit. There are no directions in the kit to show how to place the washers.

My kit has 3 washers. Two of them are very thin, have a larger OD, but smaller ID than the smaller, thicker washer with the larger ID.

here's a pic:

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u348/mjnagel/IMAG0556_zpsf64eierp.jpg

Maybe Mike has a video out there to show the proper method of attachment? The package says the larger washers are shims for the 6" plate, but should you use both at once or is one extra (they're very thin)? They also fit in the hole for the 4" plate, should it be used there as well?

I just used the kit for the first time last week. Be warned, there are no instructions in the bag. I assumed the thin washers went between the adapter and backing plate. Also for some reason they decided to use a different size allen bolt so you need two keys if you want to swap to the original and back to the kit. I ran 6.5" pads on the kit and worked well. Used cyan hydro's on a Dodge Ram.

See, I would assume the shims are for speading the load of the bolt and thicker washer across all of the backing plate attachment point, not between the BP and mounted gear plate. Perhaps one on each side to reinforce the plastic?

Klink10
12-30-2013, 09:08 AM
I think Lake Country has a video on how to change the system with their kit.

aim4squirrels
12-30-2013, 09:24 AM
I think Lake Country has a video on how to change the system with their kit.

Yeah, that video is on the sales page in the link provided earlier, but there's no mention of the shims. I'm sure they were added later to account for possible breakage problems, but guidance on best placement and use would be great.

I just don't want to hose it and have to wait on a replacement as this is my one week to get after it.

02xtreme07SS
12-30-2013, 09:35 AM
The thick washer goes under the head of the socket-head cap screw that is used to mount the interchangable system to the Flex. The shims are used between the drive plate (plate with gears) and the 6" backing plate (larger plate with the velcro for 6 1/2" pads).

tedkj
01-08-2014, 03:42 PM
I've had bad luck with two different sets. Both sets, the plastic where the nut connects to the machine sheared right off withing 10 minutes of use. One was with absolutely no pressure on the pad. I like the idea of it though and I bought a ton of LC Hybrid pads to mate up with it. I might give them another try one day.

Sent from my HTC One X using AG Online

Yeah, the replacement I got from Autogeek failed on me 10 minutes ago. It broke right off where the 6" velcro plate attaches to the gear backing plate. I used the thin shim between the velcro plate and gear plate, and the thick shim between the gear plate and the machine - which I assume would be the correct way.

The first one broke after 2 cars, this one lasted almost 4 cars - full detailing with serious defect removal. The plastic was _very_ hot where it broke off.

I like the idea, but it seems the execution on this product is lacking. Perhaps use metal or a better quality plastic? I have done 70+ cars so far with the default 5.5" Flex original backing, and it is still going strong.

Autogeek - any ideas?

02xtreme07SS
01-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Yeah, the replacement I got from Autogeek failed on me 10 minutes ago. It broke right off where the 6" velcro plate attaches to the gear backing plate. I used the thin shim between the velcro plate and gear plate, and the thick shim between the gear plate and the machine - which I assume would be the correct way.

The first one broke after 2 cars, this one lasted almost 4 cars - full detailing with serious defect removal. The plastic was _very_ hot where it broke off.

I like the idea, but it seems the execution on this product is lacking. Perhaps use metal or a better quality plastic? I have done 70+ cars so far with the default 5.5" Flex original backing, and it is still going strong.

Autogeek - any ideas?

The thin shims only go in one place, sandwiched between the velcro backing plate and the drive plate. The thicker washer goes directing under the head of the bolt before inserting it through the velcro backing plate.

tedkj
01-08-2014, 06:15 PM
The thin shims only go in one place, sandwiched between the velcro backing plate and the drive plate. The thicker washer goes directing under the head of the bolt before inserting it through the velcro backing plate.

Yes - you're quite correct. They only fit one way, I swapped thin/thick in my previous post by mistake. :)

02xtreme07SS
01-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Yes - you're quite correct. They only fit one way, I swapped thin/thick in my previous post by mistake. :)

I know it can be confusing since the kit didn't come with any formal instructions. I did a quick writeup here on AG for anyone who may not be sure how to properly install the components of the kit.

LC Flex 3401 Interchangeable Backing Plate Assembly Instructions (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/75146-lc-flex-3401-interchangable-backing-plate-assembly-instructions.html)