PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to buy?

Pages : [1] 2

Psterjj
12-28-2013, 05:30 PM
So for Christmas I got a pretty good start on detailing products including a basic PC 7424XP kit. It came with pinnacle swirl remover and finishing polish. After playing around with it I'm not getting the results I want on my car. Granted it is semi old and wasn't ever properly taken care of. I do not know if it is because of the products I have are to weak or my poor technique or both.

Anyways, I have a little bit of money that I am willing to spend on detailing and was wondering what y'all would recommend? 3 inch backing plate and pads? Glass polishing stuff? Stronger compound or pads for my car?

Thanks in advance!

swanicyouth
12-28-2013, 05:34 PM
We need to see the paint to make a recommendation. It could be:

1. Need a more aggressive compound or approach.

2. Technique.

3. Clear coat failure.

My guess is #2. Technique is everything.

Psterjj
12-28-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm also positive that it isn't clear coat failure. I don't have a picture yet I'll try to get one when I get back home. I think my technique is definitely a factor especially since I have maybe 30 minutes of polishing time under my belt. It's jet black paint, completely covered in swirls but on the hood there are very severe water spots.

But do you think I should work on getting the pair fixed before I buy anything else?

Psterjj
12-28-2013, 05:38 PM
I meant to say almost not also. And thank you for the quick reply!

swanicyouth
12-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Try:

1. Putting more pressure on the polisher. As long as the pad is spinning your good. You want to put about 15lbs of pressure down.

2. Moving the polisher 1-2" a second

3. Priming the pad with a single whole spritz of detail spray. Just one spray. Prime the pad first very lightly, but completely with the polish as well. You only need 3 dime size dots of polish on the pad as "working product"

4. Run the machine at speed 6.

5. Use a 18x18" work area.

If you can get all 5 of those points coordinated at once, you will know if it's technique or you need a more aggressive combo.

Some common mistakes are:

1. Using too much polish. This actually decreased cut. Using too little polish can cause pad marring if it's running dry on paint.

2. Working too large an area.

3. Moving the polisher to fast.

4. Running the polisher to slow - backing plate not spinning or not spinning efficiently.

5. Overheating pads or not swapping out or cleaning pads frequently enough.

6. Not using the compression washer between the backing plate and the spindle.

**** One very important point: always feel around the polisher spindle and the pad to make sure things aren't getting to hot. Warm is OK. Hot - no good.

Psterjj
12-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Ok I will definitely try all of that! Thank you very much!

Psterjj
12-28-2013, 06:20 PM
What do you think would be more beneficial? 3 inch BP and pads or glass polishing supplies?

custmsprty
12-28-2013, 06:28 PM
3" bp and pads for sure.

Just02896
12-28-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm also positive that it isn't clear coat failure. I don't have a picture yet I'll try to get one when I get back home. I think my technique is definitely a factor especially since I have maybe 30 minutes of polishing time under my belt. It's jet black paint, completely covered in swirls but on the hood there are very severe water spots.

But do you think I should work on getting the pair fixed before I buy anything else?

Although the PC unit is a great tool for the money, it lacks a bit of torque. I would recommend picking up a more aggressive compound to remove the majority of the swirls and then finish it out with a nice polishing and LSP. Try Meg's 105! Best bang for your buck!

Psterjj
12-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Thank you for the suggestion! Is M105 more aggressive than megs ultimate compound?

Just02896
12-28-2013, 07:12 PM
M105 is more aggressive. Ultimate compound is between m105 and m83 I believe.

Wes Bremec
12-28-2013, 07:18 PM
I would like to state that even know a 3 inch pb will fit the pc, IMO the combo is not meant because of how large the top of the pc compared to the bp. The metal housing protrudes past the pb making it very hard to actually see what your polishing.

Just02896
12-28-2013, 07:23 PM
I would like to state that even know a 3 inch pb will fit the pc, IMO the combo is not meant because of how large the top of the pc compared to the bp. The metal housing protrudes past the pb making it very hard to actually see what your polishing.

Precisely why I pre-ordered the Rupes 75e mini! Can't wait for it to arrive so I can put it to the test!

Psterjj
12-28-2013, 07:46 PM
So I think I'm going to order some M105 for sure. Should I consider some hand applicators instead of the 3 inch BP and pads?

Psterjj
12-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Well it looks like M105 is about the same price as Wolfgang Uber Compound. Should I look into that a an alternative?