PDA

View Full Version : Needing some advice.

BigB02Z28
12-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Hey guys, I did mobile detailing out of Florida. I was lucky enough to do well enough for myself to save enough money to move to Texas and attend a school I've been wanting to go to. (Samracing.com).

I sold my mobile rig but kept my equipment, and had planned on not starting my business back up out here.

Long story short, wife is pregnant again and I'd like to supplement her income and not completely deplete our savings that we worked hard for.

I've made some good friends out here and a friend owns a performance shop dealing with aftermarket bolt ons and such with a lot of late model cars. We talked and he'd like me to detail out of his shop, which I think would benefit both of us greatly.

My questions:

-My LLC is Registered in Florida, so I have to start a "new" business in Texas, or can I just square everything up with the county for my occupational license and taxes like I did in Florida?

-What kind of insurance will I need to work underneath him? My typical policy and garage keepers is enough? (I think I need to get a new agent for out here, because our agent that does the home insurance on our rental property in Florida, wouldn't do it for our house in Texas)

-Does Texas require any special water collection mats or anything like that? Florida didn't, just couldn't direct water into a storm drain.

-We haven't discussed if I would pay him a flat rate to rent out a stall in the shop, or I was thinking to work off of percentages. Something like 30% If he sells the job, and 15% if I bring in my own job. (The numbers are just what I've pulled out of my head, I haven't actually crunched figures yet.)

Has anyone been in this type of situation? He rents out a section of his warehouse to a photographer for some really cool photoshoots, and he said that guy contracts out different detailing companies to correct a cars paint prior to some high end photoshoots, that we could keep everything in-house.

I lost my MSDS book somehow in the move, so I'll have to get a new one put together, but would anything differ being in a shop?

Thanks for any advice that could be given.

Justin M.
12-30-2013, 04:16 PM
I'll try to answer the areas that I have experience in, here goes:

- Not sure on the LLC in Texas, check with the city you live in?

- According to my insurance company, my normal "mobile" policy (liability, garage keepers, etc) is fine for when I work out of a shop.

- Not sure on Texas water specific stuff.

- I pay a flat per day rent fee for the shop space. If the guy running the shop has me detail one of the cars he is working on, I don't pay the rent fee.

Hope that helps and good luck!

BigB02Z28
12-31-2013, 05:13 AM
I'll try to answer the areas that I have experience in, here goes:

- Not sure on the LLC in Texas, check with the city you live in?

- According to my insurance company, my normal "mobile" policy (liability, garage keepers, etc) is fine for when I work out of a shop.

- Not sure on Texas water specific stuff.

- I pay a flat per day rent fee for the shop space. If the guy running the shop has me detail one of the cars he is working on, I don't pay the rent fee.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Thank you.

obguam
12-31-2013, 06:21 AM
Not in the business but as an attorney can offer the following:
- Your Fla LLC can probably register to do business in TX then get business license and permits.
- you prolly need ur own liability insurance policy.
- not sure about water issues but such issues usually are resolved when securing business license.
-

obguam
12-31-2013, 06:26 AM
- As for flat rate vs. percentage, this is something you need to figure out but flat rate usually leads to fewer conflicts.
- best advice I can offer is to document the terms, in writing, to avoid disputes down the road. Keep it simple and short term to start off.

Flash Gordon
12-31-2013, 07:57 AM
If you are a 1 man show an LLC is not needed

If the cars are being delivered to you, I wouldn't waste money on insurance (stick $ aside - self insure!)

As far as shop rent goes, I would ask the owner what he/she wanted before I opened my mouth

Congratulations on the new baby!