PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang DGPS prep work

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

UglyBetty
12-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Is it ok to use M205 or Menzera 4500 prior to WGDGPS 3.0 without using the paintwork polish enhancer? Will the product bond? Or can I follow the menz or Meg's polish with IPA, then DGPS?

Thanks in advance for your help!

jankerson
12-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Is it ok to use M205 or Menzera 4500 prior to WGDGPS 3.0 without using the paintwork polish enhancer? Will the product bond? Or can I follow the menz or Meg's polish with IPA, then DGPS?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes, I find it will bond fine after M205 etc. :)

You can waste your time if you want doing extra steps.... ;)

WRAPT C5Z06
12-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Follow with an IPA wipedown.

Just02896
12-28-2013, 09:38 AM
I did something similar to my truck last weekend. I used Menz 2500, Menz 4000, and applied WDGPS. I would however strongly recommend giving the paint a thorough wash after correction and before the sealant! Helps to make sure you get all of the compound, polish, and oils off the paint for a solid bond with the sealant. It also gives you one last chance to clean up around and inside emblems, trim, and moldings.

UglyBetty
12-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Thank you for the quick responses guys! I'll use M205 or menz 4500 followed by an IPA wipe down. I did 105/205 combo on the truck a few months ago, followed by 845. Truck doesn't need much, if any correction, just going to polish to remove the 845.

I've used DGPS on a white vehicle, but never on a dark vehicle(dark blue). Kinda curious how it will look.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Thank you for the quick responses guys! I'll use M205 or menz 4500 followed by an IPA wipe down. I did 105/205 combo on the truck a few months ago, followed by 845. Truck doesn't need much, if any correction, just going to polish to remove the 845.

I've used DGPS on a white vehicle, but never on a dark vehicle(dark blue). Kinda curious how it will look.
SF4500 has a ton of polishing oils. Make sure you do a good wipedown. A wash would be even better.

jankerson
12-28-2013, 09:50 AM

M205 on a finishing pad will strip and clean it right up. :xyxthumbs:

UglyBetty
12-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys

I thought M205 was water based(not sure if contains oils). I recall something about the oils in Menz4500, so I wondered if M205 might've the better of the two options where I could avoid a full wash after and possibly get by with an IPA wipe.

kantonburg
12-28-2013, 09:57 AM
SF4500 has a ton of polishing oils. Make sure you do a good wipedown. A wash would be even better.

Does a wash completely replace an IPA wipe?

Sent from my SCH-R530X using AG Online

jankerson
12-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys

I thought M205 was water based(not sure if contains oils). I recall something about the oils in Menz4500, so I wondered if M205 might've the better of the two options where I could avoid a full wash after and possibly get by with an IPA wipe.

You can go straight to LSP right after M205 from what I have found over time..

IF I wipe down after M205 with anything it's with M34.....

jankerson
12-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Does a wash completely replace an IPA wipe?

Sent from my SCH-R530X using AG Online

Why would you wash the car after doing a complete error correction and risk putting scratches into the paint you just corrected?

You really want to touch the paint as little as possible, especially after doing any type of error correction.

HateSwirls
You don't need to use an ISP wipe prior to applying the WGGPS IMHO.
Using 205 will strip any LSP as jankerson mentioned.

We both used the WGGPS after using 205 with great results

FUNX650
I've never ever used any Brand's "paintwork polish enhancer" prior to a WGDGPS application.
Nor any IPA wipe-downs for that matter.

In fact:
I've applied WGDGPS directly after using polishes such as M205...even 3M IHG and M07!!

I've found that the following Mike Phillips article addresses this subject very effectively:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html#post394355

There is very comprehensive information, therein, including detailing-morsels such as:
-Follow the manufactures' recommendations
-Statements from Chemists regarding synergy, bonding, etc.
-And one of my favorite Non-Chemist quotes about "bonding":

TO WIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca
"I've never walked out into a garage only to find out that overnight
the wax or paint sealant I applied slipped off the car's paint and piled-up
on the floor surrounding the car because it didn't bond or stick to the paint".

:)

Bob

UglyBetty
12-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Once again, incredibly helpful advice from this great forum!

M205, directly to DGPS it is!

Thank you all a bunch!

I was probably over complicating a rock fight, so to speak.

jankerson
12-28-2013, 10:15 AM
You don't need to use an ISP wipe prior to applying the WGGPS IMHO.
Using 205 will strip any LSP as jankerson mentioned.

We both used the WGGPS after using 205 with great results

I've never ever used any Brand's "paintwork polish enhancer" prior to a WGDGPS application.
Nor any IPA wipe-downs for that matter.

In fact:
I've applied WGDGPS directly after using polishes such as M205...even 3M IHG and M07!!

I've found that the following Mike Phillips article addresses this subject very effectively:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html#post394355

There is very comprehensive information, therein, including detailing-morsels such as:
-Follow the manufactures' recommendations
-Statements from Chemists regarding synergy, bonding, etc.
-And one of my favorite Non-Chemist quotes about "bonding":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca
"I've never walked out into a garage only to find out that overnight
the wax or paint sealant I applied slipped off the car's paint and piled-up
on the floor surrounding the car because it didn't bond or stick to the paint".

:)

Bob

Thanks guys....

I was going nuts here with people adding in extra steps that really aren't needed... And touching the paint more than is really needed risking putting scratches back that were just removed.

I don't get it......

Must be my show car background back in the late 70's....

After compounding with a rotary, then polishing with a rotary we had to polish the cars out BY HAND then apply glaze BY HAND before waxing..... Took days sometimes weeks to finish one car......

The guy who I used to work with would likely cut off ones hands if they touched the car more than was really needed....