PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars MF pads and Menzerna Polish

Faris63
12-28-2013, 04:53 AM
Hello guys

I ordered Meguiars MF pads cutting and finishing with their polish combo in 16oz. since I have all Menzerna polish in 32oz (FG400, PG1000, SI 1500, PF2500 and SF4000) I though I would use it

My question is : Would these pads work with these combo polish ?
Menzerna polish as compound FG-400, PG1000 and as finishing polish PF2500 or SF4000

Thanks

lazyjet
12-28-2013, 05:57 AM
I have use fg400 with megs mf cutting pad with great success on most paints although they need to be followed up with a polish.

I have not used there finishing pad as most members here and a few pros say foam finishes better

Tato
12-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi.

Sure it'll work very nice. You just need to make test spots before polishing a whole car.

Meg's MF cutting pads are very versatile, they recommend 4800 orbits speed but I also had success using it at speed 6 and low pressure / slightly fast arm speed. I mean, you will need to test the pads to get most of them for what you need.

I've used Uber Compound (closest I have to FG400) with MF Cutting pad (awesome), and PF2500 on cutting and finishing pad, all good. Already used UC, UP, M205, M100, and a lot others, Meguiar's MF pads are a great addition to any detailer. Lake country DA MF ones are great too, work pretty much the same way with everything.

The point to switch to MF pads is that you'll need to reconsider your actual foam pad technique. MF pads responds differently to pressure and speed, so for the first passes you'll need to get the feel from them. However, Foam and MF are complimentary in many aspects, we'll always need both kinds.

Generally (but not a rule), MF discs (even the finishing disc when using with a polish) may not get LSP ready in black / soft paints, but this is not a problem, because:

a) One single (and fast step) with a finer polish and a finishing FOAM pad gets you LSP ready.

b) Meguiar's included D301 (finishing Wax) is 'a BEAST' when used with the MF finishing disc provided.

I've tried to apply this wax (D301) by hand. Although I had success, I've noted it's 'harder' to spread and work than general wax and sealants.

Equipped with a 'punchy' MF Finishing pad, this cleaner/fine polish/wax is all you need to finish a work with MF. 'Slides' very easy over the paint, polishes well and wax, and is by far the Easiest product to wipe off on earth.

For this underrated and not so popular wax, I call Meguiar's guys Genius. The D301 was made to finish the MF compounding step with a MF pad, it's contents and consistency are ideal for that media. Do not underestimate it (like I've done before testing it myself).

Try all products you have, but do not forget 'the basics' (D300 / cutting disc, D301 / finishing disc). That way you'll have a high standard for comparison to start.

Hope I've helped,

Kind Regards.

cardaddy
12-29-2013, 12:10 AM
I have use fg400 with megs mf cutting pad with great success on most paints although they need to be followed up with a polish.

I have not used there finishing pad as most members here and a few pros say foam finishes better

Oh, without a doubt..... foam DOES finish better. On hard paint the finishing pad (along with the finishing wax) will look awesome. But that's not "LSP ready" because it IS an actual LSP in it's own right. It's designed as the last step in the "system". So not exactly something you'd use before applying another LSP because it'd have to be stripped first.

Hi.

Sure it'll work very nice. You just need to make test spots before polishing a whole car.

Meg's MF cutting pads are very versatile, they recommend 4800 orbits speed but I also had success using it at speed 6 and low pressure / slightly fast arm speed. I mean, you will need to test the pads to get most of them for what you need.

I've used Uber Compound (closest I have to FG400) with MF Cutting pad (awesome), and PF2500 on cutting and finishing pad, all good. Already used UC, UP, M205, M100, and a lot others, Meguiar's MF pads are a great addition to any detailer. Lake country DA MF ones are great too, work pretty much the same way with everything.

The point to switch to MF pads is that you'll need to reconsider your actual foam pad technique. MF pads responds differently to pressure and speed, so for the first passes you'll need to get the feel from them. However, Foam and MF are complimentary in many aspects, we'll always need both kinds.

Generally (but not a rule), MF discs (even the finishing disc when using with a polish) may not get LSP ready in black / soft paints, but this is not a problem, because:

a) One single (and fast step) with a finer polish and a finishing FOAM pad gets you LSP ready.

b) Meguiar's included D301 (finishing Wax) is 'a BEAST' when used with the MF finishing disc provided.

I've tried to apply this wax (D301) by hand. Although I had success, I've noted it's 'harder' to spread and work than general wax and sealants.

Equipped with a 'punchy' MF Finishing pad, this cleaner/fine polish/wax is all you need to finish a work with MF. 'Slides' very easy over the paint, polishes well and wax, and is by far the Easiest product to wipe off on earth.

For this underrated and not so popular wax, I call Meguiar's guys Genius. The D301 was made to finish the MF compounding step with a MF pad, it's contents and consistency are ideal for that media. Do not underestimate it (like I've done before testing it myself).

Try all products you have, but do not forget 'the basics' (D300 / cutting disc, D301 / finishing disc). That way you'll have a high standard for comparison to start.

Hope I've helped,

Kind Regards.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

I'd be very careful running the speed up with the MF pads. As you already know, they have a TON of cut and by design they matt down fairly quickly. Running the speed up doesn't really give you more cut imho, and may just give you less.

Now I may be wrong, but I have a couple of thoughts on that.

First; As you run faster, you are compressing the fibers MUCH faster than normal. You are also heating the pad up both faster, and likely much hotter than normal. Moving away from how they have designed the system to work by running the pads that fast is a sure fire way to, (at the very least) accelerate/shorten the life cycle of the pads, and very likely will result in early (if not catastrophic) pad failure.

Second; By running both faster, as well as matting down quicker (both of which results in a harder matt) I'm thinking that will instill marring that otherwise wouldn't be there. Not that the MF pads finish down anywhere NEAR as nice as foam, but actually adding micro-marring where it literally wouldn't have been is very likely to happen when you have a hard packed microfiber cutting pad running on the paint. Especially when it's running at speeds 30%~50% faster than it's designed for. That by itself can cause you to end up with twice as much finishing time. Just thinking out loud........

Remember, MF pads in the early stage, were known for early failure. To this day you'll hear more about those pads failing much more than you ever will about foam pads failing. The engineers at Mequiar's in their investigation as to what was causing pad failure ended up finding that most of the heat was being generated not on the paint side, but on the machine side. Moreover, in the Velcro itself! ;) That is why the Meguiar's "system" comes with it's own dedicated backing plate (whether it's the 5" or 6" system). Since they designed the integrated system as a whole their complaints of pad failures have all but disappeared. :dblthumb2:

All that aside, I really like the Mequiar's system. I just hate it that only now they end up coming up with a polish that fits above the "correction compound" but below the "finishing wax", and has the Mequiar's numbered nomenclature, but is out of freaking order with the other two. :rolleyes: Logic would dictate D300 (cutting), D301 (polishing) and D302 (finishing wax). But nooooooooo it's D300 (cutting) followed by D301 (finishing wax) and now, what a year later.... D302 that is shoehorned in between as the polish. :laughing:

Still has me wanting to get my hands on some though, knowing how good the other two are. (Like what I need about now is yet ANOTHER polish!) OMG! :laughing:

Tato
12-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Hello,

First of all, thanks for comments, that adds a lot. One must keep in mind that the statement I've made about using at higher speeds was: "...you will need to test the pads to get most of them for what you need."

Already being aware of this heating and pad 'delamination' issue, for sure I double my care if using at higher speed. Also, it's good to reduce pressure.

I have no doubt that anyone using those pads at higher than recommended speeds on corners and difficult spots, pad failure maybe immediate. I double cautious, triple cautious. Sorry if my comment sounded like 'turn up speed and go on until you damage the pad and (if not) the paint'.

What I've finally got is that using slow speed (recommended) and some pressure made the pad 'caked' every time, when more speed / less pressure (sometimes even 'hanging' the tool a bit) gives me the correction wanted and the fibers DON'T mat / cake down.

It's just an advice that you don't need to stick strictly with manufacture recommendations (who does?), they are (yes), versatile.

Just keep in mind Cardaddy's warnings about being very cautious about heat and pad failure.

It's up to individual, I've seen comments on foam pads delamination more than I should, and most of time, those failures are more an 'user error' by improper technique (or no technique at all) than product flaw. Mainly removing pads from machine pulling from the MFs instead of grabbing the whole pad is one of the major cause of MF pads early fail.

Again, thanks for comments,

Kind Regards.

silverfox
12-29-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm also impressed with D301 using a MF pad. It doesn't get much love but it is a product very much understood.

I can't wait to try the new D302 with a MF finishing pad. Hope to see a review on this combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Just02896
12-29-2013, 12:52 PM

Yep, I always finish off with Menz 4000 or 4500 and a white pad!

Tato
12-29-2013, 01:49 PM
D302 on a MF pad would be very nice, taken in account Meguiar's Staff concerns of making products to perfectly match it's prescribed usage.

For sure it'll take advantage of the MF, differently from using 'commonly foam pad products' on MF. Yes, they work, but generally looking for improved cutting, not finish.

I've also used MF finishing disc as a 'polishing disc', tried with M205 and others, works, albeit the finish is not like a foam finishing (specially on soft paint).

Meg's MF discs became famous mostly for the cutting discs. Who never switched to foam after cutting with MF, please, throw the 1st D301 wax bottle at me!

Maybe D302 is the answer to final polish with MF discs in any (I mean, most) paint.

Kind Regards.

cardaddy
12-30-2013, 01:21 AM
Hi Tato, No need to apologize brother. It's all good. ;)

Just as long as we make sure that we try to explain to those that haven't tried/used those products what problems might arise when not following the guidelines set forth by Meguiar's.

I miss the old days when we only had a hand full of products and that was what you used. You made it work, and that was that. Now we have dozens at our disposal literally every single day and imho may add to the confusion as we're constantly trying something 'new'. Rather than use one thing and get very good at it. :dunno: Jus' sayin'....... ;)