PDA

View Full Version : Which detailing package to go with?

kaboose786
12-28-2013, 02:59 AM
Hey everyone i live here in Canada and i bought a brand new 2014 Mazda3. Usually i detail my own car but its really cold to detail as i dont have my own garage anymore. So i found out about some reputed local detailers and here are the packages they are providing for my new vehicle:

1) Thorough wash, iron decontamination, tar/glue decontamination, clay bar treatment, and Silica paint sealant (CarPro Hydro2).
Price: $150 CAD

2) Thorough wash, clay bar treatment, Raceglaze black label (two coats)
Price: $240

I was also offered costs of opti pro and cquart finest but they are way out of my budget. I asked the detailers if they have the collinite845 as thats what i been using and they said those are much better than collinite845. Please autogeeks let me know your opinion on the mentioned package and the durability of those wax/sealants.
Thanks

tpr1634
12-28-2013, 06:32 AM
For me 845 is awesome, and it's cheap that's a great combination.

swanicyouth
12-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Hey everyone i live here in Canada and i bought a brand new 2014 Mazda3. Usually i detail my own car but its really cold to detail as i dont have my own garage anymore. So i found out about some reputed local detailers and here are the packages they are providing for my new vehicle:

1) Thorough wash, iron decontamination, tar/glue decontamination, clay bar treatment, and Silica paint sealant (CarPro Hydro2).
Price: $150 CAD

2) Thorough wash, clay bar treatment, Raceglaze black label (two coats)
Price: $240

I was also offered costs of opti pro and cquart finest but they are way out of my budget. I asked the detailers if they have the collinite845 as thats what i been using and they said those are much better than collinite845. Please autogeeks let me know your opinion on the mentioned package and the durability of those wax/sealants.
Thanks

845 is very durable, but may not have the "bling" of the other products. RG BL is a beautiful show car wax by all accounts, but likely not a winter wax. Your lucky to get 3 winter months out of either one of those LSPs. If he won't get you a $15 bottle of Collinite or let you source your own - find another detailer. I mean your in CANADA and he doesn't offer a durable winter wax? I guess it's all coatings now.

cardaddy
12-28-2013, 09:05 PM
I dunno' about Hydr02 being an actual "sealant". It's nothing more than a glorified spray wax. Sure it's silica based, prep is critical with ANY silica based product. Ask him if he's going to use DI water in the wash and especially the rinse and Hydr02 application?

Don't get me wrong, I like Hydr02, and it's a great "up sale" over a spray wax but you literally put it on a wet car and rinse it off with running water, then dry. That's IT!
Great that it goes on everything, including all your plastic and vinyl trim, but you have better options.

I'd think in Canada that Collinite would be pretty darned popular as it is a very long lasting product. Especially as he's paying $15 (well down here it's $15 US) for a SINGLE APPLICATION of Hydr02, he should be able to get a whole darned bottle of Collinite!

He must be wanting a ton for cQuartz I take it. (Finest perhaps?) :dunno:
Wonder if you got a bottle of Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating "PBLPC", and he's familiar with coatings if you could talk him into applying it?

If not, I'd put a sealant on it. Thing is, unless you're doing some paint correction, (which you'll need, even on the new Mazda), ESPECIALLY as he's going to clay/Nanoskin whatever he's going to decon the paint with will leave marks, you can trust me on that.

So, if after all that, he IS going to do some sort of AIO/paint correction THEN I'd do a coating. If not I would NOT do a coating, not without paint correction / swirl removal. Do a sealant, even if it's WG, Pinnacle, Klasse, even Megs M21 2.0. It'll last for months, is easy to reapply, and is easy to buff off. (You can do it yourself.)

A.P.A.D.
12-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Hydro2 is an actual sealant. I give it the "Best Detail Product of 2013" award. lol

The awesome thing about dealing with a CQ Finest installer is the level of skill and knowledge that comes with that detailer, whether you pick the Finest package or not. In order to be an installer, CarPro has to pick you to be an installer, making sure that the work, knowledge, and business reflects their product.

I use Hydro2 on my personal vehicles and it is an amazing product. The ease of application is great, but the results are amazing as well. The paint is slick and glossy after application and the sheeting/beading of water is amazing as well. Durability is up to 3 months (which is great for $150) with the correct prep. It looks like the first package mentioned includes the correct prep. Have this done every three months and in the meantime save up for CQ Finest.

Munich77
12-29-2013, 09:57 AM
I would go with number 1 and then go home and put a coating on it.

A.P.A.D.
12-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Munich77, coatings must be applied to a "clean slate". Preferably to a fully corrected surface that is also free of oils, sealants, waxes etc for proper bondings.

Munich77
12-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Munich77, coatings must be applied to a "clean slate". Preferably to a fully corrected surface that is also free of oils, sealants, waxes etc for proper bondings.

Right so you do package one, wash with APC and then do wipedown and you are set for coatings.

A.P.A.D.
12-29-2013, 03:52 PM
If you are going to coat the car Munich77, then there is no point in applying a sealant to the paint. I would never apply a coating without polishing the paint first. Polishing would remove any sealants or waxes on the paint. In fact, if you were going to coat it, I would recommend correction to the paint to remove any swirls or scratches.

Before coating:

-Wash
-Clay
-Iron decontamination
-Compound
-Polish
-Remove polishing oils with Carpro Eraser (possibly wash again before this step)
-Coat

If you dont have the coin for a coating (i would recommend CQ Finest or OC Pro) then just go with package 1 this detailer is offering.

btw, who is the detailer?

kaboose786
12-29-2013, 11:44 PM
If you are going to coat the car Munich77, then there is no point in applying a sealant to the paint. I would never apply a coating without polishing the paint first. Polishing would remove any sealants or waxes on the paint. In fact, if you were going to coat it, I would recommend correction to the paint to remove any swirls or scratches.

Before coating:

-Wash
-Clay
-Iron decontamination
-Compound
-Polish
-Remove polishing oils with Carpro Eraser (possibly wash again before this step)
-Coat

If you dont have the coin for a coating (i would recommend CQ Finest or OC Pro) then just go with package 1 this detailer is offering.

btw, who is the detailer?

hehe u been replying to the wrong guy. Munich isnt the OP.

Since its a brand new car i dont think it needs to polish or compounded? right?

Its a local detailer here in Toronto. Thx for ur help. i was told by the detailer that it longevity of the Hydro02 depends on the prep work so even though the carpro website mentions 3 months that detailer is telling it will be about 6 months.

cardaddy
12-30-2013, 12:57 AM

Its a local detailer here in Toronto. Thx for ur help. i was told by the detailer that it longevity of the Hydro02 depends on the prep work so even though the carpro website mentions 3 months that detailer is telling it will be about 6 months.

It may not need a LOT of correction, but before ANY coating is applied it will need correction. If, (by some strange reason) the vehicle made it to the dealership without any swirls being added during transportation, you can bet the dealership will have put some swirls on it just during their "prep".

They are not interested in keeping swirls off new paint, just prepping and getting them on the lot ASAP. Like when they remove the plastic and wipe it down with whatever rags and towels they've been using all week. Even if those towels have been laying on dirty cars, hit the ground, or have been used for washing dirty cars.

The time to coat a car with minimal buffing and polishing is indeed when it's new. That's why OC Pro offers the warranty version of their product on NEW vehicles, not 10 year old ones. Not that old paint can't be made 'good as new', but that new paint is closer to where you want it to be from the start.

After decontamination with Iron-X, and claying/Nanoskin-ing the paint it's possible that just a light finishing polish will be enough. Just want to make sure between steps that all the swirls and RIDS are gone before it's coated.

Whether you coat it or seal it is totally up to what you are looking for, and how long you want it to last. Nothing wrong with a sealant/sealing it, just that you're going to get from 3 to 9 months depending on how often you wash, what your washing method is, what driving conditions and weather conditions, is it stored inside or out, etc.

Where if you coat it, you'll get from 1 to 3 years. Unless you're looking at OC Pro and paying for the longer warranty. (Same product, just that it costs 4 times as much BECAUSE it has a warranty behind it.) ;)

The Hydr02 is silica based, like a coating would be, but it's not a coating, more of a sealant. A single application bottle is $15 which when you look at it compared to even the best spray wax, it'll last at least twice as long. One neat benefit of Hydr02 is you are spraying it all over the vehicle, plastic, glass, wheels, everything. Doesn't discolor, and gives the same protection everywhere it lands. (At least that's what they say it does.) ;)

I know it sure makes water bead and sheet! Yet I'd rather know I've hand wiped a sealant on the paint, no matter if it's a wipe on, let haze, wipe off. Or a wipe on walk away type sealant. Either of those and you KNOW how well it's covered, front to back, top to bottom. :)

A.P.A.D.
12-30-2013, 09:33 AM

sorry. My first response to him I knew it wasnt you and then my second response to him I was just too worried your were going to do package one and then spray apc on it then coat it. LOL

im guessing the detailer is GTA or Concours Touch?

6 months with Hydro2 on a daily driver would be impressive.

cardaddy
12-30-2013, 03:46 PM
6 months with Hydro2 on a daily driver would be impressive.

You betcha! ;)

It'd be impressive in dry season, in the south. In the Canadian winter I'd imagine hitting the lottery to be easier. :bolt:

shagnat
12-30-2013, 03:53 PM
I would go with number 1 and then go home and put a coating on it.
+1 :iagree: