PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Conversation

Pages : [1] 2

KJW Detailing
12-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Contacted via text message by an individual asking if I had any availability today. The individual didn't offer any other information. I'm not going to respond with a yes or no until I know what the vehicle and service is their requesting. So, I proceeded to ask who I'm speaking to, the vehicle, and service desired.

The individual calls me: (Utah # which could mean nothing), but he states that he has a client that is requesting a wash/wax, engine detail, and full interior detail. They need it completed today. I asked for the type of vehicle and they response I was given is an SUV or van of some sort, but idk if it's a small SUV, third row SUV, etc. I politely told the individual, ok, allow me a few minutes to look things over and I'll contact you back. A few minutes pass and I receive another text message, that the job would pay 160$.

At this point, my decision has already been made, but I contact the individual back and explain to him that the requested job will cost 250$.

I was told thanks and that was it.

Just a bizarre interaction.

swanicyouth
12-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Sounds like another detailer overbooked & looking to farm out work and make some $$$ on it. Shady. You made the right choice.

GenesisCoupe
12-27-2013, 03:19 PM
$250 is a lot more reasonable than $160, that's kinda offensive imo...

What if it was trashed? I would want additional $$

KJW Detailing
12-27-2013, 03:30 PM
$250 is a lot more reasonable than $160, that's kinda offensive imo...

What if it was trashed? I would want additional $$

I would have made that clean prior to accepting the job.

Bill1234
12-27-2013, 03:33 PM
You made the right call here, however, People dont exactly know what goes into work like this, how about texting the owner back and say what you need to do if you know the deal is not shady

KJW Detailing
12-27-2013, 03:37 PM
I never spoke with the owner, but a middle man of some sort.

I've even done a bit of research following the call and it seems as though the number belongs to a Mobile Detailing business out of Utah. The site looks nicely put together and their prices are similar to mine, yet I was asked to do the work for much less?????

Hoytman
12-27-2013, 03:38 PM
I want to first speak to (literally) a potential client, then and only then will I resume contact via text message.

In my mind being able to hear tone in a conversation can help make or break a potential transaction.

They have time to make a text, which means that have the same amount of time to place a call. To me, if they don't have time to talk to me personally, then they surely don't have time for me to sell them what they need.

Yes, I do text on rare occasions.

Got a "Merry Christmas" text from a relative. Are you kidding me? They really wanted to say Merry Christmas to me. Isn't that the time of year when it's nice to see and hear from friends/relatives you haven't seen in awhile?

ShaunD
12-27-2013, 03:43 PM
sounds like an unprofessional person that contacted you and was probably trying to make some money off you doing the job for under what he quoted his customer. No loss IMO.

KJW Detailing
12-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Sounds like another detailer overbooked & looking to farm out work and make some $$$ on it. Shady. You made the right choice.

He very we'll may have overbooked, but this job was local to me, in NJ.

FUNX650
12-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Got a "Merry Christmas" text from a relative. Are you kidding me? They really wanted to say Merry Christmas to me.

Isn't that the time of year when it's nice to see and hear from friends/relatives you haven't seen in awhile?
^^^:iagree:^^^

We went to visit/dine with some friends and relatives on Christmas Eve.
Afterwards (as is the custom/tradition):
The menfolk went to the living room to 'ruminate' about the last year's events in our family's lives.
Much to my chagrin:
My Wife's Grandfather (103 years of age) and I were the only ones that didn't have some electronic device in their hands.
Come to think about now: We two had such a rewarding, marvelous conversation!!

I want to first speak to (literally) a potential client, then and only then will I resume contact via text message.

In my mind being able to hear tone in a conversation can help make or break a potential transaction.

They have time to make a text, which means that have the same amount of time to place a call.
To me, if they don't have time to talk to me personally, then they surely
don't have time for me to sell them what they need.

Yes, I do text on rare occasions.
^^^:iagree:^^^

For most Businesses nowadays:

I see phone calls---text messaging as Bill explained above...are more about maintaining
the customer relationship, and becoming less of a tool for customer acquisition.

Attitude matters. Courtesy counts. Tone tells all.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

OP:
I've seen other threads regarding similar: "awkward conversations".
There's the chance they were just putting out feelers about what other Detailers charge for their services.

And: I, too, believe you were correct in your actions.

Bob

KJW Detailing
12-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Well, the individual did contact me again via text, asking for my email if future work presents itself. I said sure, but I had a few questions. Apparently, the individual works for National Detail Pros, Inc. A quick glance through the email sent and their webpage, it seems as though they're trying to build a preferred detailers list, similar to being an Authorized OptiCoat Pro Installer. I'm going to look into it a bit more, but unlikely to proceed, as I would expect some loss of profit if the referral came through them.

cleanmycorolla
12-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Id avoid doing any business with people that called you. Sounds fifty shades of shady.

Hoytman
12-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Id avoid doing any business with people that called you.
Are you sure that's what you meant to say? I don't have a problem with potential clients calling me.

CCC4me
12-28-2013, 11:01 PM
I would have passed too in this situation. Their website and service look interesting, though. I wish I could find more info on them so I could "drop by" and check them out.

goodinblack
12-28-2013, 11:08 PM
I think this was some sort of a scam........

I too own a business.......is not detailing related......

I have received two SMS messages like this that requested our services.

Just a message out of the blue. I totally ignored it entirely.

Scams are elaborate now..... heck look at target