PDA

View Full Version : newbie looking for some advice

taxi_dub
12-27-2013, 02:22 PM
hi all i am i newbie out of new york, i have been lurking around a couple months now.i have never did any detailing before, it has been something i want to learn and start something with my life. i have done lots of research and people seem to say rupes is the way to go. i know some might say i should start off with a griot garage polisher or a pc, the thing is i rather spend that money once on a better machine. so my issue is should i buy the rupes LHR12e or get the 21mm with the 5inch backing plate? thanks for the help

here is a list of some goodies i have purchased on black friday:

- optimum no rinse
- nanoskin towel, sponge foam pads
- sonic carnaubavore wax
- menzerna FG400 and SF4500
- sonax net shield
- black label surface cleansing polish
- carpro ironX
- mircofiber towels
- chemical guys car wash soap. ( glossworkz, citrus wash, honeydew snow foam)
- chemical guys snow foam cannon.

swanicyouth
12-27-2013, 02:29 PM
The thing is, if you go Rupes, you will likely need 2 machines. One for 5"+ pads (Duetto / 15 / 21) and one for sub-5" pads (Mini). If you go Griots, all pad sizes up to 6.5" can be used with one machine (you will need the appropriate BPs). So, Rupes may be a hefty initial investment. I'm not saying it's not worth it, because it is.

However, there isn't much a Rupes can do that a Griots 6" can't do in the right hands. So, now you talking $150 for a GG6 - or $700 for Rupes machines. The Griots comes with a no hassle LIFETIME warranty. Rupes - 1 year I believe.

If your going Rupes and doing this for a business I think the 21 & a Mini may be your best choice.

GenesisCoupe
12-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Go for the GG. I started out with a PC but when i used the GG it didn't bounce as much as the GG. Since then i moved on to a Flex.

HateSwirls
12-27-2013, 03:36 PM
If your wanting the Rupes then I say go for it.
As for the GG6 is concerned it has done more than I thought it could.
I've corrected some of the worst paints with it with outstanding results.
Have my rotary too.
That being said I too usually buy the best tool the first time because I know how I am in that I'll spend more money down the road if I buy second best.

I've never used a Rupes but love what it can do for you with it's massive throw.
The throw is its best feature IMO even though I never had one in my hands.

You won't regret by buying the Rupes.
Get it:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AG Online

Rival
12-27-2013, 03:42 PM
get a CG and a mikita 9227 or cheaper rotary.

there are always going to be jobs a rotary makes very short work of.

Even with a good DA & pad/product choices, a rotary has its place.

taxi_dub
12-27-2013, 06:57 PM
So I'm thinking about getting the 21mm with the 5inch backing plate, rupes blue, white and a microfiber pad. I am also thinking about the griot garage 3 inch kit with a two pack of microfiber pads, am I missing anything ? I plan on ordering this before 12 so I get the 15%and free shipping.

KJW Detailing
12-28-2013, 08:30 PM
I'd just like to briefly chime in if I may...first, you can't go wrong with either machine, but you should consider the warranty of both the Rupes and GG. Rupes only comes with a one year warranty, while the GG comes with a lifetime warranty. I have first hand experience with GG and their customer service as my 2nd gen GG6 broke. I contacted then, sent the polisher in and a week later I received the 3rd gen GG6. Can't beat that!

Like others have said, the GG6 is very versatile. I have a 5" backing plate for 5.5" pads and a 3" backing plate for 4.5" pads.

pikiki
12-28-2013, 09:10 PM
I'd just like to briefly chime in if I may...first, you can't go wrong with either machine, but you should consider the warranty of both the Rupes and GG. Rupes only comes with a one year warranty, while the GG comes with a lifetime warranty. I have first hand experience with GG and their customer service as my 2nd gen GG6 broke. I contacted then, sent the polisher in and a week later I received the 3rd gen GG6. Can't beat that!

Like others have said, the GG6 is very versatile. I have a 5" backing plate for 5.5" pads and a 3" backing plate for 4.5" pads.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

shagnat
12-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Wow. Some of these recommendations are pretty extreme for someone who is just starting out. I'd say let him grow at his own pace. He has some great products. I'd start with a PC 7424xp or on the cheap a Harbor Freights DA machine.
Then after a period of time if he wants to move further, deeper, into detailing do it after some experience, don't jump into the deep water right off the bat.

KJW Detailing
12-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Wow. Some of these recommendations are pretty extreme for someone who is just starting out. I'd say let him grow at his own pace. He has some great products. I'd start with a PC 7424xp or on the cheap a Harbor Freights DA machine.
Then after a period of time if he wants to move further, deeper, into detailing do it after some experience, don't jump into the deep water right off the bat.

The PC is a great machine, but the nominal price difference between the PC and GG6' make this an easy decision. The GG6 is perfect for individuals new to detailing and the professionals.

ski2
12-28-2013, 10:56 PM
The PC is a great machine, but the nominal price difference between the PC and GG6' make this an easy decision. The GG6 is perfect for individuals new to detailing and the professionals.

+1 Don't see how anyone can ignore the lifetime warranty on the GG6. It's a perfect machine for the weekend detailer and pro alike with plenty of oomph. Equipped with the right pad and polish there isn't anything it can't handle and you certainly don't have to worry about it bogging down under pressure.

bsmith0404
12-28-2013, 11:28 PM
The machines I use are different than what you are asking about, but I just want to throw this out there. You mentioned the Rupes and the GG 3", you way of thinking is spot on (IMO) and I'm sure you would be happy with these.

I use the Flex 3401 and the PC 7424XP. I have the PC set up with 3" pads, but have both the 3' and 5" backing plates so I have the option to step up to the larger pads if I ever have a need to. I also have multiple backing plates for the Flex, but pretty much keep it set up with the larger pads for doing the major correction work.

The Critic
12-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Starting out, get a HF DA polisher and decide if this is something that you really enjoy doing.

Once you've decided, then get a Flex 3401 and a Rupes 21. The Flex can go down to a 4" pad, while the Rupes cannot. Both machines have their pros and cons.