PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat 2.0 and Touchless Car Wash

Pages : [1] 2

jayshut11
12-27-2013, 02:18 PM
I helped my buddy Opti-Coat his car this past weekend. He's not much of a detailer himself, but he does understand proper wash technique etc. He's very accustomed to a weekly car wash, and is wondering if he can take his car through a touchless car wash since it doesn't physically touch the paint. Would there be any issue with him doing this?

swanicyouth
12-27-2013, 02:23 PM
There is one issue. You can't dry the car by hand after going through a touch-less, because it's not 100% clean. So, it will likely be wet when he drives down the road (somewhat). This will eventually leave water spots - something some OC dudes struggle with.

Since he isn't much of a detailer, I'm guessing he hasn't spent 3 bills for a Master Blaster. Also, by the time you get home - it's likely already dry.

jayshut11
12-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Since he isn't much of a detailer, I'm guessing he hasn't spent 3 bills for a Master Blaster. Also, by the time you get home - it's likely already dry.

You would be correct. He was thinking of using touchless especially during the cold Michigan winter when he doesn't want to wash by hand. Since our cars sit outside at school they don't stay clean for long. :(

Would the harsh chemicals negatively affect the OC overtime?

swanicyouth
12-27-2013, 02:38 PM
You would be correct. He was thinking of using touchless especially during the cold Michigan winter when he doesn't want to wash by hand. Since our cars sit outside at school they don't stay clean for long. :(

No. OC is very hearty.

jayshut11
12-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks! Would there be any length of time to wait before taking a car through due to OC curing?

His main goal is to get a lot of the salt and road grime off when the weather isn't so nice.

DevilsNDetails
12-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Be careful with some touchless washes. Make sure it has a vinyl guard over the guide bars for your wheels. I made that mistake and have a nice scuff on my rims thanks to bare metal guide bars.

swanicyouth
12-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks! Would there be any length of time to wait before taking a car through due to OC curing?

His main goal is to get a lot of the salt and road grime off when the weather isn't so nice.

I think, don't quote me - you can get the car wet in an hour and wash it in a day (conventional soap). However, nobody knows what is in touch-less car wash soap. Probably not even the dude who sells it. pH neutral? Doubt it! APC like surfactants? Likely!

If it was me, I'd feel safe with 5-7 days of cure time.

Be careful with some touchless washes. Make sure it has a vinyl guard over the guide bars for your wheels. I made that mistake and have a nice scuff on my rims thanks to bare metal guide bars.

If I saw "guide bars", I'd be outta there so fast I'd probably get a ticket.

jayshut11
12-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Great tip! That's something I'm cognizant of, but something he probably isn't. He through a lift kit on just for looks this past fall...

jayshut11
12-27-2013, 02:52 PM
However, nobody knows what is in touch-less car wash soap. Probably not even the dude who sells it. pH neutral? Doubt it! APC like surfactants? Likely!

Haha, good point. Thanks for the input. I'll pass the advice on to him. :xyxthumbs:

RaskyR1
12-27-2013, 03:25 PM
I helped my buddy Opti-Coat his car this past weekend. He's not much of a detailer himself, but he does understand proper wash technique etc. He's very accustomed to a weekly car wash, and is wondering if he can take his car through a touchless car wash since it doesn't physically touch the paint. Would there be any issue with him doing this?

The biggest issue is that touch-less washes don't get the car totally clean and what they leave behind will start to bond to the paint over time, especially with repeated touch-less washes. IMO you need some sort of agitation to get the paint totally clean. If he wants to do touch-less I'd suggest following it with ONR or some form of a water-less wash.

Spotting may also be an issue with touch-less.

KillaCam
12-27-2013, 03:33 PM
The biggest issue is that touch-less washes don't get the car totally clean and what they leave behind will start to bond to the paint over time, especially with repeated touch-less washes. IMO you need some sort of agitation to get the paint totally clean. If he wants to do touch-less I'd suggest following it with ONR or some form of a water-less wash.

Spotting may also be an issue with touch-less.

This. He would probably have to clay the car soon after if all he went to was touchless washes.

DevilsNDetails
12-27-2013, 03:46 PM
If I saw "guide bars", I'd be outta there so fast I'd probably get a ticket.

Worst of all it was within five days of owning my first brand new car. The next morning I found autogeek and haven't looked back!

Also what I do since I live in MI is take my two buckets full of hot water, one with soap, to a DIY powerwashing place and wash and dry my car there. That way I use MY soap and MY Towels and NO scratches. Plus the hot water keeps you from getting frostbite on the hands!

ski2
12-27-2013, 04:28 PM

Provided the OC has fully cured!!!

ski2
12-27-2013, 04:31 PM
If it was me, I'd feel safe with 5-7 days of cure time.

I thought full cure time was 30 days????

swanicyouth
12-27-2013, 04:37 PM
I thought full cure time was 30 days????

Probably more like 90 days. But I'd feel safe washing it in a touch less car wash in 5-7 days. Again, all my opinion.