PDA

View Full Version : Inverter Question

Pages : [1] 2

Reveddie25
12-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Hello guys, today I installed a cobra 1565 (1500 watts 3000 peak) inverter in my service truck which I use for my mobile detailing business. I hooked it up with 0 gauge wire and got the normal readings of 12.x volts with the truck off and 14.x volts with the truck at idle. I then proceeded to test it out with my Ridgid 6.0 hp wet/dry vacuum which draws about 1320 watts. as soon as I turned on the vac the voltage dropped from 14.x volts to 11.5 setting off the LVP (low voltage protection) alarm. I believe the problem is not the vacuum nor the inverter because I also connected a smaller vacuum which uses about 640 watts and again the voltage slowly dropped below 11.5 volts. My question is, would a deep cycle battery like the optima yellow top fix this problem or would I need to upgrade to a high output alternator?

Chicago Tommy
12-27-2013, 01:25 AM
I'm curious about this as well. I had a 1000w nitrous bottle heater and a 1500w max inverter, the inverter blew the first time I tried to use it with the heater.

FUNX650
12-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Hello guys, today I installed a cobra 1565 (1500 watts 3000 peak) inverter in my service truck which I use for my mobile detailing business. I hooked it up with 0 gauge wire and got the normal readings of 12.x volts with the truck off and 14.x volts with the truck at idle. I then proceeded to test it out with my Ridgid 6.0 hp wet/dry vacuum which draws about 1320 watts. as soon as I turned on the vac the voltage dropped from 14.x volts to 11.5 setting off the LVP (low voltage protection) alarm. I believe the problem is not the vacuum nor the inverter because I also connected a smaller vacuum which uses about 640 watts and again the voltage slowly dropped below 11.5 volts. My question is, would a deep cycle battery like the optima yellow top fix this problem or would I need to upgrade to a high output alternator?
-The "start up" wattage of the vacuums may be more than this inverter can handle (inverters usually have only a 90% efficiency rating)
-May be it is time to upgrade to a new battery
-But...Check the entire system's voltage with a true RMS volt meter first. That includes the alternator.

Bob

Reveddie25
12-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Thanks alot bob, I will check out the entire system tomorrow and see where I go from there.

Coach Steve
12-27-2013, 02:52 AM
-The "start up" wattage of the vacuums may be more than this inverter can handle (inverters usually have only a 90% efficiency rating)
-May be it is time to upgrade to a new battery
-But...Check the entire system's voltage with a true RMS volt meter first. That includes the alternator.

Bob
:iagree:The initial draw the vac makes is significantly higher than the normal operating wattage - like, a lot higher! Bob is spot-on with his answer. Your inverter most likely isn't rated for that high of a draw.

Reveddie25
12-27-2013, 04:56 AM
That being the case wouldn't the voltage drop only for a moment when the vac is turned on and then go back up? This alarm stays on until I turn the vacuum off, if I don't the inverter automatically shuts off making it useless. Like bob said maybe its time for a new battery. Ill probably end up getting a yellow top.

Thanks for answering guy's

Reveddie25
12-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Hey guys, so I fixed my problem, I had a bad alternator which was not generating enough amps to fully power the inverter. It turned out to be a quick $60.00 fix, no need for a fancy battery or huge $200 alternator for this one. I learned ALOT about this topic and pretty much now understand how it all works. If ever needed, Ill be happy to share what I learned and help someone out.

feslope
12-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Hey guys, so I fixed my problem, I had a bad alternator which was not generating enough amps to fully power the inverter. It turned out to be a quick $60.00 fix, no need for a fancy battery or huge $200 alternator for this one. I learned ALOT about this topic and pretty much now understand how it all works. If ever needed, Ill be happy to share what I learned and help someone out.I'd like to know your $60.00 fix.

FUNX650
12-27-2013, 07:08 PM
-But...Check the entire system's voltage with a true RMS volt meter first.
That includes the alternator.

Hey guys, so I fixed my problem,
I had a bad alternator.

It turned out to be a quick $60.00 fix,

I'd like to know your $60.00 fix.

^^^Me too!!^^^

Perhaps swapping-out the alt's diodes/triodes?

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/think.gif

Bob

Reveddie25
12-27-2013, 07:29 PM
sorry for not being specific about the quick $60.00 dollar fix. I bought a new regular 105 amp alternator at the local auto part store for $60.00 that simple. Now when I hit the switch the voltage only drops down to 12.8 volts which is more than enough for my vacuum and other tools. I was seriously considering just buying a generator and forget about the whole inverter idea without knowing my alternator was bad, I'm glad I didn't, my battery would've died eventually.

AutoSparkle
12-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Do you always have to have the vehicle running to use your tools?
Doesn't this use more gas than a generator.
Can you run tools off the deep cell without running the vehicle for a short time.
Sorry so many questions?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using AG Online

tuscarora dave
12-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Here are some interesting facts and recommendations on the use of inverters.

Inverter_FAQ (http://www.all-battery.com/inverterfaq.aspx#Q8:) What type of battery should I use (automotive or deep cycle)

Reveddie25
12-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Yes the vehicle is running while using the inverter. Not sure if it does or not I decided to go with the inverter mainly because I don't have enough space for a generator in the bed of my truck. I work on a lot of Rv's and have a big 275 gallon tank, large storage box for chemicals, pressure washer, vacuum and will probably add a small air compressor soon. The truck has no cig lighter so it's also nice to have the inverter in there to charge my cell phone, laptop ect..., As far as I know a deep cycle batt can be used with the vehicle off, its best to use two batteries hooked up in parallel and use an isolator which will draw power from the deep cycle batt but not the regular starting battery. The alternator will charge both batteries when running.

tuscarora dave
12-27-2013, 09:38 PM
A little more info, perhaps a little more pertinent.

THE TRUTH ABOUT INVERTERS | 3000 WATT INVERTER VS 3000 WATT GENERATOR (http://www.fabcopower.com/inverters.html)

AutoSparkle
12-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the information guys very helpful. Almost sounds to be more of a pain in the rear.
I need to run a steamer and vacuum at the same time so looks like I would need more invested to do it right.
Hmmm

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using AG Online