PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar and paint cleaner?

shagnat
12-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Just for the purposes of keeping a daily driver in nice looking condition (no snow, sand, or mud, just road film/grime) is it a good idea to clay bar AND use a paint cleaner?

If so, in which order?

If not, which single one do you like for purposes of cleaning the paint in preparation to get the paint in good condition for the rest of the detail process.

jamesboyy
12-27-2013, 12:06 AM
The clay bar grabs the contamination while a paint cleaner polishes away the particals, if you are going to use both products be sure to clay bar the surface then use to the paint cleaner after the clay bar but IMO you only need the clay bar

Jaretr1
12-27-2013, 09:39 AM
I suppose the answer to that question can be based on how much work you wish to do and how good you want your car to look.

I just did both to my daily driver.

I clayed the car first (because this removes the above surface bonded contaminents). I actually used Optimum Opti-Eraser which is a clay bar substitute. You can see if your car needs claying by using the baggie test. Get a small plastic bag, put your hand inside and then run it gently over the surface of the paint. It amplifies the sensitivity of your hand and allows you to feel whats on your paint.

After I "clayed" my car I did use a paint cleaner, Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. Paint cleaners remove any waxes or sealants already on the paint to leave the paint "clean" for a new layer of protection. Many also include fillers and oils to enhance the finish.

I finalized by adding protection on top of that.

If you use a "cleaner wax" or all in one product, then you can save a step by not needing a paint cleaner.