PDA

View Full Version : Removing Water Spot?

pikiki
12-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi guys and girls,
I encounter a situation today with a 2013 Mustang GT silver gray color with bunch of water spot everywhere. All top parts of the car were cover with the water spots. Here is what I did:
1. I wash and dry the car

2.Clay the car (medium grade clay)

3. A spot test with Meg`s correction kit. This remove the water spot nicely on the right fender so I went for the rest of the car.

4. When I got to the roof, I was not able to remove some deep spots with Meg`s kit.

5. SO I jump on a compound with a yellow LC pad. Did nothing on it.

6. So I use a MSR or mineral and heavy water spot removal product. I follow the direction by the number and nothing.

MY questions are:

Did the water spots can pass the clear coat?

What else can be done in this situation?

I appreciate for the advices and for your time to respond to my questions.

(English is my second language so excuse me for any spelling mistake(s).

pikiki
12-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Anyone?? 20+ views and no suggestions?

ken tuep
12-26-2013, 07:41 PM
What compound, pad, and polisher are you using?

You say all the spots were removed except on the roof?

It seems that they may have etched into the clearcoat, which can be a bear to remove. I've had to use my rotary buffer with a wool pad, and Meguiars m105 to dig out some deep waterspots. I believe Ford has a medium /hard clearcoat, and may take more than one or two section passes to level the paint.

Have you determined what type of spots you have? Mike Phillips has an article on the types of spots, and common remedies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Rsurfer
12-26-2013, 07:42 PM
A heavy compound should take it out. Do you have a wool pad and a rotary?

pikiki
12-26-2013, 07:47 PM
What compound, pad, and polisher are you using?

You say all the spots were removed except on the roof?

It seems that they may have etched into the clearcoat, which can be a bear to remove. I've had to use my rotary buffer with a wool pad, and Meguiars m105 to dig out some deep waterspots. I believe Ford has a medium /hard clearcoat, and may take more than one or two section passes to level the paint.

Have you determined what type of spots you have? Mike Phillips has an article on the types of spots, and common remedies.

Not sure about the types of spots, but did not use a wool pad so may be that will correct it. I use meg`s 105 as a compound with LC-CCS yellow pad.
Where I can find the article from Mike about the spots and remedies? here?

A heavy compound should take it out. Do you have a wool pad and a rotary?
I do have both and if the car still there tomorrow will def give it a try, thanks.

pikiki
12-26-2013, 07:56 PM
I found the thread and looks like the water spots are type II imo, not sure where the dealership parked this car before sold to a customer. Thank you for the advices really help me a lot.

ken tuep
12-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Yes, type 2 are bad. I had a BMW a few months back that required wool on a rotary to level the paint. Then a second step was necessary to further refine the paint.

Good luck to you, hopefully we've helped. :)

TundraPower
12-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Water spots can easily pass through the clear coat especially on soft paint. Use extreme caution in trying to level them.

pikiki
12-27-2013, 08:09 PM
A quick update on the water spots.
I grab my rotary with a wool pad and M105, try it but not removed them.
Then I wet sand start with 1500, then 2000 and for last 5000. Very smooth, then M105 and voila!!!! spot were gone.
Sorry for not post any picture but my old iPhone could not get a good picture that can show up the spots on the paint.
But thank you guys because my boss was impressed by the correction.