PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a glaze and a polish?

Pages : [1] 2

shagnat
12-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Need help about when to use a glaze or when to use a polish? Maybe I need both. I just don't quite get all of it yet. Feed back please

Quiksilver5882
12-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Think of glaze as a beauty product. You can use a glaze after polishing to fill minor defects.

MarkD51
12-26-2013, 06:31 PM
A true polish=Abrasives
A true Glaze, Fillers, no abrasives.

I once did a 92 Lincoln Town Car (Sand Metallic) with nothing more than Claying, 3M Perfect-It Glaze with the Milwaukee Rotary with Foam Waffle Pad, and then Collinite 476 Doublecoat by hand.

The car came out magnificent. Even the folks at the local Ford-Lincoln Dealership here were wowed. The finish was silky smooth, and looked like glass. It glowed like a gem.

I suspect even though the 3M Glaze had no abrasives, the rotary leveled the paint, removing above surface nasties, and hiding defects.

shagnat
12-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Meguiar's has a lot of glazes in the professional line, other name-brand products not so much. That brings in another set of confusion... *sigh*

FUNX650
12-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Meguiar's has a lot of glazes in the professional line,
other name-brand products not so much.
That brings in another set of confusion... *sigh*
Talk about "another set of confusion" (regarding/in the Meguiar's brand):

What if someone were to tell you that Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze was in fact a: "pure polish".

:eek:

Bob

MarkD51
12-26-2013, 08:19 PM

What if someone were to tell you that Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze was in fact a: "pure polish".

Bob

What about Meg's #9 Swirl Remover? Is that actually a true abrasive Polish, in the realm of like WG TSR? Or is it something else?
Hoping someone can enlighten me?
Mark

MarkD51
12-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Sorry if I'm somewhat answering my own questions, but looked at AG's description of Meg's #9. It says it contains no abrasives, yet "rounds scratches", so this leads me to believe #9 is actually a Glaze, not a true Polish?
Mark

shagnat
12-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Mark, you're fully understanding my dilemma. Maybe I should just leave Meguiar's out of the equation....... *sigh*

spiralout462
12-26-2013, 08:45 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/39020-word-definitions-compounds-polishes-glazes-paint-cleaners-waxes.html?highlight=word+definitions+Mike

swanicyouth
12-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry if I'm somewhat answering my own questions, but looked at AG's description of Meg's #9. It says it contains no abrasives, yet "rounds scratches", so this leads me to believe #9 is actually a Glaze, not a true Polish?

Mark

I think its an outdated product.

FUNX650
12-26-2013, 08:57 PM
What about Meg's #9 Swirl Remover?
Is that actually a true abrasive Polish, in the realm of like WG TSR?
Or is it something else?
Hoping someone can enlighten me?
Mark
To me: "Swirl Remover"---regardless of 'brand'...
denotes a product having a type of abrasives contained therein.

:)

Bob

shagnat
12-28-2013, 10:31 PM
To me: "Swirl Remover"---regardless of 'brand'...
denotes a product having a type of abrasives contained therein.

:)

Bob
Makes sense FUNX. Thanks for your input. :dblthumb2:

nebojsa
01-06-2014, 07:01 PM
so what is a really good glaze then?

arisking
01-06-2014, 07:22 PM
XMT Glaze is not a bad product, I enjoyed using it, just a little runny.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is more like a nano polish.

And the Menzerna Glaze is supposed to be good.

My vote would be Menzerna, even if I haven't used it.

Andr3wilson
01-06-2014, 07:46 PM

Bob

PERF

http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/2220649.jpg