PDA

View Full Version : DP Paint coating on wheels?

jamesalanb
12-26-2013, 01:20 PM
I've finally hit the point in my hobbyist detailing to know when to say when on buying and trying new products. I've bought a new car and am probably gonna hit it up with my DP Paint coating while I have a couple days off at new years. Now I know the team at DP (AG) manufactured individual coatings for paint, glass and wheels and each serve their primary purpose exceptionally well. As nothing more than an enthusiast that will never come close to using the abundance of products that I've already bought, I can't see spending another $40+ (maybe less with coupon) for a stand alone bottle of wheel coating, or $100 plus for a new all purpose coating product that I'll never use half of, much less the entirety. I understand that wheels suffer a completely different level of abuse than most paint surfaces due to heat, brake dust, and road conditions. Can the paint coating sufficiently perform on wheels if correctly applied and freshened or reapplied every year? Or am I just senile to think that the DP product can cross platforms and still achieve results? One thing I never want to do is sound cheap, but I just cant see buying another bottle to leave sitting on my shelf for the next decade that I try to use it. Does it sound like I am better off to use one of the paint sealants or waxes I already own? I keep my eyes on the trading threads but I really don't have a lot of designer stuff that seems to appeal to most. I know I'll prob bite the bullet and order more product, (like I'm sure most will recommend) but if I can use what I've got I'd definitely prefer to do so.

ryanbabz71
12-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Good question I have the same dilemma. Just got a new set of black rims

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/27/5eparaha.jpg

Ryan

PA DETAILER
12-26-2013, 04:04 PM
a paint coating will be fine for wheels.

Klasse Act
12-26-2013, 04:28 PM
I've used a variety of LSP's on my wheels with great success, your on the right track to use DPPC on your wheels. On black wheels take your time and clean them real good before applying it, you need as much help as you can get with those must have black wheels. My buddy and I talked about all these "specific" and came to the conclusion that maybe wheel coating is geared more for durability and has something infused into it to handle additional heat, who knows?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

jamesalanb
12-26-2013, 05:23 PM
I sure am glad I'm not the only one...

fry
12-26-2013, 06:27 PM
I used DP coating on my truck and did the wheels (wheels off, inside and out) in October, and it is holding up much better than I expected. I also used Tuf-Shin on the tires. When I finish washing with the 2 bucket method, I hit the tires & wheels with a boars hair brush and they look like the day I did them. Made washing soooo much easier and faster. You won't be disappointed.
Just as a FYI, I did mu wife's car with Black Label, did not see that much difference / improvement over DP coating.
Good luck.