PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Zaino user potentially switching over to Duragloss - Clarification please!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Toxix
12-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Not doing a Zaino vs DG thread, only looking for some clarification here.

So come Spring/Summer I'll be potentially be making the switch from Zaino to Duragloss.

I've had amazing results from Zaino and will definitely have a hard time giving up.
I've bought what I consider to be a "Starter Kit" from Duragloss with the help of Richy and RWright

Duragloss 901 Car Wash - Absolutely love this stuff, put away my Zaino Z7 wash once I started using it.
Duragloss Aquawax - Same shine as Zaino Z8, but doesn't last quite as long.
Duragloss 105 Total Performance Polish - Product in question
Duragloss 111 Clear Coat Polish - Product in question
Duragloss 501 Marine/RV Polish - For paint cleaning post correction
Duragloss 601 Polish Bonding Agent

I did some Forum searching between the DG111 and the DG105...and am starting to feel like I should not have gotten the DG111, can someone here help clarify?

Here's what I've seen in terms of feedback regarding the DG111 on this forum:
"105 is newer version and much better looking, 111 is the old style that was kinda plasticky looking like old Zaino."
"Get #105, its excellent looking. Durability is right there with full Zaino prep and Klasse SG."
"#105 is much more durable!!! #601 followed by #105 is a very durable combo!!!"

Is it one or the other with this?
I'm fine with using the Zaino multi-step procedure...example 3x coats of Z5 then 2x coats of Zaino Z2 and finally sealing it with Z8 + ZCS...

Long story short, any benefit of layering DG111 over DG105?
Or should I just DG105 by itself?
What are the outcomes of DG105 ONLY Vs DG105 + DG111?

FUNX650
12-26-2013, 03:19 PM
IMHO:
Since you started here:

I've bought what I consider to be a "Starter Kit" from Duragloss with the help of Richy and RWright

I'll suggest that you finish here:

with the help of Richy and RWright

Not going to allow myself to be caught-up in a "Bob vs. Richy and RWright" thread!

:)

Bob

StangFan25
12-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Toxix, as you mentioned, you've gotten excellent results from Zaino. I've seen your images on here and on AFM. Why did you decide to move from Zaino with those results you were getting?

FUNX650
12-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Toxix, as you mentioned, you've gotten excellent results from Zaino.
I've seen your images on here and on AFM.
Why did you decide to move from Zaino with those results you were getting?

"potentially switching over to Duragloss"...

That's the only message that I was able to deduced from Toxix' thread-starter title.
(Hope it winds-up being: something else though!!)

Not doing a Zaino vs DG thread

:D

Bob

Klasse Act
12-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Here's my .02 cents FWIW. DG #601 is a must have for whatever product you decide to go with, mixing it in @ 4:1 ratio not only makes the durability much better but also allows you to layer right away, something you've been used to with Zaino. Now as far as which product to go with, well DG #501 is a great cleaner that also protects as well, the amount of dirt that it can pull out of your paint after claying/prep toweling is amazing. DG #105 is a very good product, leaves the paint looking great, has less cleaners in it, a good all in one product IMO. Then there's DG #111 and here's the thing with it, ITS A PURE SEALANT, NO cleaners, so its the best product to apply over the top of either 105/601 or 501/601 combos.

My spring clean-up process this past season, after claying, was 1 coat of 105/601, then 2x's 105/601 and finally 3x's 111/601, car came out great and because its DG the product is VERY easy to apply and easier to remove! Using AW to maintain for the next couple monthes will make you very happy!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

davidc
12-26-2013, 05:43 PM
I picked up some 111. Tried a test spot approx. 2' x 2' on Twilight Metallic Blue and could not see any difference over 10 month old 601/105.It rained here the other day and beading was the same on both sides. I did not use any 601 during the test. My eye balls are 60 years old so maybe that is part of the equation but I will stay with the 601/105 unless I find that 111 has better UV protection. If 111 has that I would layer it over the 105. I was a long time Zaino user 12 + years and it appears that the 601/105 is right up there on the longevity chart wit ZFX and Z2. The vehicles get washed almost weekly with 932 and Aqua Waxed once in a while which probably increases the life of 105 or 501.

Dave

Klasse Act
12-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Seems the regular use of AW really helps you out but keep in mind that #111 is a pure sealant, so in theory it should last longer than 501 ever would. Also like Mike says, find something you like and use it often.

Toxix
12-27-2013, 01:22 PM
IMHO:
Since you started here:

I'll suggest that you finish here:

Not going to allow myself to be caught-up in a "Bob vs. Richy and RWright" thread!

:)

Bob

Heh, thanks...I've already PM'd em as well.
Hopefully the can chime in.

Toxix, as you mentioned, you've gotten excellent results from Zaino. I've seen your images on here and on AFM. Why did you decide to move from Zaino with those results you were getting?

I absolutely LOVE the results I got from Zaino.
I've been to a lot of shows locally and still came out to be the best looking Stang.
I enjoy everything that Zaino has to offer except for the Zaino ZCS (Clear Seal) - Switched over to Optiseal had better results and much better ease of use.

To add, Zaino can also get VERY expensive.
For example if you were to calculate a gallon of Zaino Z8 Grande Finale Spray Sealant and a gallon of Duragloss Aquawax, here are my numbers:
1x Gallon of Zaino Z8 - $225.52
1x Gallon of Aquawax - $35.59
Prices include shipping and taxes....

But the main reason of potentially making the switch?
I'm bored. Wanted to try out some new products.

"potentially switching over to Duragloss"...

That's the only message that I was able to deduced from Toxix' thread-starter title.
(Hope it winds-up being: something else though!!)

:D

Bob

Took me a minute to understand your message.
Was wondering if you were against the Duragloss or if you were just hoping I'd switch from Zaino, lol.

Good to see it was the latter.
Bob, I've read a lot of your posts over here and find them to be VERY informative and helpful, what are your thoughts on DG?
And afraid to ask, but your thoughts on Zaino as well?

Here's my .02 cents FWIW. DG #601 is a must have for whatever product you decide to go with, mixing it in @ 4:1 ratio not only makes the durability much better but also allows you to layer right away, something you've been used to with Zaino. Now as far as which product to go with, well DG #501 is a great cleaner that also protects as well, the amount of dirt that it can pull out of your paint after claying/prep toweling is amazing. DG #105 is a very good product, leaves the paint looking great, has less cleaners in it, a good all in one product IMO. Then there's DG #111 and here's the thing with it, ITS A PURE SEALANT, NO cleaners, so its the best product to apply over the top of either 105/601 or 501/601 combos.

My spring clean-up process this past season, after claying, was 1 coat of 105/601, then 2x's 105/601 and finally 3x's 111/601, car came out great and because its DG the product is VERY easy to apply and easier to remove! Using AW to maintain for the next couple monthes will make you very happy!

This^^
Perfect, exactly what I needed to know.
Seems like DG 105 is a Zaino Z5 and DG 111 is a Zaino Z2 with it being a pure sealant with no cleaning/correction ability.
I'll take your advice on this, thanks very much.
This gives me some serious peace of mind.
Looking forward to trying #111

I picked up some 111. Tried a test spot approx. 2' x 2' on Twilight Metallic Blue and could not see any difference over 10 month old 601/105.It rained here the other day and beading was the same on both sides. I did not use any 601 during the test. My eye balls are 60 years old so maybe that is part of the equation but I will stay with the 601/105 unless I find that 111 has better UV protection. If 111 has that I would layer it over the 105. I was a long time Zaino user 12 + years and it appears that the 601/105 is right up there on the longevity chart wit ZFX and Z2. The vehicles get washed almost weekly with 932 and Aqua Waxed once in a while which probably increases the life of 105 or 501.

Dave

Dave, thanks a lot. A bit more peace of mind as well.

Seems the regular use of AW really helps you out but keep in mind that #111 is a pure sealant, so in theory it should last longer than 501 ever would. Also like Mike says, find something you like and use it often.

Thanks!
I've already picked up a few bottles and a gallon of Aquawax, love it.

Toxix
12-27-2013, 01:23 PM
After using DG#111 should I be sealing with Optiseal?
Or is that a bit too much in terms of overkill?
I'd hate to see a bottle of Optiseal go to waste...

Hoytman
12-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Read Autogeek's descriptions of each product below and take note of how long each product is said to last...

Duragloss Clear Coat Polish (CCP) #111 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-clear-coat-polish.html)

Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) # 105 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-total-performance-polish.html)

...then tell me which is supposed to last the longest.

I'm only going by the pages of AG's description, but it's quite clear to me which is the winner in longevity according to those descriptions...DG105.

Toxix
12-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Read Autogeek's descriptions of each product below and take note of how long each product is said to last...

Duragloss Clear Coat Polish (CCP) #111 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-clear-coat-polish.html)

Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) # 105 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-total-performance-polish.html)

...then tell me which is supposed to last the longest.

I'm only going by the pages of AG's description, but it's quite clear to me which is the winner in longevity according to those descriptions...DG105.

Thanks for response but one thing I learned from the gents here is to not go with what it says on the label or the sale page...
From what I've also read all the info on the DG boxes/DG website are quite out of line calling everything a polish, etc etc.
Same thing like Zaino did.

Hoytman
12-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for response but one thing I learned from the gents here is to not go with what it says on the label or the sale page...
From what I've also read all the info on the DG boxes/DG website are quite out of line calling everything a polish, etc etc.
Same thing like Zaino did.

What I've observed from AG's descriptions; AG goes to great lengths to state whether or not a product has chemical cleaners and/or abrasives in their products. AG staff, especially Mike Phillips, is well aware that many labels on many different products use terms that are not regulated by the industry and therefore can be misleading to 'Joe Consumer'. \

While there is much truth in what you say, and what you have learned, AG staff takes this into account and that is why on many, if not all, the products that AG carries you'll find a very thorough description. While the product label may not tell you exactly if the product contains abrasives, or chemical cleaners, AG usually does a very good job in their descriptions.

slimnib
12-27-2013, 02:33 PM

I am not an expert and I really do not have any strong opinion regarding any product line. Most of the time I can see no difference between them.
However, it does seem to me that any product that requires several applications to either look good or last long is not doing its job and likely not worth the money your are paying for it.

Why two or three coats of anything? The whole process just seems nuts to me.

Happy New Year to all.

StangFan25
12-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Heh, thanks...I've already PM'd em as well.
Hopefully the can chime in.

I absolutely LOVE the results I got from Zaino.
I've been to a lot of shows locally and still came out to be the best looking Stang.
I enjoy everything that Zaino has to offer except for the Zaino ZCS (Clear Seal) - Switched over to Optiseal had better results and much better ease of use.

To add, Zaino can also get VERY expensive.
For example if you were to calculate a gallon of Zaino Z8 Grande Finale Spray Sealant and a gallon of Duragloss Aquawax, here are my numbers:
1x Gallon of Zaino Z8 - $225.52
1x Gallon of Aquawax - $35.59
Prices include shipping and taxes....

But the main reason of potentially making the switch?
I'm bored. Wanted to try out some new products.

That's fair.

I've used all of the Zaino products on my Mustangs, so I completely understand your concern with cost. That was the main reason I ventured here. I didn't like having to wait hours to layer Z2/Z5, unless I spent more money and got ZFX. In my opinion the products should have ZFX in them already.

I agree Z-CS isnt the best. That's another reason I came here. I now prefer coatings and Pinnacle Souveran. In my opinion, Z2 and Z5 can't be beat. I will continue to use Z6 and maybe Z8. Great products.

I understand your reasoning. I also understand the want to try something different. That's why this hobby is so fun!

Sorry I can't add to your Duragloss inquiry. Good luck. I look forward to seeing your results and comparisons to Zaino!

richy
12-27-2013, 03:03 PM
I used to use Zaino a long, long time ago. I then switched to DG based on the recommendations of Sparkie and AL-53 from this site. I have never looked back. Why?

1) Ease of use. The obsession over layering was not my style. I wanted a quality product that would last AND be easy (ie one coat) to use.

2) Cost. You already touched on that. DG makes an under-priced product. Period. They could easily sell their products for much, much more but the Bailey brothers are good Christian men who don't desire to get stinking rich selling products.

3) Durability. Once the paint is perfected, I like to do a 501 cleaning stage. Is it necessary? Well, I think so and so will you if you use a white pad and see what it looks like after a panel or two. I follow that up with 105. (I'll compare 105 and 111 for you in a minute). I had started to get into the practice of topping 105 with Colli 845 when I was doing cars for a funeral home. That bullet proof 3 step combo was giving them a year of protection on cars that were being washed almost daily. If I was in Florida or a state not seeing snow and salt, I would not do the 845 step. The 105 will easily be enough there.
Edit: I will add one caveat here: I do like the combo of the Collinite wax (even though it is a strong synthetic wax) and sealant to give a "best of both worlds" kind of protection.

4) Looks. Again, this is where using the paint cleaning stage of 501 is so advantageous. Both 105 and 111 look great IMO. AW also enhances the gloss and also seems to make metallics jump too.

Now, as far as comparing 111 to 105 goes, I prefer 105 myself. 111 to me was harder to remove and did not look any better than 105. I ended up giving my bottle of 111 to a friend. I bought a gallon of 105 for myself. There may be a difference in looks. I didn't see it but then again every paint is different. Try both if you want. It's a small investment and then you can be sure of what looks the best on your car(s). 105 is also cheaper too FWIW.

The DG line works. Every product from them is great and some are simply amazing. The cost is low for what you get. You will get differing opinions from a lot of people on everything around here. So, really, what you need to do is try the product(s) that you are interested in and use what you like. Don't feel guilty that you didn't need to spend 6 hours layering a top coat sealant. You honestly don't have to. My suggestion is 501 and then 105 or 111 followed periodically with AW. Done. Now, take all that spare time and perfect your wheels, wells, plastic and interior to make the rest of the car look as good as the outside!

Hope that helped.