PDA

View Full Version : Hard Clear Coat on Infinity M35

74 thing
12-26-2013, 01:11 AM
I was working on a blue metallic 2006 Infinity M35. Really bad swirls throughout from a life of gas station car washes. Under the hood was the sticker indicating hard clear coat.

I did not think much of it since in the past all Infinities I have touched had pretty soft paint, but I tried the PC with Megs 105 and 101 with microfiber and heavy cutting pads and it barely made a dent (comparable to taking a final polish to a heavily swirled vehicle). I then took out the rotary and a heavy cut foam pad with Meg 101 and still it was very slow going (some progress but nothing I was happy with). I wish I had my Lake Country purple foam pads to try.

Has anyone experienced this type of paint and what was your final product selection and technique?

Thanks in advance.

Pureshine
12-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Has it been repainted?

74 thing
12-26-2013, 01:42 AM
No, original owner and original paint.

This is the hardest paint I ever worked in and could not get a system dialed in on what would work.

I feel defeated... and tired!

Mike Phillips
12-26-2013, 07:05 AM
I then took out the rotary and a heavy cut foam pad with Meg 101 and still it was very slow going (some progress but nothing I was happy with).

If M101 and a foam cutting pad on a rotary buffer are not removing car wash swirls and scratches fast enough I'd jump right to a wool cutting pad to at least do a little testing.

I don't understand why a car company would put a car on the market with a paint job that is so hard that the customer cannot work on it.

The product's you've listed and tried also mean detailers at an Infinity dealership would not "easily" work on it either and in most cases our forum members are more knowledge and better equipped to work on hi-tech paints systems than dealerships are.

We talk about hard paints and soft paints and what I wrote in my how-to book is the perfect paint system is somewhere in-between, not too hard that the average do-it-yourselfer can't work on it and not too soft that the paint scratches just from wiping it with a microfiber towel.

The perfect paint system is somewhere in-between these two extremes.

:dunno: