PDA

View Full Version : What to add???

KJW Detailing
12-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Each winter, I look to add something new to my product/tool list. I'm only moving into year three. Last year, I became an authorized installer of Optimums Coatings. I'm not sure I can top that, but introducing new products or tools are key in remaining ahead of the competition. Below are times I'm considering, also keep in mind that I'm mobile and work out of the trunk of my Altima or Optima.

1. Currenty using Pinnacle Clay Bars, but I'm considering bring on an Autoscrub Towel.

2. I'd like to replace Meg's 105 with Menz PG 1000 or FG400.

3. I currently use LC CCS Pads 5.5" on both my DA and rotary. I live there ability and durability, but I'm also thinking of replacing with a full lineup of microfiber pads (although I'm not sure of which brand and there durability.)

4. Considering a Paint Thickness Gauge.

5. Possibly a Bissell Little Green or SpotCleanAuto Extractor (I'd love a Mytee, but I do more exterior work than interior and the size is just to big for a small mobile vehicle.)

6. I currently use the Daytona Speed Master Brushes, but I'm thinking of replacing with the Wheel Woolies Kit.

7. Tire Shine...I use Blackfires and I love it, but it's expensive and I'm considering a change to Meg's or Optimum. (Although WG Black Diamond Tire Gel is on Bogo and only $50 for 254 oz.

If you have any suggestions on what I'm thinking above, or something I may have overlooked, please comment!

Thanks, Kieran

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-25-2013, 11:27 PM
1. The towel will speed up decontamination. Faster results = More Money Per Hour.

2. Why not use M105 and FG400? Have both in your arsenal and select the best compound for the paint on hand.

3. Same goes with polishes, why not carry a couple microfiber pads with you and try them out on different types of paint to see what works better for you.

4. Yes!!!!

5. These are a good bang for your buck but don't speed up the detailing process (at least for me, they actually slowed down my interior process). I bought a dupray tosca steam cleaner and PC interior brushes. Shampoo carpets and seats, hit it with the PC brush, steam with the carpet attachment and dry with a microfiber or terry cloth towel. Saves time, saves your energy and puts down a lot of less water.

6. I switched to the wheel woolies and they are great, but the daytona's also have their occasional use. The wheel woolies don't sling and splatter break dust all over you.

7. I think you'd be just as happy with a less expensive tire dressing and your customers probably won't know the difference. The great things about megs is that it's dilatable for your desired level of shine.

hernandez.art13
12-26-2013, 12:29 AM
1) I just used the Speedy Prep towel before polishing the BMW today, it is a great tool to have.

2) I have both 105 and 400. I don't see why not have both?

3) I bough both the 5.5 and 6.5 inch buff N shine pads from CarPro. I also have the blue wool hybrid pads. I like to take those when I use my Rupes at the body shop. I also have the foam pads.

I am not sure how accurate this description is but I heard Larry from AMMO say that he uses MF Pads for Cut and Foam for polish in one of his video. (Not trying to quote him, you can go search the video, it's one of his more recent ones)

4) After Polishing off the Holograms I used my PTG to see how much I removed. I really like having one and it can set you apart from the guy that just shows up with a Rotary and a wool pad and starts buffing.

5) I don't have a comment

6) maybe not necessarily replace but maybe just add it to your arsenal? I really like the Carrand brush that has 3 bendable parts. It really lets you get into the small cracks and crevices.

7) I have used only a few tire gels, I used some Wolfgang, Eco, Meguiar's Detailers tire and trim. While they all work great I just settled with Meguiar's High Endurance gel, I apply it with the Carrand tire applicator brush. It cost me $10

If something cost a lot of money and is worth paying for it, then I'll gladly pay it. I have been looking at the Optimum line, but for now my tires get Meg's High Endurance. If I want more shine I then just apply two coats. It'll give it extra shine and buy the next day it will have a deep dark finish.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. However, I am just trying to help

Good luck,

Art

KJW Detailing
12-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Thanks Scott and Art!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean I would throw things away, just use in conjunction. Tools and products to expensive to just throw away. As far as the extractor, I was considering for the use on mats and spots only (not sure a small unit like those I listed would make sense on a full sized vehicles interior. I'd love a steam cleaner and looked at the one your using Scott, but way outta budget right now.

Pureshine
12-26-2013, 12:58 AM
I would get Nanoskin mitt love it.
FG400
I have both wheel woolies and Daytona wouldn't be with out ether.
I would look in too the new dirt devil machine.

ycdriveclean
12-26-2013, 01:49 AM
:iagree:
The nanoskin products are an excellent choice!

Radarryan
12-26-2013, 02:57 AM
Towels and bars that you can drop and reuse (like Nanoskin, Autoscrub, etc.) are the way of the future. If you have a lot of volume it may be a wise investment.
Go with FG400 over PG1000 - it has more cut and finishes better. PG1000 can be hard to use (it has a steep learning curve) before you can get the most out of it. FG400 is pretty much at the top of the heap. It sets the standard for the industry. One thing to note, however, is M105 is SMAT and FG400 is DAT.
From what I've heard, the Buff and Shine Microfiber have excellent durablity, cut, and decent finish. Meguiar's is the next brand that comes to mind.
Cannot comment (no experience).
When considering Mytee, remember the recent thread regarding their customer service (or should I say lack therof).
Daytona Speed Master Brushes are great for bending, but just be warned that they are much messier. When you pull back-and-forth, they get splatter all over you. For that reason, I purchased a set of Wheel Woolies and use them for the barrel, only using the Speedmaster brushes for behind the spokes. They both have their place in your arsenol, but I, personally, prefer Wheel Woolies.
It is highly subjective, but the two that I use are CarPro PERL and Optimum Opti-Bond. I find both to be good, though I perfer the look of PERL. There are ample reviews on all of them, and you can see which one fits your eye, though the WG on BOGO may be too good of a deal to pass up...

Hope this helps. Happy detailing!

KJW Detailing
12-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks to everyone for the insight.

First of all, today I ordered the WG Black Diamond Tire Gel. Simply couldn't pass up on the BOGO of 128oz. For $49.99.

I will be placing another order after the first of the new year. I do plan to include most of the items spoke of above...

Menzerna FG400, Wheel Woolies 3 Piece Kit, and the NanoSkin Autoscrub Towel.

I'm also going to purchase the IronX Snow Foam Formula and use periodically on maintenance washes of Opti Coated vehicles. I've begun to look into the HighLineMeter Paint Thickness Gauge.

Finally, I'm going to move away from the extractor and instead I'm considering the Vapamore MR-100 Primo Steam Cleaner. I think this would be an excellent purchase for both my detailing business and home.

The combination of these items, should make for an excellent start to year three for KJW Detailing.