PDA

View Full Version : Cat Problems!!!

pmg
12-25-2013, 03:00 PM
I live in complex where I have underground parking. One of my awesome neighbors feeds the stray cats in our neighborhood so there are about four cats that always hang out and jump on the warm cars. I bought boundary spray but that didn't work. My last resort may be to call Feral Cat Coalition and have them trap, spay or neuter, and re release(different area). Does anyone know of a humane way to keep the cats off my car.

milky
12-25-2013, 03:19 PM
None that I can think of really, there's been suggestions of lemon peels but they hardly work for me (and unsustainable). The cats over here seem to really *love* newly polished & sealed surfaces and for the hours of effort, really drives me nuts.

In as much as I love our vehicles and want to keep them pristine, a lot of the suggestions I find about keeping cats away are really appalling and sad. I just place some bath towels on the horizontal panels of the car and just breathe a little. And yes, I have several deep claw marks that bug me a lot but the car is only temporary :)

swanicyouth
12-25-2013, 03:22 PM
1. Car cover - mar city and the cats may pee on it.

2. Motion detector alarm - "Step away from the vehicle" ... 1980s horrible.

3. Deterrent spray - smells like bum urine

4. Electric force field - too costly and you may fry your ECM.

5. Letting a homeless person live in your car and beep the horn when he sees a cat - too messy. I'd rather have the cats.

Bottomless line: you gotta find another place to park. Even if they likely do collect the feral cats, they won't get them all and more will return. You could ask yr neighbor to stop feeding them - good luck there.

I love cats - but not sitting on my car.

Only other idea I could come up with is get one of those "sonic repellent" ultra high pitched noise maker thingies that humans can't hear. Rig it up to work on 12v and leave it running in your car and pray it won't kill the battery. Or plug it in an outlet close by someplace nobody will see.

Coopers ST
12-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Upside down duct tape. I would also look into your local laws. Here it is against the law to feed stray animals. The police aren't going around looking for it, but have read the reports in the paper were if someone calls them in they will ticket. It may take just a visit from your local friendly law enforcement to put a end to it, along with your cat collection would stop, the return of new ones, and remove the ones who already know to come.

Just02896
12-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Try putting a big mean looking dog stuffed animal in your drivers seat! Lol

KillaCam
12-25-2013, 04:10 PM
I have the same problem myself. It's highly annoying.

Finemess
12-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Cat Repellent & Cat Deterrent | PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2768983)

HateSwirls
12-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Take an aluminum cake pan, very light.
Tie it to your antenna of your car, for some reasn they don't trust it.
It worked but in time they weren't scared of it anymore.
Some say a rubber snake works too.

Hazcat
12-25-2013, 04:34 PM
The animal shelter should have live traps you can borrow. You stick a can of cat food in it and it shuts when they go in then you drop the stray cats off at the shelter. It may take a few trips depending on how many cats there are but it's effective and humane.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Scat Mat and it's battery powered.

Amazon.com: Battery Operated Scat Mat Lrg 48x20 In: Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Operated-Scat-Mat-48x20/dp/B0007NTBJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388007268&sr=8-1&keywords=scat+mat)

oldmodman
12-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Car Capsule.

It not only keeps your car clean and dry. But it prevents rodent damage.

Plus, of course, cats can no longer sit on your car.

JKL1031
12-26-2013, 01:40 AM
Leave the hood up if your not worried? :- /

This would block off anything more than your front bumper and front fenders and possibly discourage them from jumping up.