PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Autogeek Team!

Pages : [1] 2

Just02896
12-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Sorry if this post is not in the correct area! Just figured I'd toss it in where the majority tend to be viewing so as to hear as much feedback as possible.

Not sure if this product already exists or not but, How about a shampoo that chemically but safetly neutralizes the corrosive nature of road salts and Ice treatments? I for one would probably use this type of auto wash year round! Something that works by hand as well as in a foam cannon would be great!

I usually mix a quarter cup of baking soda into my wash solution each time I wash during the winters but am wondering if there exists the possibility of a dedicated car wash soap being developed.

Just02896
12-24-2013, 08:46 PM
C'Mon, where are all the folks in the NE?

PA DETAILER
12-24-2013, 08:48 PM
PA could use it. but then again it would be too cold out to wash!!

swanicyouth
12-24-2013, 08:51 PM
I usually mix a quarter cup of baking soda into my wash solution each time I wash during the winters but am wondering if there exists the possibility of a dedicated car wash soap being developed.

Im in the NE and hate the salt as well. What does baking soda do? Baking soda is basic and neutralizes acids.

aim4squirrels
12-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Im in the NE and hate the salt as well. What does baking soda do? Baking soda is basic and neutralizes acids.

Curious too, it would seem adding more sodium to the mix would not be beneficial?

Just02896
12-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Adding the baking soda was just a trick that I heard about a long time ago. Not sure if it really works or not but it never did any harm either. By nature baking soda can be abrasive so I don't ever scrub the paint with it. I've only ever done a rinse down with the solution or added it to a foam gun mixture and rinsed afterwards.

ScottB
12-24-2013, 10:15 PM
I seem to remember that Finishkare offers a soap that neutralizes acids and part of a three step deep cleaning. Not sure of any that can neutralize the effects of winter ....

Romans5.8
12-24-2013, 10:23 PM
So here's my question (dumb question)? Why do you need a soap that neutralizes the salt? Wouldn't removing the salt from the paint (when washing) accomplish the same goal of preventing damage to the paint? (In addition, of course, the sacrificial barrier of coating/wax/sealant)?

WAXOFF
12-24-2013, 10:26 PM
How about this?

Eastwood Road Salt Neutralizer Gallon (http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-road-salt-neutralizer-gallon.html)

kochdalton87
12-24-2013, 11:49 PM
How about this?

Eastwood Road Salt Neutralizer Gallon (http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-road-salt-neutralizer-gallon.html)

Interesting. Does anybody here have any experience with this product or is it a hoax?

Just02896
12-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Interesting. Does anybody here have any experience with this product or is it a hoax?

I might give it a try. There are a few different liquid products out there that claim to have salt neutralizing abilities but I'd like to see an all-in-one salt neutralizer / shampoo!

swanicyouth
12-25-2013, 08:36 AM
I live like 5 mins from the Eastwood company. Maybe I'll check that stuff out.

swanicyouth
12-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Second thought, maybe not:

During the winter months, vehicles are blasted by road salt, brine & ice melt causing metal parts and body panels to rust and corrode. Eastwoods Road Salt Neutralizer is a blend of inorganic acids, corrosion inhibitors and penetrants that neutralize the corrosive film left behind from salt & ice melters without harming painted or finished surfaces. To use simply mix 6 oz of Eastwood Road Salt Neutralizer with 1 gallon of warm water, spray or sponge on the solution and five minutes later hose off. One gallon of concentrate makes more than 21 gallons of Neutralizer. Ideal for any metal substrate exposed to road salt.

Acids? Not for me.

GenesisCoupe
12-25-2013, 08:41 AM
I know there is a product (and i'm not sure of the name or where i saw it) but when going to the coin-op, you spray the solution on the car, and simply high pressure rinse it off, and it removed a majority of road salt/dirt without having to touch the car. My assumption is that it also removes any LSP that is on the vehicle due to the strength. Anyone know what product i'm talking about?

swanicyouth
12-25-2013, 08:43 AM
I think my coin-op uses Simple Green at some dilution for heavy wash. I think they call it "degreaser".