PDA

View Full Version : Build a Detail Kit!

Pages : [1] 2

TylerHoffarth
12-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Hey everyone,

So I recently purchased a 2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, in Imola Red color. My girlfriend owns a 1997 BMW 318IS, in Hellrot Red.

This has brought me to want to purchase everything I need to complete a full exterior detail. So here is what I ask of you:

Without breaking the bank significantly, if you could 'build' a detail kit that would work well specifically with red vehicles, what would your kit consist of? I'm looking at waxes, buffers/orbitals & pads, polish, etc, etc.

I'm using this as a basis for purchasing everything I would need to get a good detail done! We want to do both of our vehicles, and want to get rid of all the swirl marks in the paint, as well as make them look rich, deep and glossy.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Harry Da Hamster
12-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Ultima Waterless Wash Plus (Rinseless wash)

Optimum Car Wash (Traditional wash)

Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner

Harbor freight polisher

Buff and Shine 5" DA backing pad

Buff and Shine 5" foam polishing and finishing pads

Meguairs M101 Compound

Meguiars M205 Polish

Isopropyl alcohol mixed to 15% to remove polish residue

Ultima Paint Guard Plus

Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus

Costco or Sams Club Microfiber Towels

pikiki
12-23-2013, 10:36 PM
My suggestion will be the GG6" Wolfgang duo kit, it come with 3 pads, a swirl remover, a finishing glaze and 2 microfibers. A wax can be anything that you may prefer like Megs ultimate or Gold class as an example. Also a great All in one product for polish I will recommend to you Black Fire Polish and seal.

TylerHoffarth
12-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Appreciating the feedback.

I'm definitely looking into both suggestions. That kit sounds tempting as you get most of what you need for the most part; not sure what I would use for wax and polish yet (I've read great things on 101 & 205, though)

Thanks again!

TylerHoffarth
12-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Also, I am assuming that I would use a polish (Such as 205), and then a carnauba wax - I want the best possible results that I can get.

Here are four(4) that just caught my eye when browsing... what are your thoughts on these? Any suggestions for other great ones for red cars?:

1) Pinnacle Souveran Paste Carnauba Wax is Brilliant on Red- Awesome on Black! Souvern is hand poured, one container at a time, and boxed with an (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html)

2) BLACKFIRE Wet Ice Over Fire Kit, car wax kit (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-ice-over-fire-wax-kit.html)

3) Dodo Juice Banana Armour Hard Car Wax, carnauba car wax, dodo juice waxes, carnauba paste wax, yellow wax, banana car wax, (http://www.autogeek.net/banana-hard-car-wax.html)

4) Dodo Juice Orange Crush Soft Wax, carnauba car wax, dodojuice waxes, wax for warm colors, wax for red cars, orange car wax (http://www.autogeek.net/orange-soft-carnauba-wax.html)

Thanks again everyone

TylerHoffarth
12-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Can't edit my responses for some reason, so I'll just add this in.

I believe I will go with the Wolfgang kit as Pikki suggested, just as it has everything needed to get going.

I was thinking of the Wolfgang duo kit, plus this kit for the wax, sealant, and pre-wax:

Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Wax Mini Connoisseur's Kit, Wolfgang Mini Wax Kit, Fuzion Wax Sample Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-wax-mini-kit.html)

Think that the above will yield professional-like results with proper application? As in, what are the products included in that kit like? (entry level, highly recommended, etc) One thing I noticed is that the included sealant (Deep Gloss Spritz) is a spray sealant... for this specifically, will it yield excellent results in comparison to a different type of polish/sealant?

The Critic
12-24-2013, 01:49 AM
At the end of the day, your paint's appearance is going to be dependent upon the preparation, not the final LSP. I would not spend so much $$ on the wax or sealant.

Starting over, here's what I would get. And take this from someone who has wasted a lot of $$$ over the years.

Rupes 21
Rupes 5" backing plate
Meguiars MF Cutting Discs
Meguiars MF Finishing Discs
LC Hydrotech Cyan Pads
LC Hydrotech Tangerine Pads
Menzerna FG400
Sonax Perfect Finish
Meguiars Hyper Wash
Meguairs D140 Wheel Brightener
3-pc Wheel Woolies Kit
Nanoskin Med Grade Wash Mitt
ONR gallon, no wax version.
CarPro Iron-X Spray
CarPro PERL
CarPro Reload
Sonax Polymer Net Shield
Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer

Of course, this is assuming that you already have high quality mitts, grit-guards and towels.

TylerHoffarth
12-24-2013, 02:06 AM
I took a look over your list there, and it seems quite nice to be honest. I'm a little wary about spending $400 on an orbital, though. Otherwise that is a great list.

I generally like sticking to a limited amount of brands, but again, I am looking for a great job. Don't exactly want to break the bank, either, but you get the point there

The Critic
12-24-2013, 02:09 AM
I took a look over your list there, and it seems quite nice to be honest. I'm a little wary about spending $400 on an orbital, though. Otherwise that is a great list.

I generally like sticking to a limited amount of brands, but again, I am looking for a great job. Don't exactly want to break the bank, either, but you get the point there

Each brand makes some great products, decent products and so-so products. Purposely limiting yourself to a few brands can keep you from being exposed to some of the greatest products for each category.

All of the products that I suggested, IMO, are generally accepted to be the best in their segment.

If you're hesitant about spending $400 on a Rupes, then consider getting a used Flex 3401 and the 4 3/8" backing plate. If you look hard enough, you can probably find one for around $200.

HateSwirls
12-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Chemical Guys Mr.Pink car soap.
Clay
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish.
Meguiar's NXT Wax
Chemical Guys Super VRP dressing for the tires and trim.
If money left over buy you the Griot's 6" Buffer and pads.
Buy you a 5" backing plate along with some 5.5" pads.

If money is tight get you the Harbor Frieght Duel Action Buffer and buy the same plate I said.
The HF is powerful and a great tool to learn with, it's really just the backing plate that sucks that it comes with.

You could always get the Griot's buffer later and set your HF DA to use 4" pads , not to mention you'd have a good backup buffer. :dblthumb2:

Btw. The Griot's buffer comes with a lifetime warranty.

bsmith0404
12-24-2013, 08:40 AM
All are good suggestions. Only thing I will add, Pinnacle Souveran was designed specifically for red, black, and yellow cars. I love the look it produces on red, but you will get great results with the other products mentioned as well.

dcjredline
12-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Yep, the Meguiars line wont steer you wrong and in an "emergency" most of them can be had locally.

Rockeey
12-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Clay
Meguiar's NXT Wax

If money is tight get you the Harbor Frieght Duel Action Buffer and buy the same plate I said.
The HF is powerful and a great tool to learn with, it's really just the backing plate that sucks that it comes with.

You could always get the Griot's buffer later and set your HF DA to use 4" pads , not to mention you'd have a good backup buffer. :dblthumb2:

X2 on this.

You can get excellent results with these products and they are relatively inexpensive in relation to many other equally effective products.

Learning good technique with the buffer is what will get you what you are looking for. If you don't have that, it doesn't really matter what products you use.

Jaretr1
12-24-2013, 10:42 AM
It is so hard to answer these questions as everyone has different opinions of different products.

If you are not experienced I would actually stay away from Megs 105 as it is a little finicky to use (although it does a terrific job). So many other polishes or swirl removers will offer great results and are much easier to use (like Pinnacle or Wolfgang for example).

AG has a lot of great kits that will bundle most everything you need at great values.

Pinnacle Souveran will give amazing results on red, but it does not have the greatest durability. Keep that in mind.

stilltipping3
12-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Clay
Meguiar's NXT Wax

This is the best bang for ur buck or close to it!!
The soap can be used as lube. The VRP is also Multi use.
Megs Glass cleaner D120 Blue stuff is a good as well. Super Concentrated!