PDA

View Full Version : BL Coating Process

AudiFL
12-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Hi Mike,

I just picked up this past weekend my new 2014 Phantom Black Audi A4. The car was not "washed" by my dealer as I told them so. I'm planning to follow your "how to detail your brand new car" article and then coat it with BL surface coating. However, if I'm not mistaken you created and article where you show a detailed application process. I have searched the forum but I was unable to located.

Would you please point me to the correct article?

Thanks,
Edgar

AaronC
12-23-2013, 09:27 AM
I think this is the one you need. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

AudiFL
12-23-2013, 09:45 AM
I think this is the one you need. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

Thanks Aaron for the link. I have that one already :xyxthumbs:, however, the one I'm looking for is one where Mike shows the application of the BL coat.

RobertJ34
12-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Is this maybe what you are looking for?

Black Label Diamond Coating Application Guide (http://www.autogeek.net/diamond-coating-application-guide.html)

AudiFL
12-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Is this maybe what you are looking for?

Black Label Diamond Coating Application Guide (http://www.autogeek.net/diamond-coating-application-guide.html)

Thanks Robert. This is pretty close to the one I was looking for. :xyxthumbs:

Tato
12-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi,

I know that Mike Phillips topics may be a lot better than mine explanations here, but I can tell you how I apply BLSC so you can add and mix opinions to later try on your own.

To start, I would recommend for you to wash your car with very mild soap, and gentle touch to avoid inputing swirls and scratches. Rinse well and dry.

Then it's good for you to clay the surface with a very soft clay, or any Autoscrub FINE grade will do it.

After Washing and claying, you should use your favorite surface cleansing polish. I do use PBL Cleansing Polish, but DP Coating Prep polish work as well.

For gentle and new finishes, I like to use CCS GREEN pads, they have some pick but are also gentle to the paint. For more polishing power, I would go for a white CCS or flat pad.

If you work PBL Polish by machine, it's almost certain you'll have some dusting. I also recommend you to tape trim you don't want to mess because PBL polish may be difficult to remove if dried on trim. After using PBL Polish by machine, I re-wash the vehicle, now with a very diluted soap on a foam cannon, and rinse with pressure water, without even touching the vehicle (just to dry). I re-wash to get rid of polish Dust, because after coating you'll have to avoid water at least for 12 hours, and having a clean, coated and beautiful Dusted Vehicle is not my intention.

After carefully drying, you'll go for coating application.

Points to observe:

- Take your coating applicator (Foam) and try to feel how it 'feels' on the paint. You'll notice it cannot 'move freely' over the paint, it will be somewhat 'rugged'.

Getting this feeling is the key point to note when you start applying the coating. You will FEEL the area you've applied, and confirm EVEN application when you can feel the FOAM (now) moving freely over the coated paint.

Take care if you spray the coating product close to where it was previously applied. You have to remove 'over sprays' because it'll soon dry to 'high spots'. Not to worry very much because you can deal with those spots, but pay attention to overspray.

1) Start 'priming' the applicator with one spray of the coating.

2) Try to use 1 spray per area, just like a roof would be 4 areas or even more. A Hood would be 4 or more areas as well... Work by small parts to guarantee even and perfect coverage.

3) Spray the coating to the panel, and IMMEDIATELY rapidly spread it front to back (or side to side) to cover the entire are you planned for that spray. Cover all 4 corners of your area and then move covering the center.

4) After just spreading the coating over the sprayed section, you will make 2 or 3 PASSES with moderate to rapid circular motions and medium pressure (if you feel it's needed) on the applicator. Work the entire area with those circular motions. While you 'work' the coating on the surface, you'll feel it's feeling slick. Take this moment to spread the coating evenly on corners.

5) Move on to the next area, and keep going.

6) After you finish an entire panel (a Hood, a Roof, both doors of a side, etc), take a soft MF towel and make just like the Mike Phillips's Technique 'THE FINAL WIPE'. That consists of a very slow pass with the MF over the surface. Pass the MF over the entire surface, and again, you'll FEEL when there's some high spot with your hand over the towel. Press the towel down a little to even the high spot, generally 1-2 passes over that area solves it.

7) After applying the entire vehicle, avoid moisture for at least 12 hours. I would wait 24 hours before applying a Carnauba Wax if I wish to.

8) Enjoy your beautiful and protected surface. After washing a coated vehicle, you'll never more want to wash a 'common' car.

Basically it's SPRAY, SPREAD, WORK it and finally buff high spots with a MF towel.

If there's any doubt, if you want to discuss my means, please, feel free to contact me. Also, come back after applying to tell about your experience.

Hope I've Helped.

Kind Regards.