PDA

View Full Version : Critique my pricing system!

Pages : [1] 2

Andrew H
12-22-2013, 03:51 AM
I've been doing auto detailing since early high school for work, because as a perfectionist and car enthusiast I love the work. I have a decently sized clientele and I primarily work on higher-end vehicles. I am now college student and decided to establish myself legitimately, as this has been my income for some time. I originally planned to go to nursing school, but I've had a passion for this for a long time and I enjoy every minute of work I put into my client's vehicles. I've changed my major to Business Administration and am pursuing my dream how I feel is the right way. I've come up with a pricing system as I used to give estimates different for each vehicle depending on the work. I did research on here & based the prices off of the average of my general charges and spent some time on it, but I'd appreciate some feedback on the pricing system.

Made a Facebook page to have a designated place for clients to refer to for anything, would also appreciate opinions on this as well. Feel free to help a college student out and throw me a like. :)
https://www.facebook.com/AttentionToDetailAtlanta

Anyways, here is the current pricing scale :

Attention To Detail is all about restoring your car to like-new condition. There are several options, all depending on what your car specifically. Anything from a wash + wax to full paint corrections.

Vehicles having paint corrections will be available for pickup the following day. Owners can receive photo/message updates if requested.

$20 finder's fee for referrers when total comes to $200+

Packages ( Prices may vary slightly for oversize vehicles )

More information about all packages can be given at request

Wash and Wax - $100+

This package is performed with a foam cannon + hand wash and followed by a clay bar treatment. Premium wax is applied to protect the finish and give it a nice shine.

Note that clay barring removes all surface bonded contaminants which keep the finish from being completely smooth to the touch. It also helps the wax bond to the paint which enhances the shine and provides longer protection.

Exterior Detail + 1 step correction - $175

Once the vehicle is washed + fully decontaminated, the paint is hit with a 1 step correction process to remove most minor swirls from the paint. The correction is then followed by premium wax.

Complete Exterior 2-step Correction - $250
All steps from previous packages used + two step correction process to remove most moderate imperfections (swirls/water spots/etc).

Total 3-step Correction - $315

This is the mother of all exterior packages. Again, all steps previously listed will be followed, and then most, if not all exterior imperfections will be removed with the 3 step correction process.

Interior Detail - $75

Entire interior of vehicle is vacuumed(steamed/vacuumed if needed) including removal of floor mats and the trunk. All trim is wiped down and protected including dashboard, door panels, compartments, ash trays, instruments, knobs, and air vents. All interior glass is cleaned.

Engine Bay Detail - $50

Complete Detail + Correction - $360
All exterior imperfections removed with the 3-step paint correction process, and then the interior and engine bay are meticulously treated to bring your car to showroom condition.

Other Services :

Headlight/taillight restoration - $35/ea (done by the set, i.e. both headlights/both taillights).
Removes yellowing/fading, most scratches, guaranteed to last. If imperfections return, lights will be re-restored free of charge.

Any input would be appreciated, happy detailing guys! :buffing::props:

ycdriveclean
12-22-2013, 04:39 AM
you should type out an estimation of how long each service takes. maybe not for the customers to see, but for yourself and for us to determine whether your pricing makes sense

bc a lot of people charge by the hour, or make set rates based on the estimated time it takes to get services done

looks good otherwise :xyxthumbs:

Andrew H
12-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Thanks! I updated the info on time estimates & mobility on the page, feel free to review it here
https://www.facebook.com/AttentionToDetailAtlanta/info

Given, I'm not going to charge $60+/hr like most for paint corrections. As a college student who loves the work, I can appreciate not having to work a job I hate for minimum wage like most students.

HateSwirls
12-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Sounds about right for both parties.

wrb_subie
12-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Right under attention to detail there is a sentence that is a fragment/confusing. The one that states depending on what your car specifically. May sound insignificant but grammar and spelling mean something to me if I'm dropping off a 100k+ car. Just trying to avoid you having it sound like a Craigslist ad.

Andrew H
12-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Right under attention to detail there is a sentence that is a fragment/confusing. The one that states depending on what your car specifically. May sound insignificant but grammar and spelling mean something to me if I'm dropping off a 100k+ car. Just trying to avoid you having it sound like a Craigslist ad.

Meant to have that say "what your car specifically requires." I didn't notice that, thanks. :xyxthumbs:

wrb_subie
12-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Np.. Btw dig the logo how you used the letters in to incorporate the other words.

Pureshine
12-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Are the prices for any size car? If not I would put prices starting at.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Your prices seem very low.

$360 for a three-step correction and complete detail?

How many hours does that take you?

bsmith0404
12-22-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm not familiar with your area and the average income there, so I can only assume your pricing is okay since you've been doing this for a bit. One thing I would change is your wording on the interior portion where you say floor mats and trunk are removed. I doubt you are removing the trunk! Change it to floor and trunk mats removed.

Eric@CherryOnTop
12-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Agreed with Scott, for that money you would be better off working at Wal Mart, regardless of your passion for the job.

If you ever do turn this into a full time business that is your sole source of income, getting out of that pricing schedule is going to be quite difficult.

I think your best bet is to really be honest with yourself about what you want to make hourly, then figure out how long each level of service will take you and form your prices based on that. I'm not sure what the market in Atlanta will support but I started on the low end of the pricing spectrum and then increased prices by $15 an hour after only a few months after I saw the demand. You should have no problem charging $60 an hour or more for paint correction since this is something that truly only a few people have a competent grasp of. Your investment in time / product / tools and skill development is worth that IMO.

TundraPower
12-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Way underpriced. Look at my web site.

Corey@OptimalDetailing
12-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Underpriced IMO, I knew it would be after seeing your 1-step price. I also like the thought behind your logo, but I would use a different color or print. The cracking/breaking of the letters really made my eyes go crazy for a split second, enough that I closed the browser.

Tundra - I really like your site and explanations of all your services.

Andr3wilson
12-22-2013, 01:57 PM
I would just charge by the hour. I do it $75/hr.

It's just easier way to price and protects you. If I get a return/maintenance cleaning in, or a dusty interior, I charge 1-2 hours. If I get an interior that makes me want to put a hazmat suit on, 5-10 hours depending on certain variables.

When it comes to polishing (this is where you make $ on a small production), if a customer wants a fast one step to gloss up the car, then 2-6 hours (depending on size and what's expected). If it's a full wetsand and 3 step then it's 40-100 hours. Spot scratch removal, then 1-3 hours.

It's just a lot easier and more honest to do it that way breaking down the prices to an hourly rate - customers are a lot more understanding when you do it.

Wes Bremec
12-22-2013, 02:12 PM
You can't rush paint correcting. Hourly rate is the way to go.