PDA

View Full Version : Can I call my business 'Show Car Garage'?

Pages : [1] 2

Tato
12-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Hello,

I'm a to be professional detailer. Actually I have almost everything needed to correct / polish / detail interior and exterior on every car. I work with my wife, she's a careful (and talented) wheels, exterior trim and interior detailer. While I'm doing exterior, she does interior. When we both finish, we dress exterior together. It's a Win / Win association.

A few days ago I was talking to my brother (a business man / auditor from a worldwide famous company) about my garage. He asked for my car, and I've promptly said: It's on my 'Show Car Garage'. He was Wowed, just liked that name VERY much.

That name is a gorgeous denomination even being my country language portuguese. We've adopted some english words like 'Delivery', 'Drive Thru', etc.

Can I call my business 'Show Car Garage'?, or it's somewhat AG proprietary name? Can I be in any manner an AG associate in Brazil?

After all, I'm already referring my garage (properly adapted for detailing) as 'Show Car Garage'. Can I use this name?

Feed back please

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards.

Flash Gordon
12-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Hello,

I'm a to be professional detailer. Actually I have almost everything needed to correct / polish / detail interior and exterior on every car. I work with my wife, she's a careful (and talented) wheels, exterior trim and interior detailer. While I'm doing exterior, she does interior. When we both finish, we dress exterior together. It's a Win / Win association.

A few days ago I was talking to my brother (a business man / auditor from a worldwide famous company) about my garage. He asked for my car, and I've promptly said: It's on my 'Show Car Garage'. He was Wowed, just liked that name VERY much.

That name is a gorgeous denomination even being my country language portuguese. We've adopted some english words like 'Delivery', 'Drive Thru', etc.

Can I call my business 'Show Car Garage'?, or it's somewhat AG proprietary name? Can I be in any manner an AG associate in Brazil?

After all, I'm already referring my garage (properly adapted for detailing) as 'Show Car Garage'. Can I use this name?

Feed back please

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards.

IMO it would be kinda cheesy, lame & bogus to get your company name off of something Mike created

FWIW Richard Lin owns Show Car Detailing

ShowCarDetailing.com Home of the Best Detail Shop in Orange County (http://www.showcardetailing.com/)

wlshephard
12-21-2013, 11:55 PM
I think I would try to come up with my own unique name.

Andr3wilson
12-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Well unless there is a world wide trademark on the name, you can use it in Brazil - check first.

Honestly as far as using it, it's up to you. I'm guessing people in Brazil won't know the association with it, but you will. So it's your choice.

cleanmycorolla
12-22-2013, 02:08 AM
i wouldn't do it, what if they google it, come here and think thats your work little misrepresenting

HateSwirls
12-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Great point made!

i wouldn't do it, what if they google it, come here and think thats your work little misrepresenting

Tato
12-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Hi, thank you very much for answer.

That's exactly why I've posted this question here: to hear from you.

I agree with all points of view, and absolutely will find another name to my business. Just asked because 'internally' the name looked fine, but analyzing the way you're saying, it's no good for me.

Kind Regards.

Bunky
12-22-2013, 06:43 AM
I would not worry about the name in Brasil.

There are so many detailers with the same or similar names such as "Premium Auto Detailing". Many tailor it by adding your own name to create a unique brand.

Tato
12-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Hi. The name sounded good because few brazilians do know english very well, but every (and any) brazilian can fully recognize the words Show (in Brazil we say Show), Car (Carro), and Garage (Garagem). On the other hand, I doubt any of these people know what the word 'Detailing' means.

Using the word 'Detailing' I would be easily mismatched with a 'hair stylist' or an architect for home decoration.

Bellow the 'Show Car Garage' I want to add something like: 'Restore Original Auto Shine', in portuguese, of course. I plan doing it based on Mike Phillips topic regarding how to name your business. Restore Original Auto Shine is how my client would benefit from my service.

No doubt it's a home run hit name (even in Brazil), but I don't want to get the merit over anyone... Really sorry about that.

Thanks for posting,

Kind Regards.

dcjredline
12-22-2013, 09:26 AM
I would say if you word it in your language then they would "google it" in that language and not come here by mistake...right?

If that's the case I would use it Show Carro Garagem. Sounds different enough to me.

57BORNTORUN
12-22-2013, 11:07 AM
I do not speak for Mike or Max but the term "Show Car" in a term that`s generally used in the US as a Classic or highly modified car or vehicle.Although there have been done many a newer car in the "Autogeek Show Car Garage" if you were to speak to Old School car owners they probably would not include cars newer than 20 years.It`s an unwritten term of endearment.Sorry but at car shows I walk right by newer cars and trucks unless they are highly modified with trick paint, interior, suspension, motor ect. My opinion that is shared by many.

FUNX650
12-22-2013, 12:55 PM
I do not speak for Mike or Max but the term "Show Car" in a term that`s generally used in the US as a Classic or highly modified car or vehicle.Although there have been done many a newer car in the "Autogeek Show Car Garage" if you were to speak to Old School car owners they probably would not include cars newer than 20 years.It`s an unwritten term of endearment.Sorry but at car shows I walk right by newer cars and trucks unless they are highly modified with trick paint, interior, suspension, motor ect. My opinion that is shared by many.
In America:
It seems we are often divided as to what are the determinates in the making of a Show Car.

However...
There are American vehicle organizations, that do have certain guidelines/definitions, into which vehicles are judged to belong.
Such as:
-The Antique Automobile Club of America
-The Classic Car Club of America
-Concours D'Elegance

These are what I, and many others, refer to as: Formal Definitions.
Vehicles must meet their parameters in order to enter their Car Shows and be eligible for awards.
At many of these organizations Car Shows there are some 'must see vehicles'.

At Car Shows, where I, and many others, refer to as being designated as having Informal Definitions; and more often than not:
It is up to the sponsors of these "Car Shows" to set the parameters, as to the vehicles:
To Be Shown/so entered in their Car Show; as well as the vehicles that are to be eligible for their awards.

Many 'must see vehicles' there also.

:)

Bob

Romans5.8
12-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I go to car shows all the time to look at next-years model. Even next-years economy sedan. I'm a car geek (an... autogeek?). I love cars. Everything from next years Ford Fiesta with a cool new engine the size of the one in my motorcycle yet capable of doing 100+ in a 4-door sedan, to special one-off customs and exotics. And I LOVE classic cars.

They are all 'show cars', IMHO! What MAKES them show cars, is that (usually) the manufacturers of the new cars pay or have on-staff a good detailer who (hopefully) has the car in a gorgeous, pristine condition with flawless paint, dressed tires and trim, and a dripping wet coat of glaze or wax. It may be a tottally stock sub $20,000 new sedan, but it can still be a show car.

It might not be a Muscle Car, it might not be an Exotic, it might not be a Classic, but, in my opinion, those aren't the qualifications of a showcar. The qualifications of a show car are in the condition of the car itself. If it is absolutely flawless front to back with perfect paint, not a spec of dust in sight and gorgeously dressed tires and trims (sometimes at car shows they even dress the tread on the tires), that's a show car.

Regardless, "Show Car Garage" is a catchy name and instills an anticipation when you bring your car there. It's going to be treated like a show car. Whether it's a priceless Enzo, a tricked out red pickup- or a 1995 Saturn with 250,000 miles on it.

Mike Phillips
12-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Automotive related, I own

showcargarage.com - Owned since 2002showcargarage.net
showcargarage.tv
TheArtofPolishingPaint.com
Wetsanding.com
Colorsanding.com
Dampsanding.com

(As well as a few others)

Show Car Garage is trademarked.

It's also in my logo...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/purple_showcargarage.jpg

:)

Mike Phillips
12-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Here's the story,

One day I was watching Dream Car Garage, (TV show), as well as a bunch of car guy TV shows and I was trying to think up a good domain name for a discussion forum. I mostly detailed show cars, that is special interest vehicles, and while watching Dream Car Garage I blurted out the words,

ShowCarGarage.com

Checked to see if it was taken and to my surprise it wasn't so I bought it and .net and .TV.

I had a forum up and running under TheArtofPolishingPaint.com as that was the title of my first how-to book. The forum software I used for TheArtofPolishingPaint.com was one of the free scripts, (Invision Power Board v1.1.2) and I didn't like it so I decided to bring up ShowCarGarage.com using vBulletin and after I brought it up and moved my members from TheArtofPolishingPaint to SCG I killed off TheArtofPolishingPaint but kept the domain name.

Here's a record of TheArtofPolishingPaint.com from May 3rd, 2003 (http://web.archive.org/web/20030415000000*/http://theartofpolishingpaint.com/) from the WayBackMachine.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/TAOPP_01.jpg

And here's a record of ShowCarGarage.com from April 17th, 2003 (http://web.archive.org/web/20030301000000*/http://showcargarage.com/)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/ShowCarGarageHistory.jpg

Been doing this a while...

:D