PDA

View Full Version : Griots Engine Cleaner Help

miniSguy
12-21-2013, 03:51 PM
I got some Griot's engine cleaner on a BOGO a few weeks ago and was really excited to put it to use. I also got the foamy spray nozzle with the order.

I had a chance to try it out today and was a little disappointed. I got the Odyssey prepped and started to spray. Had to adjust the nozzle a bit, but before I knew it, half of the bottle was gone. I didn't even cover half of the engine! I pressed on, trying to be more careful, but wound up using almost the entire bottle. I let it sit a bit and got my Daytona brushes out. But the dirt and gunk was not really letting go. Well I finished as best I could and dressed it out and it looks OK, but I think it could be better.

So, just to see what's going on I decided to try another product for comparison. I pulled up my daughter's Sentra and got out my DP engine cleaner. It has a "normal" spray nozzle and seemed to cover more evenly. Also, it seemed to attack the dirt and grime immediately. I continued spraying and only used about 3-4 ounces to cover the entire engine. A LOT less than the Griots. I finished dressing it out and it got all the grime out, even the places I didn't actually scrub. It looks really nice.

So, what did I do wrong with the Griots? Anyone else have this problem, or do I just need more practice?

jta98z
12-21-2013, 10:31 PM
I have a bottle sitting on my shelf that I've had for over a year and have never tried it. This makes me a bit skeptical. My experience with Griots products seems to be that some are so amazing I'd never use anything else, and others basically seem to be colored water. Unfortunately, we never know which is which until we've spent the money on them.

As for the sprayer, the foam sprayer EATS through product almost as fast as you could pour it out. If you have a standard sprayer to try, give it a shot. I'm curious if it will affect it's cleaning abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jamesboyy
12-21-2013, 10:40 PM
From what your saying it seem like you did perfect try switching the sprayer to a normal spray, and see what happens also the Groits Engine cleaner may suit a engine that has little dirt basically its just a cleaner that you use on your engine every two weeks imo

miniSguy
12-21-2013, 11:11 PM
The next chance I get, I'll pop on a conventional spray head and see what happens. I have 4 bottles of this stuff. I'd sure like it to work.

Thanks!

quantim0
12-21-2013, 11:17 PM
IMO almost everything they make is for well maintained vehicles and the strength is appropriate for those vehicles. You won't get very far on a vehicle that needs even a medium level of cleaning.

Sent from my Moto X

jta98z
12-21-2013, 11:27 PM
IMO almost everything they make is for well maintained vehicles and the strength is appropriate for those vehicles. You won't get very far on a vehicle that needs even a medium level of cleaning.

Sent from my Moto X

Well said. I was going to mention that point. Their products generally seem to be weaker than most.

I have a play car that only gets driven once a month or two and is garaged. I'm pretty sure soap and water would have cleaned my tires just as well as their rubber cleaner did.