PDA

View Full Version : White paint and my tiny orange friends

Pages : [1] 2

Meticulous-Detail
12-21-2013, 03:37 PM
So I am familiar with my little tiny orange friends that love to stick to my white Durango and have owned previous white vehicles with the same issue. I know IronX and clay will remove them and I just did this process about a month and a half ago on my Durango. I then sealed with 501/601 and topped with D156. So today I wash my silver Charger and white Durango after 3 snow storms in NYC. The Charger also had the same process done a month and a half ago. The Charger was a breeze, cleaned up nicely and then I topped with D156. The Durango was starting to turn black, last wash was 3 weeks ago and it was filthy. After a really good wash with DG901 my little orange friends are back. So my question is why do they keep coming back so soon and stick to the paint even though I a coat of DG501? Will a coating prevent them from adhering to the paint? This is just a big PIA, it was only a month and a half ago I had the paint free and clear of all contaminants and looking whiter then white.

Rockeey
12-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Nothing wrong with DG501 but I would recommend you try a quality wax or sealant as a topper.

Meticulous-Detail
12-21-2013, 04:04 PM
I don't think DG501 is the issue. I used DG501/601 combo which is a quality sealant with great protection. I also use D156 after every wash.

Kacz
12-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Was that the first time you clayed the Durango?

My initial thought is that you didn't get all the embedded particles out the first time. (This happens a lot)

A new car doesn't always have 'orange friends' all over it right away, but over time they continue to rust and become more and more noticable.

My second thought is that you live somewhere that continues to contaminate your paint, but then this would happen on both cars...hmmmmm

Yes, these 'orange friends' will stick to your LSP, IME, no matter what. Some are more resistant than others however.

These are guesses and possible causes to your issue: what do you think?

Meticulous-Detail
12-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Clayed 3 times this year. Last time was 1.5 months ago. Pretty sure I got everything. Used clay and Nanoskin wash mitt. Also DG501 is a great paint cleaner.

wrx495
12-21-2013, 04:50 PM
subbed! barely happens to my white evo but happens a lot to my mom's white 10' lexus es 350

Kacz
12-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Clayed 3 times this year. Last time was 1.5 months ago. Pretty sure I got everything. Used clay and Nanoskin wash mitt. Also DG501 is a great paint cleaner.

Ok so scratch my first thought.

What about my second one?

Meticulous-Detail
12-21-2013, 06:05 PM
I live in Staten Island, NY so that could be the problem. The roads in NY and NJ are horrible right now, black snow, dirt, debri, salt. I've owned many different colored cars and silvers and greys are by far the easiest to take care of and always look good.

Meticulous-Detail
12-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Anyone else have any other suggestions?

EddieF
12-22-2013, 08:32 AM
I live in north NJ, not far from Staten Island. My fiancé has a white Altima and I see these things all the time. The car barely moves and she still gets them. I did notice, after topping it with 845, it has lessened a lot.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-22-2013, 09:41 AM
After reading through what you have tried in the past, I would surely try a coating to lock in the paint on the next session.

Meticulous-Detail
12-22-2013, 09:52 AM
After reading through what you have tried in the past, I would surely try a coating to lock in the paint on the next session.

Yeah I think that is the way I am going to go. I have DP paint coating and will apply in the spring and maintain/boost with Sonax PNS and BSD.

DetailKitty
12-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Glad I saw this thread.... I washed our new truck yesterday (it's white), and there is orange dots everywhere.
Sigh. I'm going to have to seriously decontaminate it. I live in NE Pa..... Same deal here as NJ and NY.

ken tuep
12-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Are these spots all over, or more localized to the rear of the vehicle? My wife's car was horrible all over the rear of it, for about 25,000 miles. My thinking is the exhaust has a bunch of stuff that gets burned, or pushed out. After a while, the inside is coated with soot, trapping more iron particles in the exhaust. That's just a guess.

I also switched out to ceramic brake pads about 25,000 miles, but not sure if that was part of the issue. I used to have to iron-x like 1 time every 4-6 weeks it was so bad. I haven't done it for almost 6 months, and its been on a few long road trips sin e with no visual signs yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Just02896
12-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Swap your semi-metallic brake pads for ceramic!