PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Tried The New And Improved Garry Dean Method?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kappy
12-21-2013, 07:17 AM
If you're like me, you didn't even know there was a new and improved method, but while watching another video I noticed a link to a video of Garry's that I hadn't seen:

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ws59CEYUpC0"]UPDATED New and Improved Garry Dean Wash Method Tampa, FL detailing Infinite Use Detail Juice Detail - YouTube[/video]

Instead of the three step method that I was familiar with, which uses multiple towels for washing, a couple of these towels wrung out for drying and then a third towel for buffing, Garry has eliminated the second step. He now goes from washing directly to drying with a large waffle weave towel, and says it's just as effective and faster.

I don't care so much about the speed, but anything I can do that eliminates touching the paint will hopefully help prevent scratches. As careful as I've been, I've still managed to introduce some scratches while washing my car, so fewer steps could be an advantage.

Anyone tried the two step method, and if so, do you like it as well?

FUNX650
12-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Using a waffle-weave microfiber towel to dry and buff,
after a car wash session, is new...and improved?

Whodathunk!

Bob

custmsprty
12-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Whose Gary Dean?

swanicyouth
12-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Whose Gary Dean?

A top detailer from FL who has his own product line.

:)

As for the new method, that's how I always did it.

Kacz
12-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Whodathunk!

Bob

Quoted because of...

...the truth

Well said.

Garry Dean can't be serious...

weekendwarrior
12-21-2013, 08:55 AM
I've been doing it that way since early 2012. Not sure he invented it, nor is it new and improved. Just saying...

aim4squirrels
12-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Whose Gary Dean?

Entrepreneur and shameless self promoter.

Kind of like Chemical Guys, but smaller scale.

pld
12-21-2013, 09:02 AM

ah ohhhh, like CG Feed back please

Corey@OptimalDetailing
12-21-2013, 09:09 AM
A) It took him long enough to figure this out from 'his' old method?
B) It seems he doesn't do anything EXCEPT promote his own stuff. I know he's done reviews on products on his YouTube channel, but most of it is him talking about non-sense.

Shortspark
12-21-2013, 09:22 AM
When I was a kid growing up in upstate NY, I had to wash my parent's car in the detached garage during the winter. It was always cold and snow and it was a chore just to keep the water from freezing. I would carry several buckets of water from the house to the garage and filled them with car soap, along with one or two buckets of clear rinse water. I then used old towels to wash and dry one panel at a time. You had to do it one panel at a time or the water would freeze on the car.

The only difference between what Gary does and what I did back then is that he uses special soap (rinseless wash) and microfiber towels, which in the 1950s were unheard of. Over the last half century the products have improved but the method has remained essentially the same.

Kacz
12-21-2013, 09:34 AM
When I was a kid growing up in upstate NY, I had to wash my parent's car in the detached garage during the winter. It was always cold and snow and it was a chore just to keep the water from freezing. I would carry several buckets of water from the house to the garage and filled them with car soap, along with one or two buckets of clear rinse water. I then used old towels to wash and dry one panel at a time. You had to do it one panel at a time or the water would freeze on the car.

The only difference between what Gary does and what I did back then is that he uses special soap (rinseless wash) and microfiber towels, which in the 1950s were unheard of. Over the last half century the products have improved but the method has remained essentially the same.

This is what I've said before; he hasn't invented anything he just promotes this type of wash method more than anyone and calls it his own. I wasn't around in the 50s, but my grandfather and dad did this type of car washing however many years ago.

...but like you said rinse less products weren't around.

I think I asked a question like "why is this called the GD method?"

He makes money off this promoting, so good for him...but he didn't 'invent' anything.

Brian

jartx
12-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Wow, I was using the "new improved" method and didn't even realize it. I've always done it this way.

Klasse Act
12-21-2013, 09:49 AM

Whodathunk!

Bob

Agreed! I've been pre-soaking, grabbing a towel, folding it into 4's and doing the cleaning and then dry right away.....wait, I've already been doing this, LOL! Why in the heck would you be "buffing" anything when washing your car, LOL!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

custmsprty
12-21-2013, 10:03 AM
A top detailer from FL who has his own product line.

:)

As for the new method, that's how I always did it.

I've lived in Tampa for 32 years and never heard of the guy. :doh:

KillaCam
12-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Can't believe it took him this long to realize waffle weave towels are good for drying.