PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Restoration Video by Luxury Auto Spa

LuxuryAutoSpa
12-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Got a call about some foggy Frog eyes :eek: on a Acura, she was debating on get some new ones or run the risk of trying to get someone to restore them.:work: I told her she called the right person for the job, i told her to let me come by and check them out because to her they were horrible, to my eye, i was like no problem:righton:.

600 grit
1200 grit
menzerna compound - final finish - powerlock

cyclo polisher yellow pad - white for PL

Looks like Brand New :dblthumb2:

video

Headlight Restoration by Luxury Auto Spa of Albany Ga - YouTube (http://youtu.be/KexhoDMHU0c)

LuxuryAutoSpa
12-20-2013, 10:50 PM
it's okay to comment, not everybody at once...lmao

MarkD51
12-20-2013, 10:50 PM
You see those headlights you pictured. Well, I did a pair on a Cadillac CTS yesterday as a favor to a friend, as one good turn deserves another I figured.

The Headlights you show look like mint condition compared to the pair I did. These were literally white, and the passenger side was at some point restored by God knows who, and God knows what they "coated" the Light with?

Whatever it was, maybe Spar Varnish, it was yellow, and hard as nails.

I got caught with my pants down on this little job, bringing only 1000, 1200,1500 2000 grit papers. I actually needed 400, and the way I got worked, I thought for a second that an angle grinder might've been a better tool!

With the 1000 paper (by hand), and for how long I worked per light, I "saw the light", and conclude for any future headlight restos, I better have some more aggressive papers in my arsenal. I've used papers on the little drill plates (3M?) in the past. They might be faster, but I've messed up once on my own car, running over past the light, and onto the paint with a moment of a lack of concentration, even though the lights were masked well.

After at least a 1/2 hour per light (just wet sanding), I was able to remove about 98% of the damage and coating, then went onto WG Uber Compound, and then Megs 205, using 4" LC HT Pads (Cyan and Orange) on my PC 7424XP with 3.5" Backing Plate. I could still see some really deep etching into the plastic after I was done, these lenses were really beat.

Sorry I have no before, or after pics, but they were much improved. Before, they had to be absolutely useless on the road at night.

What I used as a Sealant-Coating, was some Pinnacle GL Paint Coating, figuring this had to be better than just a simple wax, or sealant.

Some good lessons learned with this one.
Mark

The Guz
12-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Nice job. They came out great.

LuxuryAutoSpa
12-20-2013, 11:22 PM
@ Mark, i have been there and done that, and you are right because i started out with 1000 plus sand paper, but due to how she described them i went out and bought some 600 i already had some 1200, so since i had the six i said why not, i think i made the right choice.....

thanks Gus

MarkD51
12-20-2013, 11:32 PM
@ Mark, i have been there and done that, and you are right because i started out with 1000 plus sand paper, but due to how she described them i went out and bought some 600 i already had some 1200, so since i had the six i said why not, i think i made the right choice.....

thanks Gus

Gus, Here, in New Mexico, I've seen so many vehicles with totally shot headlights. Just unbelieveable! I'd say 4 in 10 on the road. Many of these vehicles are but a scant 3-5 years old.

Living most of my life in the Midwest, I think it would take 20+ years for such housings to get as bad as they do here in just a few short years. Maybe it's the intense heat? Maybe the dry dusty conditions, and high winds at times also contribute?

I think one other vital aspect, is that people here just do not properly take care of their cars either. It's a shame that they do not see a $25,000 to $50,000 vehicle as an important expensive investment to be better cared for.