PDA

View Full Version : Taping. Why?

Pages : [1] 2

SonyHome
12-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Newbie question. Why do you tape off certain parts of the car when detailing?

miniSguy
12-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Taping is a preventative measure.

Taping ridges in paint prevents you from taking off too much paint on thinner areas.

Taping trim and emblems prior to polishing prevents the areas from being discolored and requiring extra cleanup from build-up.

Taping does require a few extra minutes, but is well worth the effort. I still have some trim on my car that has residue that could have been prevented If only I'd taped.

HateSwirls
12-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Very well said man:dblthumb2:
Nothing more for me to add:)

Taping ridges in paint prevents you from taking off too much paint on thinner areas.

Taping trim and emblems prior to polishing prevents the areas from being discolored and requiring extra cleanup from build-up.

Taping does require a few extra minutes, but is well worth the effort. I still have some trim on my car that has residue that could have been prevented If only I'd taped.

Coach Steve
12-20-2013, 02:53 PM
If you're asking about the reason for taping in general, miniSguy covered it completely. If you're talking about the pics/vids of two areas separated by a strip of tape, those are to clearly show the line between two areas that are being compared - before and after. There are also some pics/vids you've probably seen where a section of the car (hood, fender, etc.,) is sectioned into 2'x2' squares. Many noobs will tape off 2x2 sections and work them one at a time since that's the ideal size of a section to work... not too big and not too little. They'll do that until they get the feel for that size section in their minds then the tape is no longer necessary.

SonyHome
12-20-2013, 03:18 PM

Thank you. What are the areas you should be taping on your sedan before starting? Chrome trims? Emblems?

SonyHome
12-20-2013, 03:20 PM
If you're asking about the reason for taping in general, miniSguy covered it completely. If you're talking about the pics/vids of two areas separated by a strip of tape, those are to clearly show the line between two areas that are being compared - before and after. There are also some pics/vids you've probably seen where a section of the car (hood, fender, etc.,) is sectioned into 2'x2' squares. Many noobs will tape off 2x2 sections and work them one at a time since that's the ideal size of a section to work... not too big and not too little. They'll do that until they get the feel for that size section in their minds then the tape is no longer necessary.

Thanks. I was referencing in general. What are the areas that need to be taped off? What's good tape to get for polishing?

miniSguy
12-20-2013, 03:29 PM
I tape immediately prior to a polishing process, after a thorough cleaning (wash).

If I'm polishing the winshield or other windows, I do those prior to working on the paint and tape off to prevent getting the window polish on the trim or paint.

Likewise, once the glass is done, I remove the tape and reapply fresh tape to work on the painted areas with the same idea. Tape off areas such as door handles, mirrors, winshield washer spouts, wheel trim, etc. Anything that will cause more work later.

Once the tape is removed, you can usually brighten up the emblems and such with some QD spray or a spray carnuba-based wax.

miniSguy
12-20-2013, 03:32 PM
I use the automotive paint tape and not the blue stuff you get at Lowe's. You can get it here on AG or any auto parts store in varying widths for your specific application.

SonyHome
12-20-2013, 03:37 PM
I use the automotive paint tape and not the blue stuff you get at Lowe's. You can get it here on AG or any auto parts store in varying widths for your specific application.

Darn, I just place my order from AG with bunch of stuff two days ago! :doh:

What are common tape people get here and widths?

tpr1634
12-20-2013, 04:46 PM

What is the differents between the two, I use the blue painters tape with no problems, how do they compare in cost.

HateSwirls
12-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Taping off my trim doesn't take long and saves me time die to not staining any trim.

Jersey John
12-20-2013, 08:39 PM
I use blue painter's tape with no problem and as people have said it is a preventative measure. I use a polish sometimes that will stain if it comes in contact with trim so when I use it I tape of trim.

miniSguy
12-20-2013, 11:22 PM
In my experience, the blue tape tends to stick a little too much to some surfaces, requiring more clean-up afterwards. Also, it can leave a residue, especially if you are taping over vinyl. I still have some tape residue on my MINI stripes that I cannot get off.

Also, I have found the automotive painter's tape easier to conform to the complex shapes in one pass.

I'm sure many have had good results with the cheaper tape, but for me the automotive tape is the best option.:props:

greatwhitenorth
12-20-2013, 11:33 PM
I use yellow 3m automotive tape, it seems to be a good balance of sticking but not too strong, and it has a bit if a coating on it so you don't drag the adhesive all over the panel if you hit it with the polisher

kochdalton87
12-20-2013, 11:59 PM
I have and use 3M 233+ (green) automotive tape and have no complaints. It's available at any local auto parts store and works great.