PDA

View Full Version : Detailer’s Coating Prep Polish

RobertJ34
12-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding Detailer’s Coating Prep Polish

I plan to use Detailer’s Paint Coating and will be using the Prep polish prior. That being said, I currently have a sealant on my car. Will the prep polish remove this sealant so I can properly put the DP Coating on the paint?

I read about the polish and see it removes the wax, but just want to double check in regards to sealant?

Thanks! Enjoy your Holidays!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Which sealant is on your car and how long has it been there?

RobertJ34
12-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Which sealant is on your car and how long has it been there?

Griot's Paint Sealant, about two months

I was thinking about waiting a bit, probably another two months, just wanted to check prior to jumping into it.

Klasse Act
12-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Just let the GG product do its thing and then use the DPPP, then apply the DPPC and stand back and enjoy. Have something to look forward to this spring I say!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Nick McKees37
12-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding Detailer’s Coating Prep Polish

I plan to use Detailer’s Paint Coating and will be using the Prep polish prior. That being said, I currently have a sealant on my car. Will the prep polish remove this sealant so I can properly put the DP Coating on the paint?

I read about the polish and see it removes the wax, but just want to double check in regards to sealant?

Thanks! Enjoy your Holidays!

DP Coating Prep Polish will remove all polymer, acrylic, and carnauba-based protective waxes and sealants. :dblthumb2:

RobertJ34
12-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Just let the GG product do its thing and then use the DPPP, then apply the DPPC and stand back and enjoy. Have something to look forward to this spring I say!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

DP Coating Prep Polish will remove all polymer, acrylic, and carnauba-based protective waxes and sealants. :dblthumb2:

I was thinking that, Klasse Act, Gives me something to look forward too!:xyxthumbs:

Thank you, Nick. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the replies guys. Take care

shagnat
12-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Would using the DP Coating Prep Polish be a good idea to use if you bought a 3 y/o car with metallic paint and start fresh? I don't know the car's history but it looks for sure to have been a daily driver and moderate to minimal care regarding detailing.

Mike Phillips
12-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Would using the DP Coating Prep Polish be a good idea to use if you bought a 3 y/o car with metallic paint and start fresh? I don't know the car's history but it looks for sure to have been a daily driver and moderate to minimal care regarding detailing.

In the last few weeks I've buffed out two brand spanking new cars, one with 200 miles on it and I'm not sure how many miles were on the 2014 Audi Q5 but both cars needed to be clayed or mechanically decontaminated and thus afterwards I machine polished and because I machine polished I then used the Black Label Surface Prep Polish, similar to The DP Coating Prep Polish to prep the paint for application of Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

So from experience, most new cars should be inspected for the whole works...

But chances are good, you should do a complete detail to this 3 year old car.

:)

Nick McKees37
12-20-2013, 04:39 PM

Check out how much gunk DP Coating Prep Polish removed from a brand-new Civic.

DP Coating Prep Polish vs. Embedded Dirt (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/72232-dp-coating-prep-polish-vs-embedded-dirt.html)

You'll often hear people say that the polishing step is more important than the waxing/sealing/coating step, and that's pretty accurate considering that your wax, sealant, or coating won't bond properly if the surface isn't squeaky clean.

There are several types of polish, some that are designed for swirl and scratch removal, and others that are non-abrasive and focus more on the chemical cleaning aspect. That latter is designed for vehicles that don't have swirls, scratches, or water spots. That was the case with a vehicle that Bryan is detailing today - a 2013 Honda Civic.

Even though this particular Civic is a 2013 model, it still has embedded dirt. Not only does this embedded dirt hinder gloss, color, and clarity, it will prevent the coating that Bryan is going to apply from properly bonding, thus making all his hard work pointless.

http://autogeekonline.net/nick/DP%20Prep%20Polish/DSCN5832.JPG

http://autogeekonline.net/nick/DP%20Prep%20Polish/DSCN5826.JPG

http://autogeekonline.net/nick/DP%20Prep%20Polish/DSCN5849.JPG

:dblthumb2:

shagnat
12-21-2013, 06:50 PM
In the last few weeks I've buffed out two brand spanking new cars, one with 200 miles on it and I'm not sure how many miles were on the 2014 Audi Q5 but both cars needed to be clayed or mechanically decontaminated and thus afterwards I machine polished and because I machine polished I then used the Black Label Surface Prep Polish, similar to The DP Coating Prep Polish to prep the paint for application of Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

So from experience, most new cars should be inspected for the whole works...

But chances are good, you should do a complete detail to this 3 year old car.
:)
Mike, do you EVER sleep!!!!!
I did a good wash job and clayed the car. So, would using either the DP Coating Pre Polish or the Black Label Surface Prep Polish be where I need to begin?
Thanks so much for all your help and input.

Mike Phillips
12-23-2013, 08:48 AM
I did a good wash job and clayed the car.

So, would using either the DP Coating Pre Polish or the Black Label Surface Prep Polish be where I need to begin?

Yes.

As long as you're happy with the finish quality at this point, that is if the paint has swirls or not. You can seal and coat over swirls. Some people don't care about the swirls and scratches they just want to protect the paint.

So if you're happy with the finish quality after washing, drying and then claying then prep with either of the pre-coating polishes and then seal with the coating.

:xyxthumbs: