PDA

View Full Version : How to get old all weather floormats looking new again?

kosoku
12-20-2013, 12:12 AM
I have some gray all weather floormats that are not completely gray any longer. They're covered in stains and in some cases mold (had a leak in the car that put water underneath the mat).
Will a hot water extractor rented from Home Depot do anything to clean these? I'm thinking it will take steam cleaning of some sort.

jamesboyy
12-20-2013, 12:48 AM
If these are carpet floor mats just give it a good vaccuming then spray folex then with a stiff brush scrub the mess out of it then use the rug doctor to extract/rinse the carpet you may have to these two three times till clean like you want but if they are removeable matts then just replace

Pureshine
12-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Are they part carpet?

Harry Da Hamster
12-20-2013, 01:03 AM
I'm a bit confused. Are they all weather floor mats? Or carpet floor mats?

If they're all weather floor mats, just clean them with APC.

kosoku
12-21-2013, 12:13 AM
They're rubber, not carpet.
I tried CG All Clean + Citrus at full strength and it didn't do the trick. They hadn't been cleaned in years.

BlkHemiLTD
12-21-2013, 02:05 AM
I would APC, agitate with stiff brush, let dwell a min or two then pressure wash. Im assuming the carpet extractor was meant for under the mats, I was confused as well why you need it for rubber mats.

Meticulous-Detail
12-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Are they factory or aftermarket? If they are aftermarket just go to Costco or BJ's and pick a really nice set up for 15-20. They can be trimmed to fit your car.

bsmith0404
12-21-2013, 06:58 AM
If they are in the condition you are saying they're in, you will not get them looking new. The petroleum has reacted with the rubber/dye and discolored it. Results of people walking through all of those nice oil stains we see in a parking lot and then transferring it from their shoes to the rubber. You can only get them clean, you can't make them look new.

ski2
12-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Weathertech has a dedicated spray for floormats that does not make them slippery--you might give that a try.

"FloorLinerTM and FloorMat Protector

This product imparts a strong, durable coating to the floor mats that resists scuff marks, staining and everyday wear and tear. In addition, the product dries to an anti-slip finish."

kosoku
12-21-2013, 06:43 PM
They're factory mats. I dunno, I was thinking with something like a steamcleaner it might get them looking near new again.

Vegas Transplant
12-21-2013, 07:30 PM
If they are in the condition you are saying they're in, you will not get them looking new. The petroleum has reacted with the rubber/dye and discolored it. Results of people walking through all of those nice oil stains we see in a parking lot and then transferring it from their shoes to the rubber. You can only get them clean, you can't make them look new.

+1.
Cant turn a pickle back into a cucumber.

Dogfather
12-21-2013, 09:03 PM
I lay mine on the ground, spray liberally with a good APC and let dwell a few minutes. Then I go over them thoroughly with a nylon car wash brush on a pole (the kind you wouldn't use on your paint) and hose off. Finish with Duragloss 253.

Romans5.8
12-21-2013, 09:30 PM
If they are stained from oils like the previous poster said, you won't 'unfade' them. Any trim stains or other products could transfer to the pedals from your feet and become dangerous. Steam, et al will get them plenty clean! But won't un-discolor the rubber.