PDA

View Full Version : am I doing too much?

flat-top
12-19-2013, 01:53 PM
on most cars this is my process...I just wonder if I can cut out the Dura Gloss step

wash
clay
correct with orange pad 105 or Meguiars PRC
yellow pad Dura Gloss 105 or yellow #26
sealant by hand.

thanks,
Jeff

parttimer
12-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Depends on the car, a dark car with soft paint getting whacked by an orange pad is going to need a polish IMO.

Mike Phillips
12-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Depends on the car, a dark car with soft paint getting whacked by an orange pad is going to need a polish IMO.

A agree.

If you're doing this for money and want to reduce steps but still get good results,

A: Don't promise your customer's 100% swirl free results.
B: Look at a good medium cut polish for the first step and a wax or sealant for the last step.

How about this, Optimum Finish wit a polishing pad, wipe off residue and spray on Optimum Car Wax at same time.

Or Sonax Perfect Finish followed by Polymer Net Shield

:)

mwoolfso
12-19-2013, 03:02 PM
If this is the process you use on a regular basis and when you say "105" you always mean "DG105", then I would say YES you can cut out a step.

However, I would look to cut out PRC before DG105 unless you are positive you do not get enough benefits from DG105.

As it relates to pad use, yellow pads are generally aggressive cutting but if you meant "gold" or "finishing" pad you are fine with that sequence.

Here is what I would start off as a base maintenance detail with those polishing and wax products:

--> Wash, Clay, DG105/White, #26

If DG105/White doesn't work well enough for you then substitute with PRC/White or PRC/Orange.

I don't understand "sealant by hand" as the last step so I am hoping that is just the way your message was formatted. After #26 (which I think you mean Megs #26), you should be done.

flat-top
12-20-2013, 08:25 AM
thank you everyone!

yes, the last step would be Sonax sealant, done by hand, not random orbital polisher.

I was told that Meguiars PRC isn't strong enough to last on it's own. I really like how it reduces swirls and scratches.

masuofani
01-03-2014, 06:06 PM
I agree. You can.