PDA

View Full Version : Opinions and experience, please.

pld
12-19-2013, 06:33 AM
I'm ready to buy either the griots or porter cable random orbital polisher both w/ 5" backing plates, out of the two which one is better for me. It's for my truck and wifes car, so used sparingly.Thank's.:xyxthumbs:

HateSwirls
12-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Well I have both of them and both like them both.
I first bought the PC , used it for a year then wanted to buy another DA with more bite.
I bought the Griot's DA.
It has twicee the power than my PC, it's like night and day, the GG6 is very hard to bog down, the PC lacks power when working on curved panels.
It's really your call but take my word for it, the GG6 is superior to the PC, you'll love it, they both accept different backing plates, I use the 5.5 inch pads and find them to give me more cut, most are now using the smaller pads.
I can't tell you how many cars I corrected with my GG6 and I'm talking about some trashed ones too, it can handle even the worst.
It's an amazing DA.

ski2
12-19-2013, 06:56 AM
+1 on the Griots with a 5" backing plate!! It can handle anything you throw at it with the right pads and polishs. Don't forget it has a lifetime warranty. Since you'll only be doing your cars you might use it 5-10 times a year--imagine after a couple of years something goes wrong--you call Griots, send it in and they'll repair or replace it.

KS_Detailing
12-19-2013, 06:58 AM
GG6 :dblthumb2: Get some earplugs, its loud!

pld
12-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Thank's for the responses; I'm going to get the Griots w/5" backplate. As far as pads are the flat foam Buff and Shine Pads as good as Lake Country. Should I use CCS or Flat foam pads? Thank's.

Pureshine
12-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Griots for sure much better product :)

Centexhokie
12-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Thank's for the responses; I'm going to get the Griots w/5" backplate. As far as pads are the flat foam Buff and Shine Pads as good as Lake Country. Should I use CCS or Flat foam pads? Thank's.

Good call on the GG6. I replaced my PC with the GG6 and couldn't be happier with it. Opinions vary on the pads. I like the CCS myself, but you will find others who prefer the Flat Foam.

pointillistic_practitioner
12-19-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm ready to buy either the griots or porter cable random orbital polisher both w/ 5" backing plates, out of the two which one is better for me. It's for my truck and wifes car, so used sparingly.Thank's.:xyxthumbs:

IMO, get the griots. Reasons: 1) More powerful, doesn't bog down as much 2) Griot's has a lifetime warranty 3) Griot's customer svc (in my dealings with them) has been teriffic. Also not a big price difference between the two. If I'm not mistaken, the PC has 5 spds and GG has 6 also. my gg's speed switch broke....and was repaired promptly. broke again... so they sent me a new polisher at no extra cost (the new one cost a bit more than the old one too so it was very generous).

Well I have both of them and both like them both.
I first bought the PC , used it for a year then wanted to buy another DA with more bite.
I bought the Griot's DA.
It has twicee the power than my PC, it's like night and day, the GG6 is very hard to bog down, the PC lacks power when working on curved panels.
It's really your call but take my word for it, the GG6 is superior to the PC, you'll love it, they both accept different backing plates, I use the 5.5 inch pads and find them to give me more cut, most are now using the smaller pads.
I can't tell you how many cars I corrected with my GG6 and I'm talking about some trashed ones too, it can handle even the worst.
It's an amazing DA.
Personally, I found the PC to feel cheap and not powerful at all.

+1 on the Griots with a 5" backing plate!! It can handle anything you throw at it with the right pads and polishs. Don't forget it has a lifetime warranty. Since you'll only be doing your cars you might use it 5-10 times a year--imagine after a couple of years something goes wrong--you call Griots, send it in and they'll repair or replace it.
Yes, get the 5" BP and use 5.5" pads. I have always used CCS (though I recently swithced to the flat pads and I like them a bit more). Both will do the job, though. I find the flat pads easier to clean while working though.

GG6 :dblthumb2: Get some earplugs, its loud!
This too...it has a very high pitched-oscillation that can be irritating if not wearing ear protection. Then, your friends/wife/significant other will come over and ask you to help detail their sailboat, or help with the dishes, or take out the trash...and you just won't be able to hear them! :buffing::laughing:

Romans5.8
12-19-2013, 07:35 PM
I bought the GG6 for occasional use as well. It is loud and has a lot of vibration but I don't use it that often so it's really not the end of the world!

spiralout462
12-19-2013, 07:40 PM
I am very happy with my Porter Cable and have no desire to switch to a Griot's. I does everything I need it to and more.